German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
For everyone who stocks their pet kits with the various household remedies, i.e. hydrogen peroxide and human meds, i.e. Benadryl, please be sure to keep the proper dosage for your pet(s) handy- moreso if you have pets with a significant weight difference between them. :)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
We probably have most of the things mentioned and more. I keep a well stocked supply of first aid stuffs in the house for pets and humans. In our vehicles we have orange first aid bags similar to what EMT's use that are packed full including a sterile suture kit. DH has a kit specific to visits to the outdoor gun range with a quick clot kit for gunshot wounds or other such large bleeding injury and tourniquets etc. DH is also on a CERT (citizens emergency response team) and has a fully stocked go bag for that as well. We probably have way more than any one household needs but have it all none the less.

One thing everyone should remember is many items such as ointments, alcohol, peroxide etc have expiration dates and ALL supplies should be check at least twice a year for dates. Especially if kits are stored in vehicles in hot climates or have been opened for use. I have thrown out many unopened items simply because they were out of date.

And never underestimate the value of a tampon or feminine maxi pad combined with an ace bandage for larger bleeding wounds.

We also have a pet first aid app on our phones for quick reference in emergencies (American Red Cross pet first aid). Covers everything form A to Z.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Taking a local pet CPR was on my list of things to do when the pandemic hit. Does anyone know if there's a good one online?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
For everyone who stocks their pet kits with the various household remedies, i.e. hydrogen peroxide and human meds, i.e. Benadryl, please be sure to keep the proper dosage for your pet(s) handy- moreso if you have pets with a significant weight difference between them. :)
Benadryl is easy. One mg / lb. But good advice Chuck!

Reactions: chuckd
21 - 26 of 26 Posts