German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just put boards up on the fence saying "do not feed, try to play with or touch the dog else will call the police. I have a police officer friend also who is a big k9 fan and gets to watch them in action and loves my dog.

Not exactly like that but basically if i catch anyone near the fence bugging the dog the police will be called asap.

if people ask why i say because shes got allergys and she hurt herself when someone was teasing her. I also have a no tresspassing sign up. I am moving soon though and getting a new house.

any sign you put up ? My dog will only bite someone bad if they jump inside the fence, if she gets free she wont hurt anyone, she wont even leave the fence area if the gate is open. If she did and came across people she would just sniff them and keep walking looking for me. I dont leave her out there alone much at all though she has her own dog door though.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think whenever I get my GSD, I'm just going to have a "German Shepherd on Premises" sign. Along with a "Beware of Owner" sign underneath it.

I wouldn't advertise that your dog has allergies, though.
Maybe just a no trespassing sign?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
i only say allergy if they ask why. I dont wanna say shes going to nail you hard or bite your fingers lol Mines really loud deep vocal though so kids dont wanna go near. Usually people want nothing to do with her. I just have it up in case. I have never seen a person even get 1 foot close to the fence. If they do that she will jump and try to get over and let out some wierd bear like noise. lol Its only when I have not given someone permission to enter. If i tell her its okay and say easy (diffuse command) and do a proper introduction she will calm down. Just takes her a bit to realize that I want that person around.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've noticed my neighbors, not all, but enough to that its noticeable, will not walk down the sidewalk next to my house when my dog is out. I watched someone one day cross the street to the other side without a sidewalk when they were walking to a neighbor's house, and then they did the same on the way back, only crossing to the sidewalk when safely past my fence. My dog barks at anything that moves. I thought about putting up a sign saying "Beware of Dog," but I have mixed feelings about it. I'm a common sense person, but legally I know there needs to be a sign in just in case.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
is there a law stating you have to have a sign posted if you
have a dog?

I've noticed my neighbors, not all, but enough to that its noticeable, will not walk down the sidewalk next to my house when my dog is out. I watched someone one day cross the street to the other side without a sidewalk when they were walking to a neighbor's house, and then they did the same on the way back, only crossing to the sidewalk when safely past my fence. My dog barks at anything that moves. I thought about putting up a sign saying "Beware of Dog," but I have mixed feelings about it.

I'm a common sense person,

>>>>> but legally I know there needs to be a sign in just in case<<<<<

·
Registered
118 Posts
is there a law stating you have to have a sign posted if you
have a dog?
No. Actually in my state the victim actually has a difficult time winning a case. My state blames the victim if they trespassed, knowingly went near the dog after it displayed aggression, if they were trying to commit a crime, teasing the dog, etc... Its very difficult to sue the owner and win here because the laws were written so long ago; back when most people had dogs exclusively for protection of their property. Signs always help though should you live in a state that is not so kind to the owner.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I have a dog on premises sign and a Warning, German Shepherd on Duty sign posted. I want to get another one that says "One mean b**** on the property. Beware of the dog also". lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I usually go with "If dog's attack lie face down until help arrives", that gets everyone's attention. I haven't had any strangers in my yard since posting it either. lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a:

"Beware of owner." sign
"Security system armed: (picture of german shepherd)" :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
My property backed to a public walking trail with lots of traffic on it. My split rail fence with mesh kept my puppy in, but strange dogs and kids liked to put fingers through the fence and agitate my puppy. As he got bigger he started barking back, and getting pretty excited about certain regular dogs.

I purchased CAUTION Bewareof Dog signs and posted them at each end of the fence. The response was immediate and people kept their kids and dogs away about 90% of the time.

No need for lots of additional intimidation or lying, just a simple sign. When regular folks persisted I'd holler at them and they quit irritating him too.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I was going to put a sign at the end of the drive that says.. "dog barks..owner shoots" but...I don't want to give anybody that kind of notice. Sometimes the shock factor or element of surprise works wonders on stupidity.

·
Registered
144 Posts
A lot of these are funny and cute, but at the end of the day my goal with a sign is to alert people, but not inspire a dare amongst teenage boys. As a youth who was slightly off track, I would have seen some of these signs as a challenge, and I was not afraid of clobbering a dog to prove my toughness. That's why I chose a rather plain sign for my back fence.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My parents had a sign a long time ago that just said "I can make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds, can you?" with a silhouette of a shepherd. If I'm correct, I believe you have to be careful in FL about admitting that your dog is dangerous, because you risk losing property insurance. So a "Beware of Dog" or similar would be doing so.

Wherever Judah and I end up, there will probably just be a vinyl silhouette on the window/door and a fire label stating theres a dog in the house.

We do have a "caution, zombie holding area ahead" on a post halfway down our long driveway though. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Please come in: the dogs are hungry and you look tender and juicy.

Or perhaps:
Cation: The owner is armed and off his meds.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts