German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of redoing our kitchen/dining room/living room area with one flooring. Just got a 6th month old rescue GSD and he slobbers so much more than our old 13 year old. I have been researching flooring and there is a product called Allure which is like laminate but supposed to be waterproof. I would like to stay away from linoleum because we have it in there and it just doesn't have much to convince me to use it again. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I don't see how it would be any more "waterproof" than laminate flooring. Either of those are fine. Tile throughout is another option. I personally have hardwoods throughout the house (kitchen included) and as long as the poly finish isn't worn off, it does just find with dog wetness.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I agree with GSDElsa. I need area rugs all over the kitchen cause after 3 years Zeb still hasn't figured out to use less claw and more paw. He slides all over the place even though I trim his nails religiously.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
A few years ago I had my entire kitchen and living room refloored in a product called Koneto. I LOVE it! Vinyl and waterPROOF! The type I got looks like wood, really. It even goes down in 'planks' though they are flexible rather than stiff. Go right over the existing flooring in most cases (wall to wall has to come up though :) ).

Welcome to Konecto.

Hey, here is was put down in a pet store!

They also have tiles

·
Registered
32 Posts
We just did our kitchen over in Pergo laminate flooring and am pleased with the choice. I was also considering tile but now when they drop their marrow bones on the floor I'm glad I went with the Pergo (I'd be worried about tiles cracking). Both would work fine as far as water resistance though.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
(I'd be worried about tiles cracking).
If you have tile appropriately rated for high traffice floor areas, there really isn't something your dog should be able to do to your tile to get it to break if it is installed correctly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
[/QUOTEIf you have tile appropriately rated for high traffice floor areas, there really isn't something your dog should be able to do to your tile to get it to break if it is installed correctly.

Good to know. Sure sounds like it could break though when their bones hit tile, I cringe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Emoore, is your floor that you replaced with stained concrete above a basement, or is it on a slab? Thanks for the input guys!!

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Emoore, is your floor that you replaced with stained concrete above a basement, or is it on a slab? Thanks for the input guys!!
On a slab. In fact, it IS the slab.

No basements in Texas, except for the one under the Alamo.

·
Registered
385 Posts
On a slab. In fact, it IS the slab.

No basements in Texas, except for the one under the Alamo.

How expensive was it to do this? That is what we were talking about doing in the living room and hallway, since 2 younger dogs and a cat mean that the wall to wall carpet is an ongoing disaster.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
We have ceramic tile throughout most of the house. My husband is a tile contractor. My dogs have dropped many things on the floor but never broken a tile. If it is put in correctly it is very strong. You should make sure, if you go with ceramic tile, not to get the really really shiny stuff as it is slippery when wet.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
How expensive was it to do this? That is what we were talking about doing in the living room and hallway, since 2 younger dogs and a cat mean that the wall to wall carpet is an ongoing disaster.
CHEAP. We bought the stain and did it ourselves. Cost about $60 for the whole kitchen and our big back patio. We bought all the materials from an online company called Kemistain. They give you directions on how to do it and you can do it in a weekend The great thing is that if you decide you hate it later, you can just carpet or wood over it.

The stain isn't like a paint that goes over the top of the concrete, it actually contains minerals that change the color of the top layer of concrete, so if you drop something you don't have to worry about chipping it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
CHEAP. We bought the stain and did it ourselves. Cost about $60 for the whole kitchen and our big back patio. We bought all the materials from an online company called Kemistain. They give you directions on how to do it and you can do it in a weekend The great thing is that if you decide you hate it later, you can just carpet or wood over it.

The stain isn't like a paint that goes over the top of the concrete, it actually contains minerals that change the color of the top layer of concrete, so if you drop something you don't have to worry about chipping it.

That is so amazing, thank you for the info! We wanted to ditch the carpet soon, but definitely don't have the $$ for wood or tile, so this is great. We figure that later on, when we are thinking about selling the house, we might want to install hardwood, but not now!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
That is so amazing, thank you for the info! We wanted to ditch the carpet soon, but definitely don't have the $$ for wood or tile, so this is great. We figure that later on, when we are thinking about selling the house, we might want to install hardwood, but not now!
That's why I went with the waterproof konecto. It looks like wood but is much better for the dogs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a towel on the floor under the water bowl to absorb the jowl drool. Smartypants grabbed the corner of the towel and hightailed it across the floor dragging the water bowl and flinging all the contents with it. No more towels for me!!

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
That's why I went with the waterproof konecto. It looks like wood but is much better for the dogs.
I second the Konecto, my sister in law has had it in her basement for about 5 years (I think). My plan is to put it in my basement when I get the funds...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts