German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK dog is new to us, only 1 week in the house at the time of the incident.
He is about 9 years old. My in-laws come over for drinks and snacks, and they brought a ball chew toy. Kyle (neutered male GSD) instantly loved it and my 12 yr. old son played with him for quite a while with it. Later my 16 yr. old son thought he was playing with him, but Kyle snapped at him when he took the ball from him and got his hand and the ball at the same time. It wasn't malicious and the dog was a little freaked out by the incident. I was about to say something to my son just before it happened. I got up quickly, made the dog go lay in the corner (we were on the deck outside) and took the toy from him.
I tried not to make a big deal of it, and his wound healed quickly. Long scratch on the back of his hand, and a small puncture.
My 12 yr. old simply has faster reflexes, and my 16 yr. old isn't really dog savvy.
How should I have handled this? Beating dogs isn't on my list of fun things to do.
The only aggressive thing this dog has done is to try and go after a kitten.
I was walking him and I had a little trouble controlling him. Something else is weird in that house so maybe it wasn't the kitten. That was a little disturbing, but the choke collar is on all the time outside now.

Thanks

Jim

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
It was an accident. Clearly he has bite inhibition as it sounds like your son was fine. I play with my boy all the time and he sometimes gets my hand while I'm holding a ball...he usually knows better and will stop right away, but in general he doesn't really bite down hard when he feels skin anyways.

If you want the dog to know not to do that...don't give him a chance to do it...so don't let anyone play with a toy that is completely in their hand. Find something where the hand is removed from where the dog is biting.

Personally...I wouldn't have punished the dog. This was both party's fault and the dog wasn't actually trying to bite he was just playing and wanted the ball. Sounds to me like you have a very good dog on your hands who knows better than to bite humans and understands what a game is. He sounds like he has a lot of play/prey drive. It's a good thing...awesome to see in a 9 year old.

Teach your son to play with him properly...don't do anything about the dog.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I agree with the first post. I don't think it was totally the dogs fault here. He was playing. A 9yr. old GSD could do alot more damage if he meant to. The dog as well as the people interacting with him need to understand how to have propper play interaction. I'm not sure in what way you were playing with him with a ball, but he needs to be trained with on a release command, then sit and wait commands. They are very easy to learn for the dog but you have to be consistent with it. This would go along ways to help avoid another incident like this one. Cruz is 6 months, he knows to sit and wait and we're working on a release command now. He gets it, but fights his prey drive in releasing his toy sometimes but he's learning that it's a game. It'll come.

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
My lab use to do the same thing to everybody. I didn't know how to train her properly at the time and just put up with it. One time she took out my thumb nail, hurt like &@$! So much for soft mouth.

·
Registered
30,372 Posts
Jax nails my hands on a regular basis. She gets excited and wants her frisbee. She's not trying to hurt me. Sounds like that is the same as your situation.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I agree with the above .

ALso just wanted to add, I wouldn't leave a choke collar on the dog unattended.

Many dogs end up choking themselves/dying from accidents with choke collars on..in fact I leave no collars on my dogs unless I'm off my property (it's fenced)..to many accidents waiting to happen with collars

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent, thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Yes, I did read about some of the horror stories of the collars in the house and started removing them indoors. It is much quieter also.
He is the best dog we have ever had. He really is incredible.

Besides the kids will be out of here before the dog hopefully!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I taught my dog the " mine" command. When we are playing ball, if I want it I say " mine" and they back away from it so I can take it. I still get nailed on occasional by the over enthusiastic dog, but its much better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I taught my dog the " mine" command. When we are playing ball, if I want it I say " mine" and they back away from it so I can take it. I still get nailed on occasional by the over enthusiastic dog, but its much better.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree that punishment is not needed, it was an accident

You can work on impulse control by making him sit and wait for the toy (ball, tug, etc) while playing, that can calm down a session while still keeping the fun in it.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
If you need to keep a collar on it's best to use leather. Everyone has to get used to each other. My oldest dog doesn't like to give up the ball, he will allow me to pry it from his mouth but it's easier to use 2 balls. One I throw for him and when he comes back I am tossing the other ball and catching it myself. Of course that ball looks great so he drops the ball from his mouth and I throw mine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Excellent, thanks for the responses, I appreciate it.

Yes, I did read about some of the horror stories of the collars in the house and started removing them indoors. It is much quieter also.
He is the best dog we have ever had. He really is incredible.

Besides the kids will be out of here before the dog hopefully!
I think you did the right thing. I would have done the same, while keep training.
Good Luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts