German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can tell I am new here and I was wondering, how makes this forum so special? I in NO way shape or form am trying to demean the forum or its members. I am merely curious as to why you believe this is the place to gather info on this amazing dog breed? Are their experts here? Is this site accredited with some expert body regarding GSDs?

I have several books on shepherds and dog training but I want much much more information on GSDs before I even think of getting one for myself. I am well aware these dogs are nothing to rush into and not as forgiving of training mistakes as a lab is. So your input is highly welcome.

And again I am not trying to be offensive or rude, I am merely curious about this forum that is all.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
For me, it is the constant flow of traffic. Many GSD sites are pretty slow, and if I'm on the computer, I like to see posters contributing(as long as they are being nice and have something to actually add to the thread!)
There are many excellent breeders who share experiences and knowledge along with pedigree info. There are also the health and training guru's that I look up to(though some don't post here much anymore)
The rescue threads are priceless, too. If anyone is wanting to rescue, there are many dogs posted with help to transport or do home visits, a good network going.
Not sure how long you've been looking around here, but most all the forums are full of "sticky's" and the info on them are up to date and more info than you can find in a book.
Oh, nutrition education is a passion as well....
Unless you are coming here with an attitude, most are willing to help, because the GSD's come first and foremost...you may not hear what you want to, but good advice is more common than not, and if you give bad advice someone will call you out on it, respectfully(hopefully)
Welcome to the site by the way!

·
Registered
316 Posts
For me it is the ability to get answers for my specific questions and hear from a broad range of opinions. I don't have to agree with all of them but they all give me something new to consider when making my decisions about what to do or try.

Like any other subject oriented forum, it's also nice to share stories experiences with others who have the same enthusiasm for the subject. Not everyone is as amused with stories about my GSDs as I am!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
For me it's the number of breeders, trainers, and handlers right here offering their insight for free on a regular basis:D

Oh and the fact no other GSD site has better looking dogs;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
This board is comprised of many people from all different walks of life who share one common interest - German Shepherds. There are breeders, trainers, members of rescue groups, members of K9 law enforcement, shutzhund members, SAR participants, etc. There are new folks looking for advice and help with situations, there are more seasoned owners who offer unbiased opinions when someone is in need of assistance, and there are people like me...I'm no expert by any means, but I have learned through real life experiences (I currently have 5 GSDs) and trial and error, and I've learned a LOT from this board. I've been a member since 2008, yet i have fewer posts than others may have because I have spent most of my time reading and learning. :D

I ALWAYS know I can come here when I need help. The people on this board have been life savers more than once! :help:

So, THATS what makes it so great. Welcome to the board. It's awesome that you are taking the time to first educate yourself before jumping into the responsibility of owning a GSD. There's plenty of knowledge floating around here. Soak it up

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
The best part is definately the traffic, and opinions. There are so many different opinions and while people bicker, you get to figure out which one you like best, whether it be about food or training or breeders (those get really fun). Each book you read is written by one author that only has one kind of experience and one set of methods for dealing with problems. None of the books I read before getting my pup even come close to the knowledge I've gotten here. Of course, take everything with a grain of salt as it is just one person's opinion. Some people here are more set in their ways than others and its what makes it such a great place to discuss issues.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend doing here is asking for people's opinions on a breeder you've chosen (unless you've done a lot, and I mean a lot of research). Not to take anything away from anyone that has given great advice, but over the past 4 months I've seen way too many people get attacked over where they got their dog from, some intentionally some not, but either way, I'm sure feelings get hurt.

But most of the information is great and you'll definately figure out what you want out of your dog after a few days skimming the forum.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
This forum can be so helpful! People are more than happy to help with questions you might have regarding training, what has worked for them and not worked, health issues, etc. It is also just plain fun! Great place to post pictures and make friends. I have several people that I now correspond with on Facebook. you will find a range of people here. From first time owners to professional trainers and breeders. Just a wonderful place to come for questions, support and advice. Glad you are doing your research before getting a puppy! Good for you! GSD's are not the easiest breed by any means, but with the right love, support, training and patience, you will have a best friend for life! Books can be helpful, but being able to get support from an actual person is so much more helpful. Since you indicate that you have never had one before, would you consider rescue? Not to push that, but maybe an older dog, not a puppy might be a way to start. GSD puppies are a lot of work, as are other breeds, but they are a handfull! My first puppy on my own was a lesson in patience and endurance. Worth the work though.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I frequent other forums that are breed specific to the other dogs I have. I like to read, post, and keep track of forums with quite a bit of "traffic". I know I can get answers to questions, and honest opinions quickly with a busy forum. When you participate on a forum with only a few active members, it gets pretty dull fairly quickly.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree with everything said above plus.....the moderaters here do a pretty great job of making sure this forum is a place for experienced dog owners, AND new GSD people who are learning the ropes.Other forums that I've visited (and didn't stay for long), the moderates let things get WAY out of hand far too often, in terms of cussing people out and very personal attacks and being condescending of new people, etc. I never posted anything on those forums. It was too scary!

The mods (and members!) help keep if fun, interesting, and very much a place where you can come to learn.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
There are a number of things that make this a good place for dog people.
1. The members
2. The mod team
3. The activity

I love this forum. It's not only perfect for GSD people, but for dog people as well.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
For me it's the number of breeders, trainers, and handlers right here offering their insight for free on a regular basis:D

Oh and the fact no other GSD site has better looking dogs;)
I agree with that :wild:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure there are lots of great books out there but where else can you get real time answers from hundreds of people who actually own GSD's!!

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Some people know a lot, and some people know very little. You have to come on often to determine who has the experience. The vast majority do own dogs and are growing and maturing as dog people.

I am a member of a couple of GSD sites. Two, that I visit regularly. I think that both have their place. This one seems to have a lot of people and a variety of questions and topics on any given day.

I think that it appeals to many people because there are a lot of people with similar interests within the overall breed.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Questions get answered - that's just HUGE. Information from so many sources and that nugget in there that just solves the problem that was driving you crazy!

All around excellent.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
What makes the forum so great is the members and mods. It is like a big family albeit sometimes there are some who don't always agree with others. The disagreements make it a good discussion-so many different points of view. The main thing for me is the support we all mourn together, laugh together,cry,etc like if someone loses a beloved pet we all feel that pain too. You are never alone in whatever situation you might be dealing with. If there is any problem that comes up and you need help more than likely there are other members that have been there too.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I originally joined because of my dog's allergies...I was looking anywhere and everywhere for help.

I found this board to be a WEALTH of information. There is a bunch of minutia at times, and you have to wade through it at times, but using the search function, you will find an answer to just about any question you have...and if you don't, just ask and you will have lots of folks helping you out.

Don't correlate date of joining with knowledge. Granted most of the "old timers" provide great advice, but many of the newer members have been long time owners/breeders/rescuers/trainers who may have joined recently and have a TON to offer you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts