German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 and half week old gsd who is awesome. No troublesome behaviors yet. I would like her to continue with good behavior by providing some safe and fun chew toys. That being said I keep seeing conflicting things to get her... Mini rawhides, bully sticks, those rubber nyla bones, etc... What are some recommendations for 8 to 12 weeks, and then what for later stages like teething months?

Thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
I like bully sticks, trachea, cow ears, ect.. Bully sticks will last a while with a puppy, once adult teeth come it they will get through one pretty quick. I also like horns. A lot depends one your dog's preferences, some will chew whatever and others are more selective.

I don't feed rawhides because of the chemicals used to prepare them, and they are also not very digestible.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks. Should I worry about them being to hard on the young puppy teeth?
Should not be an issue, all those things are fairly soft. I know some people recommend marrow bones, but I personally do not feed or use weight bearing bones are chews. Some dogs do fine with them, but some will fracture teeth or wear them down prematurely.

I am the most careful with young dogs with newly emerged adult teeth. The teeth of a young dog are softer and more easily damaged than those of an adult dog.

I like Best Bully Sticks, they have a variety of natural dog chews Best Bully Sticks: All-Natural Dog Treats, Chews & Bully Sticks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't had much luck with Nyla bones or horns.
No to rawhide and pigs ears get devoured in seconds.

I like Bully sticks best and feed a raw bone a few times per year.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I have an 8 and half week old gsd who is awesome. No troublesome behaviors yet. I would like her to continue with good behavior by providing some safe and fun chew toys. That being said I keep seeing conflicting things to get her... Mini rawhides, bully sticks, those rubber nyla bones, etc... What are some recommendations for 8 to 12 weeks, and then what for later stages like teething months?

Thanks
Raw carrots make great puppy chews. They stain carpets though. Soak an old dish towel in water, tie in knots and freeze for supervised chewing to relieve teething pain.
I don't risk puppy teeth on bones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts