German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get everything together for the homecoming of my new GSD puppy and I was wondering what size crate everyone uses for their GSDs. We expect her to be around 75 to 80 lbs (her mother is 75, her father is 95.)

What size crate should we get? We were thinking of the 42"

What do you use for your own dogs?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have 2 large 42 inch cage crates which I use as a tool for calmimg and sleeping at night. The 2 crates were given to me when we opened our home up for 2 mostly outdoor sisters in a 10 x 30 kennel @ 2 1/2 years old, I use the crates for calming as I am training these two into being indoors with us and I hope one day with no crate at all. I have friends that started with a 42 inch for there male lab and now they do not use it at all. It is funny to watch actually the 3 gsd's I have now all want to be next to us so more often latly they may go in the crate but try to be with us as much as they can and that works best for our home and circumstances. We have not experimented yet in leaving them out of there crates when we go out but that will come one day I am certain.

·
Super Moderator
7,712 Posts
i use a 42" as well, my male is 25" 75lbs and fits quite comfortably. it is an iCrate from PetsMart and came with a divider which is useful for a growing pup.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
You would want to start with a small crate for housebreaking purposes. One that is just large enough for them to turn around in and sleep comfortably as puppies (in theory!) will not soil their sleeping area. So you don't have to buy several, you can get one with a moveable divider which was mentioned already. We tried that this time and it worked really well. We like the wire crates, don't like the plastic ones - too claustrophobic. I like the idea of more air circulation especially on warmer days and them being able to see things that they couldn't see if we used a plastic crate.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
When we bought Rocky we got the largest crate we could with the divider and just sectioned it off for him as he grew. I believe it is 48" and I know it is the life stages from Petsmart. He hasnt been in a crate in over a year, but the fold up realtively flat for storage.

Rocky is between 85 and 90 lbs and he is 26-1/2 inches.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
ThunderBunz (Grimm) happily wedges himself into his 500 series crate. He LOVES it! I am kidding about "wedging himself".. it is an ideal fit. And, he is about 87 - 90 lbs and 27" tall with a fat head and jumbo bum and clodhopper paws. Too roomy is not what they want. Grimm can relax, lay down, turn around-- but not gallump about like in an X-pen. He happily goes in there on his own a few times during the night. It's a place for good things and always has been-- new toys, snacks, naps.
Rough life, huh?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I purchased the plastic crate for the puppy stage on the advice of my breeder and made a divider out of plywood with a frame for the housebreaking phase. I also purchased a wire crate when she got older for the increased air circulation for night time sleeping. Believe it or not, she prefers the plastic crate and goes in it on her own.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't know the measurements of our crate but it's the size for a Great Dan. we brought our boy home at 9 weeks old. he weighed 17.5 lbs. i was a little concerned about it being to large for him in regards to him going to the bathroom in it. he soiled his crate once but that was due to a upset stomach and i left him in there to long. if you buy a larger crate you can block it off. i didn't block mine off and everything was fine. i took my dog out alot probably more than what was neccessary. my dog had full run of the house from day one. we kept the bedroom doors closed and the bathroom door closed. our house is small so it was easy to watch him. he wasn't out of our sight at all. we used his crate at night and when we were out. he was out of his crate at 4 months old. then he decided to eat the house and everything in it at 6 months old so back to the crate he went. he's 14 months old now but i still crate him when we're not home.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Like Patti said make the crate a fun place to go, not long he will refer it to his safe place, All our house dogs have one and really don't need it but they go in it during the day without it being closed

·
Registered
288 Posts
We had a 36" crate with the divider panel when we brought Link home at 9 weeks. At about 7 months we moved him into a 42" because he had out grown the other one. They are both wire crates which Link loves. He is 8 months old and 70lbs and 26". Good luck with your new puppy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Petmate Med. Vari Kennel for puppy size and I just set up an Marchioro Ithaka Clipper #6. Its 36 1/2 by 25 1/2 by 27 H. It says it will fit a dog up to 111 pounds but I don't think I would use it for over 60-70, its not very tall. For quick trips it will be great. Wish it hand a handle on top though!! I really like Vari kennels. I would love to have a 500.

Other then that I have a huge 36 X 48 wire crate that is good for later that all my dogs loved with a blanket over it to make it cozy.
Cat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts