German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted Apollo the day he was to be euthanized. He was in BAD shape. 9 months later...he's perfect!! :wub:

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
that's awesome

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
Gosh. Poor baby... They are so expressive, and the first pic just breaks my heart.
I can't tell-- did he have horrible skin and fur problems?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Woo!!! Go Apollo! You also get a huge atta girl and lots of puppy hugs for taking a chance on that boy.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This poor boy - he was at least 9 years old. Tumors all over, HORRIBLE ear infections that had his ears black, eye infections, missing at least half the fur on his body - no undercoat at all and he had a HORRIBLE skin infection that left his skin raw, bloody and smelly. No one wanted him. There was NO WAY I would let him get PTS. So...home he came with me. What a difference huh? :) Just remember - for all the horrible, AWFUL people that are out there in the world - there are also good people. .... It's the only thing that keeps me going! He is my velcro dog - completely...and you can see that he says "thank you" EVERY SINGLE DAY with his eyes. I was told to put him to sleep (by experienced people mind you), I was told his ears would be nothing but black. Well...I'm a thick headed Irish/German woman, I do not listen to anyone ... there's no stopping him...or me!! :) His ears are clear and he's running and playing and LOVING life!! I don't know how much longer he has with us but...his time will be filled with LOVE!! :wub: PS...I just posted a pic in the contest thread with all three of my GSD's. They are such good furbabies!! :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Bless you. *tears* seeing the before pictures, a look of defeat on his face, clearly not anymore. I have a huge soft spot for seniors.

Here's to Apollo enjoying life!!

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
That first picture; misery oozing from his face. next picture; the proud GSD that was hiding in him. Good for you, what a lucky dog and such a good lesson for your children. I hope he will have many good years with you.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
What a lucky dog! That is a very nice thing you done...Bless you

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
Huge difference between the first and last pic-so glad he found a home-the kids have really grown up-nice to see pics of them

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I took in a senior dog once, it is so hard to do and anyone that does it should be given credit. They deserve a happy life just as much as a puppy. I only had mine for about 2 years, but I took him camping, swimming, long walks, etc, all the things he never got to do where he was before I got him. Knowing that you gave him the best during his senior years will make everything so worth it:)

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Love it, well done!!!

(btw I clicked on the pic to photo bucket and saw the pic of the dogs, tractor and trailer, that is so dang cute! :D )

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
What a inspiration :) I rescued a 8 year old cocker spaniel with health issues, he only lived with me for three years but I never regretted getting him, the special needs seniors are truly angels :wub: I hope he has many more years with you

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
hard to believe that its the same dog. you obviously saw a diamond in the rough and he looked really rough :( now he is just beautiful, thanks so much for taking the time and money to make this boy really shine, very inspiring :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
beautiful boy. Gorgeous.

Jelpy

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone! He is amazing. I was worried about adopting a senior. I know "that" heartbreak will come that much sooner. :( And let me tell you - when his time comes - I know I will truly lose a piece of my heart. I can't even think about it. But...I'll know what a great end of time I gave him. He is my velcro dog!! Never - ever - leaves my side. :wub:

Yes - those are my GSD's on the tractor picture. They are such good pups! :)

I just rescued another GSD today. A 9 month old baby that lost her leg due to abuse. I'm trying to get her adjusted into this pack. I do not know if it will work but...I'm trying. I'm being very careful and I'm taking things very slow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will all work out. :fingerscrossed:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts