German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started looking at the forum around April or May in preparation for a puppy. Things happened and that didn't work out. Still going to get a puppy just not when I thought. There are lots of interesting topics. I personally get a lot from the breeders threads. They have tons of knowledge of the GSD and the problems the breed faces. Also as some have gathered my pet peeve is aggressive dogs. That also starts with what is being bred. If dogs come with bad nerves it will be a much rougher time with everything else.
I also like fun threads where no one gets too serious.
There are individuals who regularly have what I think is sound advice. Won't name names because there are many and I would leave someone out. The moderators usually have good advice as most of them are involved with dogs in varying capacities.
I like that some folks can come up with a link or video within minutes of a topic appearing.
So for me the forum serves as a learning place and a place to share my measly experiences. Sometimes it's fun and sometime it can get annoying but either way I learn. Actually I think you learn as much about people as GSD's.
What is it for you?

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's a place where crazy dog people can talk about their dogs with other people that understand what it means to be a crazy dog person. I know I can talk forever about dogs but can't always find anyone to listen so I look extra crazy hahah. You learn a thing or to a long the way.

Some times a forum is more a support group. I love hearing what other dog people think on differNt topics.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I have a lot of down time at work so it keeps me from getting to bored. I also love anything that has to do with dogs so I get to talk about my passion without driving everyone insane!

·
Registered
123 Posts
This is probably the best forum I ever been on. Tons of diversity in opinions, tons of experience, lots of differing approaches to individual issues, lots of balance in topics. Any question (almost) always has answers. Arguments are usually only semi-childlike.:)

Bottom line is everyone shares the love for our dogs. Compassion and advice for those having problems as well as support for those with successes. Like a big family, but much less dysfunctional than most.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Although it was not my original intent, I have found two dogs on this site.

I also have sought advice directly and have read many a thread looking for information. I also get amused sometimes reading what others post. Overall, I find it interesting reading. I also enjoy sharing thoughts with folks who have something in common, our love of GSD's.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
This is probably the best forum I ever been on. Tons of diversity in opinions, tons of experience, lots of differing approaches to individual issues, lots of balance in topics. Any question (almost) always has answers. Arguments are usually only semi-childlike.:)

Bottom line is everyone shares the love for our dogs. Compassion and advice for those having problems as well as support for those with successes. Like a big family, but much less dysfunctional than most.
This ^^

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Like they say on those late-night commercials for 1-900 numbers:

"For entertainment purposes only."
Me too!
Although, I would have to say it is an outlet for the "crazy dog person" syndrome that I suffer from.
Also, I may add that there are very experienced people who pop in from their busy schedules IRL to give advice to the inexperienced folks. Most of the time, very few rocks or lit matches are thrown.

Whoever posted that video: "So you think you want a high drive puppy?"
I'm still chuckling over that one.
Informative and humourous.
Or the seven year old girl doing the ScH with a dog that probably out weighed her by thirty pounds was awesome. Neat stuff here, and puppy pictures!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like this forum cause I get loads of advice, loads of opinions about my first ever GSD. I have learnt a lot of specifics about the breed, the upbringing and how to train to the dog specific for certain "orders".

Entertainmentwise, I love to see those pictures and videos of all the other GSDs...

Besides it is the first forum I dont get s****ed on if I did something wrong, just good ment advice how to do it next time ....

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's been an amazing place and next week when I have leave of work for 2 whole weeks (Finally!!), I'll be scaveging through some old topics to learn some more about my gentle giant (gee, I love how that sounds :rolleyes:).

P.S. you can call me Tracy, guess I wasn't inspired that much when I first joined the forum :blush:

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the week that I have been on this forum I have learned so much, thanks germanshepherds.com! I have spent hours reading up on so many topics I had questions on, seen beautiful photos of GSD's, laughed at others experiencing the same things I am with my new pup and cried with some of you guys here that have also lost your best friends.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wow Annie, just saw your piccies of the dog... the pup is adorable !!!!!! Wish I could turn back time sometimes :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
i don't remember specifically why i joined in 2005, but it must have been gsd related lol
stopped coming for a while but i am back now looking for help choosing a breeder and a puppy. I love it here even though sometimes things get a bit heated, its very interesting!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I joined to learn about all things GSD. That purpose has
been well served and I am grateful for all the knowledge that was shared.
I joined when my dog was 1 so I missed the benefit of learning about GSDs as pups (AKA landsharks).
I was saddened many times by the losses of furry family members, but
cheered when many moved on by getting another puppy.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
what do i get from this forum? Well lemme see. In the just over a year that i've been here, I have learned an immense amout. I have become a better owner because of what i've learned from the more experienced members here. I've made some great friends who have similar interests as well. I'm always learning and as a result, I have a high interest in becoming a certified obedience trainer and after the news i received yesterday, i'll be able to follow that desire.

This forum has a wealth of information for even the most knowledgable owners and the support system is amazing. Nobody here is going to flat out tell people exactly what they want to hear. They're going to be honest, sometimes brutally so. Sometimes we need someone to help reality crash into us before we see the bigger picture.

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I first found this website (can't remember how long ago), Oh My Goodness, it was like winning a big honking lottery! I began sifting the archives, and was so delighted with the wealth of info.....even got GM hooked. He signed up for an account and we've been reading ever since.

Both of us love mostly the "SAR" and "Tracking" and "Agility" and "Guide, Therapy & Service Dogs" forums. But the other forums are really just as wonderful. There are some VERY knowledgeable and VERY experienced individuals, whom, if GM and I ever could, we'd like to shake their hand while saying, "Nice to meet you!".

Neither of us have much time to post, GM less free time than me. He is in Search and Rescue human-side, and when he retires, he very much dreams of getting into SAR dog-side absolutely full time! He loves it that much, and I support his endeavors. Luckily we are both sooooo dog crazy.....lol.

We have four dogs (and one cat), and are very into working with them, but since it's fun......it's not really work. The only dang-it problem we have is that we haven't actually won the real lottery, but beside that the other problems we have are just working out themselves really well, with help from reading this forum, and other resources, and thru training with a couple of truly fine dog people......one of whom we want one of his dogs in about eight more years!

The other problem we have is .....not one of our girls will poop rainbows! Dang it!!!! :wild:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts