German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My pup is around 3 yrs old and until now, I've never really thought about what line he might be. What do you guys think?

Here are some pictures and vids of him playing with a more "traditional" looking GSD.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add a bit of additional info.. Monty is maybe around 65lbs. The other GSD he is playing with is probably around 100-110lbs and is a female. He has always had a lean build and is extremely agile, plus he has seemingly infinite energy (he'll get done with a 1hr fetch session and will be recharged/ready to do another session in 20 minutes haha).

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
No one can tell you in definite terms what line your dog is without a pedigree. There are some general distinctions but unless your dog falls strongly into a type - sometimes you can’t even venture to guess.

For the majority of folks that have acquired their dog from a source that has not provided a pedigree, the answer is generally a mash up of line, resulting in “pet lines” for lack of better terms... this is the category your dog falls into for me.

sometimes even with a pedigree - if there was no intention or goal of the breeder (and i use that term loosely) other than putting two german shepherds together.... then the pedigree itself confirms the mash up, which is basically a mix of lines where ‘type’ is no longer distinguishable.

he looks to be a patterned sable (puppy pictures would tell us) which basically tells us that one parent was sable... but that’s all i got. sables, tho prevalent in working lines, can be found in any line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No one can tell you in definite terms what line your dog is without a pedigree. There are some general distinctions but unless your dog falls strongly into a type - sometimes you can’t even venture to guess.

For the majority of folks that have acquired their dog from a source that has not provided a pedigree, the answer is generally a mash up of line, resulting in “pet lines” for lack of better terms... this is the category your dog falls into for me.

sometimes even with a pedigree - if there was no intention or goal of the breeder (and i use that term loosely) other than putting two german shepherds together.... then the pedigree itself confirms the mash up, which is basically a mix of lines where ‘type’ is no longer distinguishable.

he looks to be a patterned sable (puppy pictures would tell us) which basically tells us that one parent was sable... but that’s all i got. sables, tho prevalent in working lines, can be found in any line.
Thanks for the insight. What you have said kind of confirms my hunch. Him being a lot less stocky and more lean makes me wonder if he is mixed with some other shepherd breed. I can only guess though. Maybe a DNA test will clarify things. Here are some of his puppy pics though. Monty Puppy Pics

·
Super Moderator
6,975 Posts
for clarification, i do not think he is mixed with any other breed than gsd.

...and yes, he is a patterned sable. very cute puppy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts