German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is 17 weeks old. The past 3 weeks I’ve noticed his back Hocks turning in when he walks. His hind legs are huge, 12 inches long and have always been very big in compassion to his body. His paws are huge. Now there’s a curve in his lower spine, not sure how concerned I should be. My vet is “waiting on a second opinion”, she was not sure what to tell me. Should I start him on a supplement? Limit his walking? I was feeding Nutrience sub zero for a couple weeks as it did say suitable for large breed as per AAFCO l but just switched to RC puppy German Shepard.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
What does he look like walking/standing on grass or other natural surfaces vs the slick tile?
Is your whole house slippery, OP? It's a really good point about the slippery surface. It would be especially bad for this pup who obviously has more challenges than the average pup. Might even be worth some traction socks for him so he might be able to move more naturally which might help him develop a little better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is your whole house slippery, OP? It's a really good point about the slippery surface. It would be especially bad for this pup who obviously has more challenges than the average pup. Might even be worth some traction socks for him so he might be able to move more naturally which might help him develop a little better.
Yes it is, I never thought of that. Ok I'll grab some of those ASAP and maybe get a runner for the hard surfaces in the house.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes it is, except one carpet. I will go buy some socks and maybe a runner for the floor, thank you.

·
Registered
31,387 Posts
Looks like extreme angulation and cow hocked to me. Do you have the actual pedigree for him?

I just had this conversation with a breeder about a puppy that came from them. Growing VERY fast, large for his age, extreme angulation and cow hocked. Was told that the ones with extreme angulation are often cow hocked and that it's also a product of insufficient exercise.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Ahh, but exercise should be on a natural surface, not thos slick tiled floors. If it were me, I'd wait on the Vet's recommendation. No supplements, no HUGE changes in exercise (except for making the majority of it on natural surfaces!). Puppies are often awkward looking...give it time, hear back from the Vet, before making any HUGE changes in your puppy's day.

That being said, he's definitely got structural issues that you'll have to deal with...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Most of it is. I went out and bought socks this evening and I will buy a runner for the floor tomorrow. I never thought of that but it makes sense

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
Looks like extreme angulation and cow hocked to me. Do you have the actual pedigree for him?

I just had this conversation with a breeder about a puppy that came from them. Growing VERY fast, large for his age, extreme angulation and cow hocked. Was told that the ones with extreme angulation are often cow hocked and that it's also a product of insufficient exercise.
In both horses and dogs being cow hocked is most often genetic. I have never heard it linked to lack of exercise. Depending on the severity of it on it's own it seldom seems to cause issues. I was concerned about Shadow with her other issues, and was assured it was fine.
Most grade quarter horses are cow hocked and they dominate the working ranch horse set.

That said the OP's pup clearly has structural issues, to some extent he may grow into himself but this is a puppy I would be very diligent with. Correct nutrition, proper weight, careful exercise and heck yes get him off those slick surfaces.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts