German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I've said before Killian is our first GSD, and we plan to do schutzhund with him. We didn't step lightly into picking our breed or breeding lines. We bought lots of books on the breed that informed us of a lot. I love to read and always love learning, so I was wondering, what books do you give four paws up?? I'd love to see what your favorites are! <3

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's pricey [but hey, the dog probably wasn't cheap, either], but I really recommend picking up a copy of "The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture" by v. Stephanitz himself.

It isn't a training book, but there are some very good insights into dogs, our breed, and our relationship, that can't be beat.

Even if you don't subscribe to a strictly purely positive training approach, "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor is a fantastic book.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just loved to read, and learn more, just the few books we have about the basic breeds can't cover everything about GSD's. I'm always looking for new things to learn and be educated about! <3

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's pricey [but hey, the dog probably wasn't cheap, either], but I really recommend picking up a copy of "The German Shepherd Dog in Word and Picture" by v. Stephanitz himself.

It isn't a training book, but there are some very good insights into dogs, our breed, and our relationship, that can't be beat.

Even if you don't subscribe to a strictly purely positive training approach, "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor is a fantastic book.

Oh that book looks fun! I saw another version of it on amazon but it was the "The German Shephard Dog in Word and Picture" in softback. Haha. The spelling cracked me up.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here I'll just copy and paste it. Written by someone named Carolyn:

This book is actually titled The German Shepard Dog in Word and Picture (sheperd is spelled with an a) and is not written by the original Max Von Stephanitz. It is just somebody else's story about german shepherds and looks suspiciously like a rip off of the orginal book.
Edit: On a completely unrelated note, I just got a spam email and the sender was called "Butts Levone." Just felt the need to share. :p

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

I just borrowed a copy from a club member but have yet to start reading it.

I probably won't get to it for another week or two (oh, the life of a Graduate student..lol.. never reading for pleasure!) but I am very excited to start!

I was told that some of the translation is kinda 'off' though in this text, how true is that?

·
Registered
313 Posts
For Schutzhund the few I have read and are good are "Der Schutzhund", "Training the Behavior", "Tracking from the beginning" and "Training Dogs- a manual"
Enjoy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Definately look into any and all of patricia mcconnell's books. she is an animal behaviorist and her books are great IMO

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
When starting a puppy this book is great:
Purely Positive Training By Sheila Booth
Schutzhund theory and training methods by Susan Barwig and Stewart Hilliard, Schutzhund obedience training in drive with Gottfried Dilei and Sheila Booth, Advanced Schutzhund by Ivan Balabanov and Karen Duet
Any of the Michael Ellis clips or video's are helpful too!Leerburg Streaming Video

1 - 18 of 18 Posts