German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know Bella has some fear issues. I must say that she is making great progress and I am proud of her!

On sunday we took Bella to the swamp garden. Its a good place to socialize. Lots of people and sometimes dogs. We were on a narrower trail. Large enough for one or two people side by side. I had Bella and as people would come towards us I would just step aside and have her sit. She did great! Eventually she was paying no attention to these other people. Then we come across an employee with a leaf blower. Why he was blowing a very busy dirt trail on sunday afternoon is beyond me...Bella didnt like the noise at all. The guy stopped blowing but it was idling. He stopped in place in the middle of the trail and was waiting for us to pass. When we got close Bella just got as flat as she could and wouldnt move. The man wouldnt move either so we had a standoff to see who should move first. I tried to motion him to move ahead a few feet so I could get Bella passed but he wouldnt budge. I guess if he moved up and lost his place he'd have to backtrack and reblow the trail. Anyway, Bella wasnt going to move. She was pretty upset. So I picked her up and carried her past. She had a prong on so I didnt want to drag her away. It was clear that she wasnt going to move with that darn leaf blower in her face. I was really upset after this! I mean, why couldnt he just take two steps away from us? I am sure that I shoulndt have carried her. But what else could I do? Advice would be great because I am sure this may happen again in the future. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Sarge is like that too. He hates lawnmowers or anything with a small motor that makes noise, weedeaters, things like that. I bought a new riding lawnmower last spring. I started it up in the backyard and sarge starts barking and jumping around trying to bite the tires. So I turned it off. Then was trying to figure how to get on with me!!! lol

If it had been sarge and I, I would have said, hey pal!! turn that thing off until we pass, your scaring my dog. I have no patience for people like that. It had to be plain the blower was scaring the dog. He should have just turned it off and moved aside until you guys passed. He just wanted to be a butthead. Trouble generally starts when I meet people like that.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wow, Duke is like that too, now with my vacuum and swifter, he tried to bite and he barks the whole time I vacuuming or mopping. I never quit doing my task at hand thinking if I act normal, maybe he will too, but yea that hasn't worked.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Jen how old is Bella? If you can carry her I am thinking puppy and it might just be an experience she has to get use to. Rocky is scared of strange stuff to, but not noises. He has issues with skateboards, and he doesnt like the noise that BB guns make but he is not scared of fireworks.

She will get there. It sounds like you are doing great with her. I probably would of picked up my pup to. The longer she stayed there the harder it may be for her to overcome it.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bella is almost 10 months old so picking her up was not an easy task! she is just about 55 pounds.

I know she was pretty scared by that blower and after I got past the guy I started to get mad. First of all, it was sunday after noon. The park was the busiest I had ever seen. Why leaf blow right then and there? I just think he should have moved. I didnt speak to him. The leaf blower was in my ear as I was bent down so he couldnt have heard me. But I am 5'4 115 pounds. He must have seen me struggle to get her up! Whats funny is that my husband was there and I could have let him handle it but I was bound and determined to pick her up and do it myself!

·
Registered
15,957 Posts
Your post is headed "What should I have done differently" -- My take on it, why put your dog in that position? You heard the leaf blower, you saw the leaf blower. You could have turned around and found a different path. (Bella had done really well. Sometimes it helps to quit while you are ahead on things like this instead of pushing until you get a problem.) You could have asked the employee if he could turn off the blower completely or step off the path instead of not speaking. (If you want people to do something ask them to do it. You'd do that for your dog.) The way you reacted seems like you were annoyed. If you were, Bella probably picked that up, too. Another thing you could have done is "the jollies" where you see something like this you and hubby go happy crazy silly noisy yourselves. (So you are in public - so what?)
So there are some options.

As to "why" there could be any number of reasons but I'd bet that it wasn't the employee's idea. He was sent out there by someone to do that. Maybe they had an event coming that evening or Sunday or Monday and needed to clean up? Maybe someone had rented the park for a wedding that evening? Maybe they needed to get the leaves off the path before they caused an accident? There are lots of possibilities but it doesn't really matter except I am sure not one of them was "This will freak this lady's dog!"

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your opinion. Unfortunately, there wasnt anywhere else I could have gone. And yes, I was annoyed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts