German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my puppy home and he now at 8 weeks old weighs 15 lbs is that normal or small or big? And if it even matters he did come from a litter of nine.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My boy was 10 pounds at 8 weeks which compared to most GSD pups seemed smaller. He came from a litter of 10 or 11, can't remember exactly?

·
Registered
30 Posts
my girl was 14.3 pounds(had to convert that from kgs, 6.5 ) at 8 weeks, and with the growth charts given from the breeder she's smack on the average for a girl. Looking at it for boys yours is pretty much right on the average too :)

I could post a scan of the growth charts later tonight if anyone's interested

·
Registered
229 Posts
I would love to see the growth charts! Storm is either almost 9 weeks or almost 10 weeks, and was 9.6lbs at the vet yesterday. I thought she was a bit on the skinny side (you can see all her ribs), but the vet said he would much prefer her where she is at than on the fat side, and that he recorded her as a normal weight puppy in his records. She was part of a litter of 6 girls, the sire is 100% West German, and the mom is 1/4 West German and 3/4 Eastern European.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Togo was 6lbs at 8 weeks :eek: He was tiny and grew slowly, always behind the curve. But he's 1 year+ now and all caught up imo. 65lb but he's handsome.

After watching some problems his pup pals faced (like growing pains) I now realize it's better for pups to grow slowly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would love to see the growth charts! Storm is either almost 9 weeks or almost 10 weeks, and was 9.6lbs at the vet yesterday. I thought she was a bit on the skinny side (you can see all her ribs), but the vet said he would much prefer her where she is at than on the fat side, and that he recorded her as a normal weight puppy in his records. She was part of a litter of 6 girls, the sire is 100% West German, and the mom is 1/4 West German and 3/4 Eastern European.
Heres the growth chart given by the breeder as a guideline to keep her pups healthy, its all in kilos so you will probably have to convert it. She also gave a feeding guide based on a brand of puppy food and to switch to a large breed puppy food at around 4 months, and some visual and feeling tips of the dog.

This is my first pedigree dog, besides growing up with my grandparents great danes, so I was happy for the all the info she gave me :)

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/1412/ri74.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my girl was 14.3 pounds(had to convert that from kgs, 6.5 ) at 8 weeks, and with the growth charts given from the breeder she's smack on the average for a girl. Looking at it for boys yours is pretty much right on the average too :)

I could post a scan of the growth charts later tonight if anyone's interested
That would be great! Thanks so much

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
whatever your dog's weight it's perfect for your dog. use charts
and the weight of other dogs as a guideline.

I just brought my puppy home and he now at 8 weeks old weighs 15 lbs is that normal or small or big? And if it even matters he did come from a litter of nine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts