German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
feel free to say as little or as much as you'd like. things that your sitter (or dog walker, or private boarding) does that other sitters havent. training, experience, insurance & bonding, services, policies, rates, discounts, facilities, requirements from you the pet owner, how you found your sitter, etc...

i'm all ears (eyes)
...and just to be clear - i'm talking about in/out of home services - not kennel facilities.

thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a pet-sitting team once that was the best I've ever encountered. Unfortunately, one of the partners went back to an office job. The best thing about them was their commitment to responsibly caring for my dog, no matter what. They called me to check about meds., called me with updates as I requested, stayed to watch movies with my dog to keep her company and ensured that by the time I returned my dog was calm and obviously well-cared for in my absence. The trust I had in them was priceless.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I got lucky, my breeder and my trainer (not the same person) both offered to babysit Stark if ever I needed it.

My breeder offers free babysitting (you provide the food) to all her dogs.. she actually gets upset with me (in a joking way) if I don't continue to update every month.. lol.

These people are the only people in the world I would trust with Stark.

They would give the same care, love and training/exercise that I would.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I own a professional pet sitting company. What you want in a ps before they come meet your dog is to know they are insured.then you want references-which you should call. then you want to see someone interact with your dog.You want someone who documents every visit to your house. you want someone who will exercise your dog.ask them if they have a back-up person for emergencies.
like anything else all pet sitters aren't created equal. I worked for a large co and the reason I started my own is becuz she had one employee who I thought was good.the rest sucked and I got one chick fired, she ws walking the poor dogs about 1/2 block.
I hate to brag but I haven't advertised in 5 yrs. MI has the worst economy in the nation yet I still work 40-70 hrs a week.I keep my prices reasonable and my service impeccable.I bend over backwards, I take dogs to the vet if I have to,what I don't make in wages I make in tips. I got over $700 in Xmas tips. I am successful because I CARE. I deal with dogs that other people can't deal with. I have liberated people's lives because they can finally leave town!
my job is very exhausting, somedays I am in serious pain from walking 10 miles but I love the dogs, every last one of them, especially the harder ones.My clients love me and they have made MY dream come true.
Once you find a great pet sitter-it can really change your life! you want the pet sitter that your dog gets excited to see you packing up to leave.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
At one time I did petsitting full time, and Suzy's post sums it up:)))

When looking for a pet sitter, in the end you want someone who is going to treat your animals the way YOU would treat your animals.

I advertised once, in the beginning, and never had to advertise again. It was all word of mouth and my vets recommendations.

I did it full time for about 4 years, and frankly got burned out! I loved what I did, but your life was not your own, and my own dogs suffered for it. So I scaled back, now have a PT job as well as a select few petsitting jobs..

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Any tips on how to FIND a good pet sitter? We found one person to pet sit, and she never showed up - not even for the initial meet & greet. We're newer to the area so we don't know a lot of people with pets, and the ones we do know board them when they are out of town.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
well I would write her off asap:)) not to even show up or call, very unprofessional.

Ask your vet, or call some vets in the area. Sometimes the vet techs do side jobs of petsitting as well.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
check local pet food store for biz cards/flyers. you must check references.I would first ask the vet/groomers/trainers/pet people in your area.If you can't find one and you love dogs you may want to consider starting a business.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts