chlorhexidine
kwik stop
hot spot spray
nextgard
canned pumpkin

·
Registered
276 Posts
We keep antiseptic & antifungal spray, along with hot spot and antifungal shampoos on hand. We have a tough time with wasps and hornets and two of our dogs got hit by the hornets this summer. This stuff works wonders. Also use Bactine or other lidocaine if they come up with nondescript rashes they can't leave alone.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Benadryl
Benadryl
Benadryl
Styptic powder
Nolva San Otic (ears)
Previous Prescription meds. I find my dogs need three days of a ten day dosage. So, I seal and air tight all prescription meds and save in case similar situations arise. Rimadyl, for example.
Neospirin.
Ok. And a little more Benadryl.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Vetericyn Wound Care spray
Providone iodine (dilutable)
Vetwrap, gauze, Telfa nonstick pads
Triple antibiotic ointment
Zymox ear cleaner
Zymox otic treatment
Benadryl
Simethicone (Gax-X/Phayzyme etc.)
Slippery Elm
Bovine Colostrum (6-hour, Immune Tree)
Chlorhexadene 4% veterinary shampoo
Somewhere I think I've still got cans of Penaten cream and Musher's Secret too

RX:
Carprofen (RX) -- I learned the hard way to keep this on hand in the right dose after one of my dogs broke a toe far from home in the mountains and it took me a while to find a vet that would see him. We now try to keep a few pills in the right dose for each dog, for an emergency, if they're injured and awaiting treatment.

Metrodinazole (RX) -- we keep this around for the one that has the bad tummy and gets stress colitis.

Gen-One (RX) - hotspot spray

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Benadryl
Styptic powder/Kwik stop
Pepto bismol tablets
hydrogen peroxide
Bactine spray
Neosporin
3-in-1 ointment
gauze pads & roll
syringes for oral meds
coban/self adhesive bandage roll
tweezers (2)
soft muzzle
extra collar
nylon slip lead

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Vetricyn spray
Benadryl
Zymox ottic
Blue coat
Panetin cream
Super glue

A nurse friend told about this last one! For emergency stitches, turns out it was actually initially created for this purpose!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
As well as what's been mentioned, 2 versions of 'the cone of shame', plastic and inflatable, saline solution, epsom salts, a tablet/pill cutter, magnifying glass with built in light. In my car, a veterinary first aid kit in the car (which is 4 x the size of the human one), bottled water and water bowl, spare leads and plastic bags, and a towel or two.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
These are great lists. I keep Benadryl, Zymox Otic 1%, bandages, Chlorhexidine shampoo and spray mousse which is antibacterial, Duoxo pads, flea meds, Dermoscent Essential 6 spot on, Pepcid AC, hydrogen peroxide, neosporin. I also have some leftover anti nausea medicine.

What do you all use for diarrhea? I had pro pectalin but it comes in a huge container and I never replaced it.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Vetericyn is so essential in our house is that DH and I both reach for the blue bottle whenever we have a cut or scrape -- not the human first aid stuff. I used to buy the human-grade one from the same company (Puracyn) but I honestly can't tell a difference.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
Shadows first aid kit has oti-cleanse for her ears, polysporin for cuts, kwik stop, non stick gauze pads, pressure bandages, rolls of gauze, tape, baby socks for foot wraps, vet wrap-the horse stuff because the people stuff sucks, make up remover pads-good for ear cleaning or sponging wounds, a syringe, a muzzle, hotspot spray, blunt scissors and a triangle bandage-make great muzzles for emergencies.

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
What do you all use for diarrhea?
Metro. I don't know if all vets are cool with people keeping some at home just in case, but a 5-day course of it cures a lot of diarrhea. If you take a dog in with mystery diarrhea, it's almost always what they send the dog home with.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Metro. I don't know if all vets are cool with people keeping some at home just in case, but a 5-day course of it cures a lot of diarrhea. If you take a dog in with mystery diarrhea, it's almost always what they send the dog home with.
We can’t just give it without a new prescription. I’m less concerned about parasites, and more with them eating something the acts as a laxative.

·
Registered
32,079 Posts
I think I have the leftovers of my dad's Christian Scientist upbringing: if you have a band aid, you're going to need it. I really don't have anything on hand. Oh, there's a bottle of alcohol somewhere, probably in the whelping supplies. And I never throw out pills so I probably have some prednizone and rimidyl (sp?), I think I have some amoxicillin somewhere, but I gave all my cephalexins to my mom. If I need to bandage something, I probably have a clean T-shirt I can rip up for the short term, and then I'd get some vet wrap ASAP. I have been so fortunate, I haven't needed to patch them up much. Except for Vlad's leg, and that I was having the vet change every day.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
A first aid kit.

This to me is the most important and should be in anyone's house that has a large breed dog. Possible life saver as you drive fast to a E vet for bloat Gas-X/Phazyme Simethicone

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have some amoxicillin and Cephalexin( FishMox and FishFlex available to purchase without prescription on revival web site) for some emergencies when the vet’s appt. is not available right away. Leftovers of Prednisone and Metro. Zymox. GasEx. Aspirin. Joints supplements. Neosporin. Eye ointment.

·
Registered
11,146 Posts
Most of the above. Booties, 8 of them, white rice, canned pumpkin, comb, vet wrap, ear cleaner, peroxide and baking soda for 1 skunk treatment, tick removers, thermometer.
And probably more

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
This to me is the most important and should be in anyone's house that has a large breed dog. Possible life saver as you drive fast to a E vet for bloat Gas-X/Phazyme Simethicone
I agree -- so much so that I bought a large store-brand pack of it at Target and divvied it up to distribute to all our rescue's foster homes, so everybody has some in case of suspected bloat. I was really surprised how few of them did, even for their personal dogs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts