German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been feeding my puppy farmina which she hated and have been transitioning her to Purina pro plan. She kind of likes it but not crazy for it. I have been adding toppers to get her to eat like an egg, wet food, and goats milk rotating. Rarely she’ll eat it plain. She is a 3.5 month old shepherd mix and weighs 26lbs. What does your picky large breed eat? I have been thinking about raw diet specifically primal but not sure. I’ve been told that raw isn’t good for a puppy. Any opinions or suggestions would be great.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,476 Posts
Raw is fine for a puppy, as long as it’s complete & balanced, which Primal is.... and the reason why commercial raw is generally recommended. the downside however is the amount required for a growing puppy is going to cost you several hundred dollars a month. if cost is a hindrance or you are not very experienced in feeding raw.... then i’d look at a quality kibble and research how to feed raw later.

fromm, victor, nature’s logic, firstmate....are all worth looking into.

Reactions: Jorski

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I'm a relative newbie to GSDs, but I've been raw feeding my dogs for about 12 years. There are ton of excellent choices nowadays. Used to be I spent Sunday afternoons throwing meat , offal & some veggies nto a grinder for the pups' weekly rations.

I've not known any pups to have any problems with appropriately prepared raw food. For some, like me, that means grinding, bones and all. For many that means no prep- toss the pup a raw, meaty bone and let her go to town. I was always worried about breaking teeth, hence the grinding.

Nowadays, I feed a (locally owned and produced) commercial raw food, for convenience and pretty good pricing IMO.

You can find all the various benfits on the interwebz, I won't rehash them here.

I WILL say that their poops are so. much. SMALLER.

Sorry for the monologue... so, um... feed raw. 😁

edit: you have a very cute pup!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Right now she’s doing well on transitioning to Purina but still won’t eat it. Her farts and poos smell terrible tho even though they are solid.

·
Registered
Jazmine Auf Der Marquis
693 Posts
Primal also makes a topper. I’m feeding my pup Victor Pro kibble with a third cup of Primal topper mixed in. Makes it more affordable than straight raw. I let it thaw then mix well so the smell is on all the kibble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts