German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I prefer the black and reds/tans, maybe because that's what I think of when I think GSD. I really never really cared for DARK dogs, but now, w/ Zeva, I'm starting to really like the black.

I enjoy the sables also, they come in so many variants. It's the solids... I always felt that a GSD should have more than one color but looking at the dogs here, I LOVE the way the eyes pop on the Black GSD's and I guess the bi-colors as well.

I'm still struggling w/ the white, I don't know why. I have a hard time seeing the GSD lines in a white. I think Husky or Samoyed and I know, different dogs/shapes, but that's what I associate white w/...

So, for you, was it a certain color that got you at first? Have you changed what you like from one coat/pattern to another? Do you just love all of them?

Sadie was a silver sable, Lady a red sable w/ a faded saddle. Zeva is a black and red and as for right now, blanket back but she is getting her bitch stripe and may end up saddle.

Murphy is a red and black sable but he's so young, I can't imagine what he's going to look like when I get him or after he looses his puppy fur. His mom is really light solid red for the most part, but she's sable like her mom and dad is a black and tan, but could have been a patterned sable. The wait is killing me before getting him. I'm excited and nervous and worried and happy. I just wish I'd have him already so I could stop obsessing about it.

My fur-niece is a cream colored GSD w/ a faded saddle also. She was so much darker as a young dog, now when you part her hair, you can see the black, but she's mostly all cream. She's 13yrs old. That turned in to be longer than expected of a post lol....

So, which are your favs, can you chose one? I also think I enjoy the stock coat. LC's scare me... they need brushed more, right? I'd worry about tangles and hot spots.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I'm not sure why I like the whites, but I've always found them striking, even years before I got my first GSD. It's strange but I never liked sables until my nephew got one, now it's my second favorite (Mac's a red sable). I prefer the b/t blanket backs third. I'm not real partial to the so called Panda pattern, BUT I don't really dislike any GSD color enough that I could honestly say I would never own one.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Crazy thing is... that we breed West German Conformation bloodlines, which are primarily black & red or black & tan....and yet...my absolute "favorite" coat color and type is dark black sables....
Love the breed period...

·
Registered
954 Posts
Once we got Ace I fell in love with the blacks. He is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo handsome. :wub:I love the black and tans too. but since I joined the forum I fell in love with the dark sables. I guess I don't favor a color......just a breed.:D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I love the darker dogs. The contrast of a GSD with alot of black and some tan/red is so striking. I also love the darker sables because they just look so "wild" almost wolflike.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I like sables. My next dog will be a very dark sable.
I don't care for white or all black. I don't know why, I just don't.
Don't care for longcoats either.

But to each his own! :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I used to prefer the classic black/tan or black/red, or the 'wolf grey' sables. Now I really like the darker sables, and I also like the "off standard" colors a lot... I don't know why I prefer those colors except that the classic type was what I grew up with.

·
Super Moderator
18,673 Posts
Maybe because my first dog was a blanket b/t and I always seem to find what I want in that color. I am also partial to Bi's, blacks and sables with really rich color.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I am partial to the dark dogs. My first GSD was black. I've never been gaga over the lighter black and tan saddles, dark faces make me look longer! Black and reds are gorgeous and I like the coaties, too. White with black leather is stunning, I'm not fond of the brown or pink tinge.
Dark sable is my fav, then bi's blanket/pattern. The black sable is just stunning, as in Puck v Grafental's look! :wub:
One that is just gorgeous too, is Hexe "Lupa" from the Wildhaus H litter, a gorgeous red dk sable long coat...what a combination of everything beautiful!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i always liked blk&tan.
i now have a blk&red.
i never liked sables but after
being on the forum i really
like the dark sables.

i could go for a white or black.
lc's are ok also.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I am always drawn to dark dogs/cats..Have 5 black / black & white kitties.

I've had black/red gsd's, black & tan, bicolor, now a black sable..I go for brains first, color was not a real consideration, but in the end I have been lucky to have /had some nice looking dark dawgs:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I've always prefered black/tan but as other's have said after being on this forum....I now LOVE sables and would love, love. love one!

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Cody is my first GSD that I own personally and he's a black/tan. I was never into the sables even when I got Isa who's a black/red but then over the years I started seeing more sables and I fell in love with the black sables. Now I have Akbar who's a black sable. :D

If I were to say what my favorite colors are, it be (one is not better then the other):
Blk/tans, blk/reds, black sables, bi-colors

I've never been a fan of the white color, light sables, or all black. But that doesn't mean they aren't cute. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
i love long coats :DDDD
i also really like solids
i have a white and i would love a solid black
untill joining this group i wasnt a fan of sables and i would love to get a dark sable
i also like a very very dark black and red =]
all long coats of course ^_^

i dont know what it is but i really dont like "normal black and tan saddle back shepherds" and everytime i think of a gsd thats what i picture yet its not what i want in one and i thik thats due to the fact its so typical ect
i like the "unusual" even if they are unusual at all :D

all in all i love the breed :wub:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I always had black/tans growing up and they were my favorite, till I saw a black/red, I just about did a Charlie Brown back flip, I was in love, since than I had been on a mission to find the perfect one, and alas, the search is over, I have my boy !!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
All of them.lol.

Molly is a classic Black & Tan and Tanner is all black with a white patch on his chest, its his "badge" so he is Officer Tanner.lol. But Sables are starting to grow on me and so are whites.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the black/reds, which is what my Mikka is. But, on the other hand, I love all dogs so I think they are all pretty nice!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I perfer darker dogs and am absolutely in love with the dark sables.

After the sables, I perfer blacks then the black and red saddles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts