German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rescued my puppy titan, 3 weeks ago, and he's a white shepherd (or so I assume). Like many rescued dogs, he didn't come with any paper work. I'm here looking for advice on what registration options I have for him. I know there is the PAL in the AKC, but I was wondering if other options would be more advisable, or possible, like registering him in the UKC. The reason I want him registered is that I may possibly start working with him in agility or competition obedience, and most of those competitions in my area seem to run by the kennel clubs. Any advice is welcome, unless it includes overly elaborate puns.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
With a PAL, you can do obedience, agility, any performance event save conformation. In our area, the kennel clubs apply to the AKC to have a show. So the shows are AKC shows run by the various kennel clubs or training clubs.

I know nothing about UKC.

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
You can register him with AKC as PAL. There is DOCNA, ASCA for agility. ASCA for rally. UKC for events.

Definitely go with PAL for AKC rather than the mixed breed registry if you can. PAL allows out to do tracking and herding as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses, I think most of the stuff in my area is AKC based, so I think I'll go with that option. I just need to get his ears to stand up long enough to take the pictures for the form, so he looks less like a pound puppy...

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
thanks for the responses, I think most of the stuff in my area is AKC based, so I think I'll go with that option. I just need to get his ears to stand up long enough to take the pictures for the form, so he looks less like a pound puppy...
He also need to be neutered. Get a full front shot and a full side shot of him with a contrasting background.

here are the ones I sent in for Jax.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
Much better PAL than mixed breed registry. While performance events are opening to mixes, that is still up to individual clubs and only at shows where conformation is not being held, so stand alone obedience/rally or agility events.

With the PAL you can compete in any AKC performance events except conformation.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Doerak was PAL/ILP with the AKC as a German Shepherd. I cring when I look at those photos I sent in. He really doesn't make a good GSD in photographs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nice pics, i'm gonna have to use some of those nasal strips to keep his ears up for the pics, or else he just looks like a realy pale gangly yellow lab. They're still floppy, for now anyway.
BTW sweet truck in the background.

·
Registered
32,009 Posts
Not our truck. :) My son was welding reinforcements on the bed.

If your dog is not neutered yet, you can't send in for a PAL anyways. If the AKC notices the strips on his ears then they might deny it. If he's still a baby, just wait. I don't think there is any hurry to register him as he would need to be trained and ready to go into the ring. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts