German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you please view my YouTube video of my two dogs interacting?

There's Juno, my 10 month GSD, and Titus, my beagle/ACD rescue, aged about 6 years.

I have my own thoughts but I want to hear what you have to say....

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Your mix's body language is screaming for your GSD to calm down and back off. Your GSD is being obnoxious.

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
It’s Juno being a brat LOL. She wants to provoke your guy to play, and he is saying, “ Back off, I’m not liking what you are doing, STOP.” You see he is showing whale eye, turning his head, lip licking. All signs of discomfort and stress.
Correct Miss Juno when she does this. She does need to be corrected by him, but I would reinforce because this can escalate to him giving her a nasty bite right in the face.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've seen similar interactions between my two GSDs with the younger one nattering and the older one warning. I wouldn't exactly call this aggression. It's dog communication. As Sunflowers said, you need to reinforce the warning so that it doesn't go too far and get out of hand. As Juno grows up and calms down things will get better. But my Natty is now almost three and Dasha is 6 and he still irritates her sometimes, but for the most part they get along really well.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
100% normal and not a big deal imo
That's a typical GSD trying to get the other dog to play .... and might just work with a little time. Exactly what my pup did with my older GSD. The older dog would ignore at first, then move to the occasional lip up but never went any further. The younger dog eventually respected the older dog's authority.

You can't punish a 10 month old GSD from trying to engage in play with a housemate. Just don't let it get out of hand if the other dog continues to have zero interest. Do they play ever?

After a few weeks/a month, my older dog invites the younger one to play, usually more directly when they are outside.

If the beagle is more lazy/non player or the GSD plays too rough, step in. Otherwise you're stopping what might be great dog interaction.

What level of true aggression is that? Zero

·
Registered
786 Posts
She is not showing aggression. She is trying to play. The other dog is trying to tell her off. I would correct her when she ignores his signals. While not aggression, she will get to a point where your other dog can't correct her even if he wants to. It is easier if you help him set the boundaries now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They don't play. They never have. My beagle mix is not interested in playing, particularly with Juno. She is too rough so he lets her take his toys/ win etc. She's taken all his toys since she showed up.

I would love for them to play. The mix barely tolerates her licks of affection :LOL:. He will smell her when her head is turned away, so I think he's accepted her as part of the pack.They sleep side by side at night.

Are there any ways I encourage them to play together?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
They don't play. They never have. My beagle mix is not interested in playing, particularly with Juno. She is too rough so he lets her take his toys/ win etc. She's taken all his toys since she showed up.

I would love for them to play. The mix barely tolerates her licks of affection :LOL:. He will smell her when her head is turned away, so I think he's accepted her as part of the pack.They sleep side by side at night.

Are there any ways I encourage them to play together?
I think due to the age/size difference as well as energy levels, they won't ever really play the way two larger/more evenly matched dogs might. I wouldn't cut it off with a hard line, just understand it's normal for a younger GSD to be a pest, don't allow it to escalate and continue to try to tire Juno out in other ways.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Or are permitted to "work it out between themselves ".

·
Registered
277 Posts
Is this an occasional interaction when the GSD is “hyped” or is this every interaction?

I have a 6 to 8 year old ACD/Beagle and a 4 month old GSD. Most of the time they play fine, mouthing, tug, toy stealing.

When I hear and see that kind of reaction from the older I step in if the GSD continues. If you don’t at some point the ACD will be forced to bite and that will probably change their relationship for the worse for ever.

I will even stop their playing sometimes when everything is fine. My house my rules when I say stop, you stop. With multiple dogs you need to train stop and go to your corners just like any other skill.

PS. Your GSD is not being aggressive , just an obnoxious kid that needs a little supervision.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This used to be an occasional interaction. I step in way before, but I just wanted some input so I let it go on much longer than I normally do for the video.

My ACD/beagle spends most of his time in his crate (it's open all the time, and he likes it in there), and the puppy knows to leave him alone when he's there.

Trouble is... my GSD just came out of her second growth spurt, and she just wants to go-go-go all the time. Everything we used to do is no longer enough. She is more and more obnoxious each day. We are working on it.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
This used to be an occasional interaction. I step in way before, but I just wanted some input so I let it go on much longer than I normally do for the video.

My ACD/beagle spends most of his time in his crate (it's open all the time, and he likes it in there), and the puppy knows to leave him alone when he's there.

Trouble is... my GSD just came out of her second growth spurt, and she just wants to go-go-go all the time. Everything we used to do is no longer enough. She is more and more obnoxious each day. We are working on it.
What are you doing for exercise?

What are you doing to teach an off switch and how are you doing it?

Reactions: JunoVonNarnia

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@MineAreWorkingline
We play fetch 2 - 4x per day or bite work or tug for min. 30 minutes. It depends on the weather. It's getting colder, and darker earlier, so we have to get our last exercise in early. There's bears on my road (though I have yet to see one) and drunk drivers, who speed along (those I have seen) the road which connects two communities. We used to go out at around 7:30 for the last play of the day (backyard), but now it's closer to 6 pm.

We do minimum one walk, sometimes me and the GSD alone, sometimes with the rescue. 20 min minimum, sometimes we go for a longer hike.

We play a bunch of games: she has to get her toys by name, she has to search for her food in the garage. Some tricks.

For the off-switch, I crate her and I sit on the dog, though I just started that. We also have a trainer for e Collar and we practice.

i used to keep her prong collar on her for most of the day for corrections, but recently not so much, so it is harder for me to correct her.

Honestly, she probably needs a "job" (as per the articles on the forum), but I am unsure how to go about this.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Imagine if your father in law was drifting off to sleep and your pre- tween would dash in and poke him every time he tried to relax.

That's the equivalent of what I see here. Put a leash on the GSD and give her a pop when she tries to harass the other dog. And/or make furniture off limits to her? I have a thing about furniture being used as a bounce house/jungle gym.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
A 20 minute walk does not sound nearly sufficient.

My 5 y/o is ok with a 20 minute walk IF he tracked that morning.

If there is no intensive training he prefers around 45 mins off leash running like a wild man.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts