German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Zenzy and Indra could be shipped to Syracuse but they told me that it will be much more expensive to ship each of them on their own and it would be a lot cheaper to ship them to NEWARK all together.

Because Yukon is a male GSD he automatically gets the bigger crate and he can't be shipped to Syracuse. I am wondering if I shouldn't simply take him with me once we fly out to the US and have Zenzy and Indra shipped there later on but than I'd probably need a boarding home or somebody that is willed to foster him for a couple of days until we found a place since he is not allowed in the hotel.

Since the hotels it booked for the 16th of November I hope that we'll find something by December/January. That means it's probably right in the middle of the Snow-Season.

If I don't take Yukon with me right away and they are flown into NEWARK is there any way I can pay a transportation company to deliever them (since I have no experience with the US and I don't even know what I have to do to get the NY drivers license yet, if I can just have it signed over or have to take a test which would suck because I am driving for over ten years).

I am just worried that it gets too expensive. 1800 Euros is a lot of money, that is over 2000 Dollars...

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
There are pet transport companies. A neighbor of mine had his Great Pyranees transported by vehicle from Cincinnati, OH, to Sacramento, CA. The dog was huge and couldn't find a flight for him. It cost over $1,000, for that, but I don't remember the exact price.

There are a lot of companies and I don't have any recommendations, maybe somebody in your (future) area who shows dogs would know.

Google

·
Registered
751 Posts
Re getting a driver's license:

The requirements for drivers licenses in the US differ from state to state. You google 'Registry of Motor Vehicles' (RMV) for your future state. However, usually these web pages address only applicants who held a drivers' license from another US state, not from another country. The nearest German consulate in the state that you are applying for a license in may be able to give you advice based on their own and other Germans' experience. I've found them very helpful.

Examples: In two US states that I came to with a German drivers license (car and motorcycle) at different times in my life, I had to take the written exam only and not the driving exam for the car license. For the motorcycle license, it was both driving and written exam in these states. Go figure. In a third US state, both my German car and my motorcycle license were transcribed without exam, but only one RMV could do it. In a Canadian province, I had to do both the written and the driving exam for the car license (the driving exam was trivial, just around the block), and I got a car from a car rental agency next door for the purpose.

You can rent a car with a German drivers license and a credit card. Once you buy a car, you'll need a license issued by a US state. And you'll be rated for insurance:

In some states, car insurances will honor a good driving record from another country. In that case, you will need to get your record (in English) from the Flensburg Registry of Motor Incidents for that purpose. It's a routine procedure for Flensburg to issue these. In other states (NJ), even people who come from another US state are rated as 'inexperienced drivers' and have to pay the highest insurance rate.

You just deal with it, fulfill the requirements, and 'in Rome do as the Romans'. Don't compare, just deal with it. Germany has its requirements, too, for people who come from abroad and apply for a German drivers' license.

I think you'd need to explain your travel plans for folks to be able to give you advice.

Viel Glueck!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Oh, I forgot. I think you need to have a Social Security Number (SSN) before you can apply for a drivers' license. Check for that. The SSN is effectively a personal identification number (we don't have that in Germany b/c we are more suspicious of surveillance for historical reasons) that you need to get for all kinds of things, most not related to social security at all such as a drivers license, opening a bank account, enrolling in college, etc.. You need to have either legal employment, student status, or a spouse who is a US citizen to be eligible for an SSN, which makes much sense. I don't know how long it takes currently to get one.

The drivers' license is effectively a personal ID card (Personalausweis) that you need to identify yourself in all kinds of situations, few of them related to driving a car.

Be prepared for leash laws almost everywhere, it's very difficult to find a space where you can let even the most well trained and well behaved dogs run. Except in some muddy, pathetic little urban 'dog runs'.

·
Registered
285 Posts
You can get your International Driver Licence in Germany and use it legaly in USA for 90 days. In that time you can get your SS# and get ready for NY state driver licence.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
So Zenzy and Indra could be shipped to Syracuse but they told me that it will be much more expensive to ship each of them on their own and it would be a lot cheaper to ship them to NEWARK all together.
Because Yukon is a male GSD he automatically gets the bigger crate and he can't be shipped to Syracuse.
I'm lost. Is the original plan that Zenzy and Indra would be shipped in the same crate?
Also confused about Yukon...why can't the bigger crate be flown to Syracuse, is it because of the airlines that fly in to that airport?

Where are you flying out of?

·
Registered
751 Posts
You can get your International Driver Licence in Germany and use it legaly in USA for 90 days. In that time you can get your SS# and get ready for NY state driver licence.
Have you used an International Driver License in the US? When I brought one (ages ago, maybe that's why), no one knew in the US knew what it was, I couldn't even rent a car with it. But my German license was accepted for driving friends' cars and for rentals. Can't insure own car without a US driver license though.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right now I can't travel to the US because of the Greencard (SSN) process. Means I am in Quarantine.

It's two packages for the Greencard and right now we are still waiting for the first package to be approved. Hopefully it'll be approved soon so we can turn the second package in and get the appointment for the medical examination and the interviews. Than we have to pay 400 Dollars and get the VISA in my traveler passport and they will send the Greencard itself via Mail to the US.

As soon as I have the VISA, I have to activate the Greencard and go to the US.

But as long as I am in the process I have to stay in Germany and if the 1st package doesn't get approved in time I have to stay behind until I am completely through with everything.

Maybe hubby has to go without me... :help:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh good luck Mrs K! Hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
I am not 100% certain how the process works with someone coming in from Germany, but if I am not mistaken, you will receive your visa and you should also receive an employment authorization card. The latter will allow you to go to any Social Security Office once you are in the United States and apply for a Social Security Number. (I would recommend the office in Ogdensburg - it almost never has a line.)

Once you have your Social Security Card, you will be able to apply for a NY State Driver's License, which will also be your primary ID card while you live in the States. (Well, until you move to a different state, at any rate.)

You can have both the employment authorization card and a driver's license before you receive your actual green card. Since you will have to go for an interview, which is the last step before your green card packet is approved, those help you bridge the time in between coming to the States and becoming a green card holder ("legal permanent resident"). If your green card is approved at the interview, they will take your employment authorization card and mail your green card to your address.

As to what you have to do to get a license, I am not 100% but I believe you will need to take the written test (it's just one sheet, not very difficult), eye exam, and the classroom instruction course that NY requires. I don't know whether you will also need to take a driving test, but I believe you may. Out of the requirements, the classroom course is the most annoying because, firstly, it costs money. Secondly, they only have them once every other month on base, and then only if there are more than 15 people to take it.

Anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts