German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31,369 Posts
What competition has this exercise?

Yes, depending on the venue, commands may matter.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
What competition has this exercise?

Yes, depending on the venue, commands may matter.
I don't know!!! I'm a newbie to competition. Guess I assumed "Place" was required in competition, but it wasn't what I was thinking anyway. I should have gone to those shows you told me about. I'll stop talking about shows and competition:) until I do go to one.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
Thanks! Frisco will be taking me off my feet soon if I don't change my through to a down finish. Just want to confirm:

He can go from 0 to 100 in seconds. But he is also mellower and more tuned in to me.

You're talking about your WGSL here right? I find the same thing even though he is only 5 months. Very tuned in to me and mellow.
No, my working line (WL). The Showline I have now is a female and she is much less intense than he is but she is also much more independent.

He doesn’t need to barrel into your legs on a Through. You can teach him to go through lower and calmly so he doesn’t actually hit you on the way through. My WL is about average height, but he knows not to bump into me if he wants to get out the door. If he is too wild or pushy, I move my knee into his way and he stops rather than run into it. Then we work on calmer behavior on the way outside.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What is your "Place" command?

No, my working line (WL). The Showline I have now is a female and she is much less intense than he is but she is also much more independent.

He doesn’t need to barrel into your legs on a Through. You can teach him to go through lower and calmly so he doesn’t actually hit you on the way through. My WL is about average height, but he knows not to bump into me if he wants to get out the door. If he is too wild or pushy, I move my knee into his way and he stops rather than run into it. Then we work on calmer behavior on the way outside.

Thanks. My WGSL is definitely more chill for lack of better words. It’s a pleasant surprise as we wanted a family dog with the best chance of liking people and other dogs. So far he is a sweetheart in that department but still has all the GSD traits we are used to. That said, adults can be very different than pups. Males are more chill too.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts