German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for advice on cleaning my carpet. Our older girl got a little stomach bug and had an accident on the light colored carpet. She was clearly embarassed and tried to hide it and went down into the basement when we were away at work.

As we were at work and away for the day, and don't go into the basement all that often ... it got missed for two days and has really had time to set in. It's completely dried out now ... the problem is, what do I do to save the carpet ... or, can it be saved all?

Please let me know of a miracle product you've tried, or even some concotion you make up yourself that has good results.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I agree a steam cleaner is probably needed, scrub it the best you can before then use the steam cleaner :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The carpet cleaner isn't really an option at this point unless its the only option we have left.

My wife is terrifed of bed bugs ... and she watched some documentary that said that rental carpet cleaners are one of the leading causes of spreading them home to home ... so it'll be a tough sell lol

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
You can purchase them fairly inexpensively, Bissel makes a small wet vac, the "little green" which sells for around $100 and it's small and portable. Very handy for cleaning any type of stain on floor or furniture, depending on the value of the carpet it might save you a lot of money

Otherwise I'd buy 2-3 types of stain removers and soak the **** out of it several times. I think Oxiclean makes a specific one that supposed to be really good at stains

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awesome thanks guys ... I'll give everything a try and see what happens. a portable cleaner may be worth purchasing. The new house has a fair bit of carpet. even if its not to clean accidents ... our girls tend to get pretty dirty and track it into the house lol

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Nature's Miracle. Don't put anything else on it first, or the enzymes might not work properly. Pour it on liberally until it's soaked. Let it sit for 24 hours, and then steam it out.

I have used the portable Little Green and it wasn't much use to me. I went ahead and purchased an upright for about $120 at WalMart. Now when my senior dog has accidents, I don't stress at all.

With the upright, I use Nature's Miracle instead of the soap solution. Works wonders!!

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
If you cannot get a carpet cleaner, then ammonia.
Ammonia is not good for cleaning when you have a dog, because the smell will attract them to pee.
I know of nothing that will fix dried-in diarrhea. If it were me, I would just get rid of the carpet.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I have a spot bot. It was very handy while potty training Riley. That machine got a work out. For small accidents I can usually just pick it up and I use alcohol to get the stain out.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I finally got a Hoover Steam Vac when we moved to a house with white carpet and no grass. BEST, B E S T money I have spent on a household product. I am with the OP's wife with the bed bug risk. Owning my OWN carpet cleaner makes cleaning up dog stains and other stains so much less stressful. The carpet cleaner takes the same amount of storage space as an upright vacuum. I store it in my laundry room with my Shark floor steamer. :) If you have animals, some sort of carpet cleaning machine is a good investment.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Did you try the Natures Miracle? I swear by it. Some days my sanity depends on it, lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts