German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have a closet full:) But for competing in obedience I've always used a thin 6' leather leash..

When I competed in agility, I always used a nylon slip lead. Easy to get off and on

·
Registered
166 Posts
I MUCH prefer the 4' leather leash in a 3/4" width. I skipped BN entirely, and am going straight for the CD, so the 6' sit for exam wasn't an issue. Used the 4' lead all through rally also and had the dog on a fur saver. Got some crooked looks from AKC judges but it's no different than using a choke chain so they didn't say anything.

Piper has her own special agility martingale leash but she runs completely nekkid. For herding she goes in a buckle collar. She knows which sport is which based on her neckwear for the day.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use a 4ft. x 1/2" leather lead for Obedience and Rally. I like the 4ft. because I can hold on to the very end of the lead, place my fist so that my thumb is up under my bottom rib, and it will leave a really nice "J" in the lead. Gives me a constant place to put my hand without too much slack and still long enough to not inadvertently correct her. And the 1/2" is nice and light.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I lost my 4 foot braided leather on a search (loved that lead!) bought a new 4' beta biothane, 5/8" and it is nice. Both leads had a ring in the handle so I can throw it over the shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I love my six foot, 1 inch leather leashes for walks, training, and everyday use. But for trials (if regs allow), I stick to a four foot 5/8 biothane leash - easy on the hands, looks clean and new, and not so long and bulky that it gets in the way or is awkward to handle.

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts
I use red leash don't know materials well. Don't use animal skins for leashes such as leather. Are there fake leather leashes out there?
Biothane leashes are a lot like leather but not slippery and they don't dry out. Very nice.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
This guy makes very nice biothane leads, is fast, and reasonable. Many SAR handlers buy from him. I just got the 4 foot I mentioned and a 20' with a loop big enough for a carabiner for use when I work on a long line. I plan on buying some other lengths from him as well.

index

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts
This guy makes very nice biothane leads, is fast, and reasonable. Many SAR handlers buy from him. I just got the 4 foot I mentioned and a 20' with a loop big enough for a carabiner for use when I work on a long line. I plan on buying some other lengths from him as well.

index
Very nice! Thanks for the link Nancy :)

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts
.... now I'm going to order a high visibility long line with a locking clip. I'm such a geardo.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Well, everyone is using big brands and fancy ones... :(
until last month, i was using (no brand) a rope, similar to rock climbing ones with bolt clip on one end and loop on other end, 6 feet long.
Right now i am using same type of rope but 1 inch or more at diameter with bolt clip at one end and loop at another end.
We do not do agility or any kinds of sports here, rather than that i use this leash for everything, walking, running, training :D
A picture is attached, it may clear up what i am trying to say.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,856 Posts
Leather braided. 4ft with a 2ft attached. :D

I thought about giving this company's products a try. WWW. combatk9.com
I use their fast bungee. Quality product for sure. I don't have any of their harness products, but I know a couple of people that use them and like them.

David Winners

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use their fast bungee. Quality product for sure. I don't have any of their harness products, but I know a couple of people that use them and like them.

David Winners

That is Great to hear. I have a Ray Allen Harness that I used with Sampson. I am very pleased with the way it has held up. I will probably purchase a Fast Bungee and their Cobra Collar for Ziggy. :D

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Waaaayyy back when, I expressed a preference for nylon.

Well, fast-forward some months and we're now solidly ensconced in the "fancy braided leather show lead" category.

Pongu's show lead is hilariously too-thick latigo because I was fixed on having these two particular colors and they were only available in thick latigo so that's what we got. It's broken in now, though, and fairly comfortable to use, and actually comes in handy when I get distracted and fumble-fingered in the ring (I tried the thin leather show lead, dropped it a couple of times, and decided I was done with that for the time being)... but the real reason is that I liked the colors. ;)

This past weekend I also picked up a nice tan-and-azure kangaroo leather slip lead for Crookytail's nonexistent agility career, but who knows if that one will ever see use.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
.... now I'm going to order a high visibility long line with a locking clip. I'm such a geardo.
Bud talked me out of the lockjaw for the long line I bought the 1/2 inch for lighter weight........but my main application is for control in urban type scenarios....they do slide through the brush nicely and the minimalist loop should be good for that as well.

I did get it for the 4 foot. LOL the lead I lost was clipped to the ring and around my shoulder and I STILL lost it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just bought one of the soft leather leads from Leatherleashstore.com Very pleased with it. However, going to have to purchase another as the one I bought is 4' and we need 6' for rally.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well, it's not like nylon leashes have ripped my palm skin off or anything, but it does slide through my hand so even if I started out a foot from the handle by the end of a heel (if I have to use a correction or something) I find myself sliding off! Plus holding four nylon leashes on a walk just feels icky. Im too young for arthritis but my knuckles hurt for some reason with nylon. Four well-broken leather leashes doesn't leave my hand sore afterwards. I have sensitive totally non-manly artist hands, though! Lol

Of course nylon is tops for dock diving/beach-going. :)
I have issues with nylon as well, I use leather although now I want to look into biothane. Hubs swears by nylon and hates leather. Good. he leaves my stuff alone.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts