German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so Mr Jaxon has come a LONNNGGGG way.

We got him as a little guy. He is now a massive 9 months old. About 75lbs or so. He is not neutered.

He is still crated, in a massive crate. (Kong XL - biggest they have). No more puppy parties left alone.

He stays crated while we are work, and we try to let him out as much as possible.

OUT OF THE CRATE

- In the mornings to do his business. Maybe a little ball time before work
- At lunch when one of us is home for an hour.
- After we get home. We try to go for a walk each night when possible.
- He stays out for the rest of the night.
- Weekends, the fenced in backyard is his playground. Free reign to run and play.

Mr. Jaxon seems to be in a phase where all he wants to do is play ball and tug with his dad. No matter what you're doing, you look down and he's got a tug toy, or a stretch ball. He's always got that "I'm deprived of fun, play with me." look about him. The only time peace is had is when he gets a fresh bully stick or trachea or something on his pillow.

NILIF

We still practice NILIF religiously. He gets nothing, not even a ball toss without working for it.

BITING/MOUTHY

He's a little more mouthy than he used to be. We of course taught him bite inhibition, which worked well. No one has been punctured or torn. Always gentle.

JUMPING

He jumps on EVERYBODY. Nothing helps. We've tried everything we can find. Maybe we aren't trying hard enough. We keep him crated and tell everyone to ignore him when guests arrive. We let him out when calm, and it works sometimes. Other times, he's way too excited to control, so it's back in crate.

OBEDIENCE

He's been through general puppy obedience, and WHEN HE WANTS TO, he is a dream dog. High value treats in your hand and his recall is just amazing. It's like he was born with the standard SIT, DOWN, DOWN STAY, PILLOW DOWN STAY, CRATE UP, etc. But without them forget it. You don't exist.

COUNTER SURFING

He's become quite the counter surfer as well. Some folks call it belly up to the bar. Staying off the couch has become more challenging. Seems like all we say is "NO!" "Leave It!" "Get down!". Then he's off to the garden to dig up mamas flowers and find tree roots. OH, and if you are a lizard and you live in our backyard, your days are numbered. It's like doggie sushi. I actually had to talk to the vet about the kind of lizard he favors. Luckily that kind is mostly protein and no poison says the vet.

WALKING ON LEASH

Walking on leash, he is great with the Gentle Leader, with high value treats. He's an angel. As soon as you try to go on a walk with a regular lead, it's not fun. Walks without the Gentle Leader and no treats is more like an arm workout, and he spends most of the time choking himself to death with his head being pulled from the Gentle Leader. The dog is a mule. He does not care. He will pull like he's got a wagon strapped to him.

THE PROTECTOR

He is quite the protector of mama too. When we're home, he's constantly engaging me, regardless of what I'm doing. People coming and going on the street are no big deal. Car doors shutting, no problem. People talking outside, no problem. As soon as I retire for the evening and he posts up with mama watching tv or reading a book he's all business. He woofs it up and charges the door to sit between mama and the threat he perceives is outside. So, that part I am ok with. She tells him "Thank you, good boy", and he goes to lay down.

KITTIES

No progress here. Jaxon sometimes gets through the gate and follows dad upstairs. Kitties do not like. Jaxon loves the kitties and does not bark at them. He just wants to be friends. Kitties have NO interest at all in being friends with the now 75 lb intruder into their home. LOL.

So yeah, that's where we are. Fun Fun Fun. We are having a blast.

Most of this stuff is probably pretty typical of a 9 month old? I think we are going to get into round 2 of advanced obedience now.

Anyone have insight on the best ages to start different types of training, or any comments of what I've written above?

Thanks for reading.

E

·
Registered
595 Posts
I read threads like this just to get a sense of where we might be heading with ours :)

I am sure someone with experience will come along to reply soon. But it struck me (and excuse my naivete) that the only thing missing might be exercise in the morning? And that he may not be getting enough exercise even with the walk and the ball work? A good 20 minute run in the morning might be good for him? Since you have a pool, does he swim?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
are you leaving your dog in the yard for a matter of your convenience?
you train and socialize when you get around to it. i think your
dog needs to be close to you and your wife so both of you can train and
socialize. having a dog isn't a matter of when you can get to. having a
dog is a constant.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
The Gentle Leader does not translate to other collars. I see it as a management tool rather than a training tool in that regard. "Loose leash walking" is a skill just like any other skill, and it needs to be taught explicitly. The hardest part of training for that with my own dogs was my own lack of consistency. Some days forging ahead was overlooked and other days it was corrected. Once I trained myself to be consistent and to practice often, my dogs magically got better!

One of the things that has helped me with not jumping on people is to realize that I need to fill that void I am creating by not letting them jump with something else that I do let them do. Whether it is a sit and shake or some other behavior that is acceptable, I need to show the dog what I want them to do. It isn't enough to just tell them what I don't want them to do, I need to also give them the alternate behavior I do want and actively train it.

My own GSD is not the most food motivated dog, so I had to get creative in finding rewards that were valued enough to work for him. Sometimes I used food, sometimes I used toys (tug and fetch) and sometimes I used praise. In the beginning, I was always loaded for bear and had treats and toys on hand. He never knew what he would get. After all, it could be any of them. Or all of them. This made weaning off food and toys easier, I think. Of course, I still mix it up sometimes and reward with food and/or toys. It keeps him guessing, and his responses are never stale. Even when I don't have a food reward or a toy.

I love adolescent dogs! I am totally digging life with my almost 7 year old "puppy", but I sure do love the adolescents.
Sheilah

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
dog is a constant.
NO, he's with us all the time. I should have named him Velcro. We don't mind. We like it. All day, while we lay by the pool I play with him and train him. I agree with the first poster though. He might need a walk before work as well. I agree with you on the training and socializing thing. We have doggie play dates when possible too.

Hope that helps a little more.

Also, we have a pool. He isn't really into it yet. How do you get him in the pool. I think he's traumatized. He fell in once trying to get a ball. Might have some work to do there.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's starting to get the loose leash thing. I train "heel" and it works, he looks at me and slows down to stay beside me. Treats help as well. He'll do anything for a tasty treat. LOL

·
Registered
308 Posts
How but an updated pic? Your Jaxon's just a little older than my Jedda, so I like to read what you guys are up to!

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here you go! The little bugger weighs like 85lbs.

LOL

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
EDIT:

Fixed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Velcro or Duck tape would also work pretty good in our house. Theres never a dull moment even when they reach adolescence. At almost 2 Indi is full of suprises and constantly doing something funny like tripping over her own big feet. She is small though, she is just at 60 Lbs at 2 years. I think she was the runt of her litter and she is a female too. She is very feminine and quite girly so it fits..

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

It's funny. Your post describes my dog almost to a "T". With exceptions to a few small things, I had to sit back and kinda chuckle. Cruz is the first GSD I've owned that has this high of a prey drive. It's also been a learning experience for me as well as Cruz. Everyday brings something new. Sometimes I just want to pull my hair out, other times I luv him to death.

One thing I've almost broke him of is counter surfing. I tried a little trick my obedience instructor told me. Thats tie a couple pans together with a length of string. Have a piece of food tied to the other end. Theory is, when the dog grabs the food he will pull the pots off onto the floor close by scaring him. Problem for me was, Cruz doesn't scare. He didn't even notice the pots! Loud noises doesn't effect him at all. So I just took the time and baited him with peanutbutter, his favorite, and rewarded him when he laid down and crated him when he got on the counter. Over and over and over. He has done pretty well. He has messed up a few times but not many.

Jumping on people is the same process. A matter of rewarding at the right time punishing in the right way. In both cases, a short time in the crate is the punishment.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL yah, Jaxon has become a PRO counter surfer. World champion. No matter what we do he's got his method to snag some chicken and run. He is getting better as we correct him and crate him for being bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your post is exactly the stage my Charlie is at! He is 8 months, unaltered, 38kgs (83lb) he's got the perfect GSD physique according to our vet, 62cm at the shoulders- he's a big boy!! He is driving me bonkers at the moment!! Counter surfing has just begun! I might try that pot thing tonight!!

This is him:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
dog is a constant.
Imo this idea that the dog always must be next to you is what creates the seperation anxiety you see so much these days. Right from the get go the pup is crated. The pup comes out of the crate to walk, train, be exposed to various stimuli then back in. Ignore all the usual screaming barking etc for the first few weeks. My dogs acclimate to my life not the other way around. We go on lots of outings, we take the dogs everywhere we can but they are able to be on their own for a long period of time with no issues. Sometimes we sleep in, sometimes we have a lazy day, and no one throws causes any trouble. I dont get people that are always rushing home cause the dogs cant be alone for more then a few hours.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sounds like a few of us are at that stage, I am too with some similar situations. My Loki is 8 months old and 30kgs (about 66 lbs I think). He does the jumping as well but its more when he's excited and when I get home from work. I ignore him and continue with what I'm doing, putting my bag away, taking shoes off etc. Once he is calm, I will give him attention and he's beginning to catch on as it doesn't take him as long to calm down now.
He is outside during the day while Im at work and loves it out there. Once Im home and changed we go out to the bay which is only 2 minutes away for abit of training, (continuing with recall all the time) and then a big play.
He sleeps much better at night when I upped his exercise.

And this is him:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ditto behaviour of my 7.5 month old unaltered boy Caesar.. The only issue I have is that he cannot resist and lunges and barks at any dog in the street big or small and I think it's just excitement even though he goes once a week for a full day to doggie socialization school where at least 30 dogs play and socialize together off leash in a large play area but he still comes home and wants to be the king of the neighbourhood… I don’t know why or what more I can do?

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice looking doggies!

Jaxon does the same thing on leash during walks. Just watch their body language. If they're just pulling towards the other dogs and wagging the tail like crazy and whining to get to them, then they're wanting to play. If the hackles go up, the barking and mouth foaming starts from too much barking they want to be king of the neighborhood.

That's my opinion anyhow. 3.35 and that will get you a latte at Starbucks.

HAHA

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Imo this idea that the dog always must be next to you is what creates the seperation anxiety you see so much these days.
No, it doesn't. My dog is crate trained but he was not confined to his crate since his 3 months old. No separation anxiety noted so far, and he's over 5 yo.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Our dog LOVES his crate. He feels safe there. We leave it open when he's out and sometimes he will just go lay in there. I can tell him "crate up" or "go to bed" and he will go inside the crate and just sit there waiting for me to come close the door. Our dog is kind of a velcro dog, but he was an only puppy, so he only knows us besides his mother. He has adopted my GF as his real mother now. He comes to her and cuddles with her, and comes to me to play tug, and to throw the ball, etc.

We are lucky enough to have a pretty nice sized back yard for California standards and we let him roam when he's out of the crate. In the house too. He comes when we say, unless he wants to play. He's a pup though, thats what they do.

We don't go overboard on the "Treat him like a dog" thing. He knows he's a dog.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts