German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the question I'm wrestling with right now as I came home to find my Dexter dead and completely cold. I'm still very much in a state of disbelief.. I saw him this morning and he was perfectly fine. I'm having my vet take a blood sample and look for anything obvious (bloat, broken neck, etc.) Is there anything else that might lead to a proper diagnoses? I know it won't bring him back, but I need to know.

I so miss my braver hund already :( :( :(

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I am so sorry about your Dexter. That is so terrible and I can't imagine what you are going through. I hope the vet is able to give you some answers. Have you thought about having a necropsy done?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
:hugs: I am so sorry for your loss.

There are a number of things that could have been going on and were not noticeable. I'm sure the vet will have answers for you after tests are done and I hope they bring you some peace.

·
2,967 Posts
Some kind of Heart condition would be my guess. That's the only thing I can think of that would be also non-symptomatic and result in sudden death.

Sorry for your loss. That must be heartbreaking to lose one so young.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
My condolences to you. What a shocking thing to have happen. You let us know what you find out. Once again, so sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am so very sorry... what a trumatic thing to go through.. my heart goes out to you..

Did he get into anything?

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
That is awful. The dog could have had a massive siezure, or could have bloated, or could have had an aneurism, sounds a little young for a hematoma. Was he vaccinated recently?

It is so sudden and nine months is so young, poor puppy. I am really sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I lost my most beloved pet this past summer to lung cancer of all things. She never smoked a day in her life.

There are as many causes in canine deaths as people deaths. Could even be a brain anurisim. A complete post mortum might show something, but it might not too. You have my most sincere empathy.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Wow,infinite loop, I am so sorry that you have to go thru this. Rest in Peace Dexter :halogsd:

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I lost my most beloved pet this past summer to lung cancer of all things. She never smoked a day in her life.

There are as many causes in canine deaths as people deaths. Could even be a brain anurisim. A complete post mortum might show something, but it might not too. Just celebrate the nine good years your furry guy had! You have my most sincere empathy.

The OP is talking about a 9 MONTH old puppy, not a 9 year old dog.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I am so sorry. I can't imagine coming home to such a sight. So many possibilities and in the end nothing will bring him back. Aneurysm, bloat, choking, or impaction are all possibilities- I just hope you get the answers your looking for:(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you for the kind words everyone. yes, i am doing a necropsy. i'll post the results in this thread once i receive them. my biggest fear at this point is poisoning. my next door neighbors are very odd. i don't want to accuse them of anything, but you just never know. i have another dog and she is at risk if there was foul play involved.

i can't believe this happened. the poor little guy struggled with mange and giardia as a puppy, but he turned the corner and was going really strong recently.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Good Grief - I'm so sorry to hear this :(:( - I don't think I can imagine what that was like for you. It could have been caused by several things but I'm wondering whether or not there was a heart murmur. Do you recall your vet mentioning it to you during one of his exams?

1 - 20 of 91 Posts