German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically what is your dog expected to do when you say place? I have a good handle on training I think, but I think I would like to start using show commands and nomenclature. In the past I pretty much used whatever word I wanted as a command.

Frisco's best command at the moment is "Through". This is when he walks around my back, comes through my legs, sits and looks. He snaps right to it. I have seen people use "Place" for this which I think is more common, but the Place I have seen ends with a down/look and not a sit/look. In a few months he's not going to fit through my legs in a sit.

So, is "through" ok to use for the sit and should I start the "place" for the down? Am I making any sense?

·
Super Moderator
6,101 Posts
If he'll down with a hand signal, then as soon as he shoots through down him quickly.Then you can use the same command.Lots of repetition until it becomes the new normal.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If he'll down with a hand signal, then as soon as he shoots through down him quickly.Then you can use the same command.Lots of repetition until it becomes the new normal.

Thanks. He knows the down command more by hand signal than verbal. Down is actually his worst command from a verbal perspective. Hand signal is good. So you are saying stay with “through” and add a quick down?

·
Registered
31,100 Posts
Place is generally a command you use to when you are sending your dog somewhere. What you describe isn't that. What exactly are you trying to do?

And I use Giddy Up for what you describe. lol

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
"Place" is generally used for go to this location usually a dog bed, mat or open door crate and stay there.

For what you're describing, I use Volg. Basically I use three different heel commands depending on the location I want the dog to heel. Left side-Fuss, Right Side-Rechts, middle-Volg.

·
Super Moderator
6,101 Posts
Thanks. He knows the down command more by hand signal than verbal. Down is actually his worst command from a verbal perspective. Hand signal is good. So you are saying stay with “through” and add a quick down?
Yes.
BTW I don't do this with Samson.He'd flip me up in the air probably.I could call it "Rodeo":)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks. So what am I trying to do, lol! Basically, my "through" is your middle and giddy-up. He snaps around me, come though my legs, sits and looks up at me. Pretty standard. Saturday, my breeder was showing off Frisco's dad, and he used place for the same thing, except Clyde finished in a down between his legs. So my overthinking self thought "place" was the norm. Guess there is no norm. I'll stick with "through". When I first taught him this, the command I used was "legs", my girlfriend said it sounded stupid, it did, I changed to through.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Ok thanks. So what am I trying to do, lol! Basically, my "through" is your middle and giddy-up. He snaps around me, come though my legs, sits and looks up at me. Pretty standard. Saturday, my breeder was showing off Frisco's dad, and he used place for the same thing, except Clyde finished in a down between his legs. So my overthinking self thought "place" was the norm. Guess there is no norm. I'll stick with "through". When I first taught him this, the command I used was "legs", my girlfriend said it sounded stupid, it did, I changed to through.

Thanks for the help.

Don't over think the command. Kimber's box retrieve is literally "box" haha. I'm creative like that.

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
I use Platz for my dogs to lay down. I use voraus to go out to a place and step to put their feet on it. If I want them to stand between my legs it is mit-mir. Fuss is a standard heel on the left with a but swing to get into position. If I want my dog to circle me to come to the left I use Um. If I want my dog to back up between my legs I use Flitzen. And that is always either a treat or a great laugh, depending if they aim their hinney correctly.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
SFrisco's best command at the moment is "Through". This is when he walks around my back, comes through my legs, sits and looks. He snaps right to it. I have seen people use "Place" for this which I think is more common, but the Place I have seen ends with a down/look and not a sit/look. In a few months he's not going to fit through my legs in a sit.

So, is "through" ok to use for the sit and should I start the "place" for the down? Am I making any sense?
You can use any word you like as the verbal cue for any behavior you want. As long as it makes sense to you and you're consistent about what you expect when you say it, that's the most important thing.

What you're describing as your "through" command is what we typically call "line up" in flyball, except that we don't want a sit. If we're having someone restrain our dog for a recall or we're getting ready to race a heat we use the command to get our dogs into position and ready to go. From there, the handler will either grab the dog by the hips, or hold the collar and sometimes also put an arm under the dog's belly, which is how I held Halo.

Place is good if you want your dog to lay down somewhere in particular, like mycobraracr describes. To me, "down" means the dog should lay down immediately where they are, place would mean go to your place and lay down. I don't actually use a place command, my dogs learn "go to bed" means to go into their crate at night, and I use a "mat" command to go to a mat on the floor which can be anywhere. But again, it doesn't really matter what word you use, just pick one and train that.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I was using "place" for them to go to their spot. But the kids keep moving their spots (Molly Mutt beds) So now I just yell PLACE IT and it pretty much means lay down anywhere that is not in my way. I reserve platz for more serious stuff.

Scritch Scratch! accidentally became the keyword for my now 8 month old pup to go head first between my legs for a butt scratch. He doesn't fit anymore. So scritch scratch that.

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
What you are describing and cassidys picture I use under and point in the direction I want him to go under. You can use any word you want as long as it sticks and you remember what it’s for. Place Is as mentioned or i say spot - sending the dog to a specific place or dog bed - I use the area rugs and will point to where I want them.

·
Registered
31,100 Posts

Thanks for the help.
You can use any word you want. :) They only understand the English we teach them. If Place works for you, then use it. If Through works for you, use that.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I did this last night. He was real hungry when I got home and I have some treats he snaps to attention for. It worked really well. Probably did through and immediate down 20 times in a row. By the 15th time he anticipated the down hand signal and it became fluid. He did need the down or he would just sit and look. If it becomes a through that he downs for that would be good, if it requires a quick down that would be ok too.

I love training this dog. Seems there is nothing I can’t teach him in 15 minutes with the proper instructions from you guys, so thank you for all the feedback and sharing your approaches.

I’m running out of simple things to teach him. Time to move on to more complex stuff assuming he is ready.

His drive is definitely different than my last working line dog. Not crazy off the charts high for the things I’m used to. But high for some things I’m not used to.

Wondering if it’s showline vs working line? The tags would imply it. He is a sweet dog. Definitely a family dog temperament. Smartest dog I’ve ever had, but seems to not going to be as stubborn or OCD as my last working guy, which I like. I do miss high ball drive, but as noted, I can get this by better engagement.

·
Super Moderator
4,675 Posts
I was using "place" for them to go to their spot. But the kids keep moving their spots (Molly Mutt beds) So now I just yell PLACE IT and it pretty much means lay down anywhere that is not in my way. I reserve platz for more serious stuff.

Scritch Scratch! accidentally became the keyword for my now 8 month old pup to go head first between my legs for a butt scratch. He doesn't fit anymore. So scritch scratch that.
LOL, In my houss Scritch Scratch is Butt Ruffle!

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Yes, WL drive is quicker and more intense. My WGSLs have all had strong herding/prey drives, but nothing like the intensity of a working line. He can go from 0 to 100 in seconds. But he is also mellower and more tuned in to me. I use Down for instant down nearby. I had to switch to Place for a distance down because he always ran in first and then lay down next to me. Now Place just means find a spot, fast, and lie down. It’s also a temporary command. If I leave him in a Down, he can’t break it. If I leave him in a Place, it means stay for a while and then he can move, unless I add a stay command.

He taught himself Through when I was outside and he wanted to get out with me. He nearly took me off my feet the first time because I didn’t expect it. He liked it so much I taught him to Weave through my legs while I walk.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
I was using "place" for them to go to their spot. But the kids keep moving their spots (Molly Mutt beds) So now I just yell PLACE IT and it pretty much means lay down anywhere that is not in my way.
We haven't used it in years, but we used to yell "go find a spot", which meant what your 'place it' command does - quit bugging me and go lay down somewhere, lol.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, WL drive is quicker and more intense. My WGSLs have all had strong herding/prey drives, but nothing like the intensity of a working line. He can go from 0 to 100 in seconds. But he is also mellower and more tuned in to me. I use Down for instant down nearby. I had to switch to Place for a distance down because he always ran in first and then lay down next to me. Now Place just means find a spot, fast, and lie down. It’s also a temporary command. If I leave him in a Down, he can’t break it. If I leave him in a Place, it means stay for a while and then he can move, unless I add a stay command.

He taught himself Through when I was outside and he wanted to get out with me. He nearly took me off my feet the first time because I didn’t expect it. He liked it so much I taught him to Weave through my legs while I walk.
Thanks! Frisco will be taking me off my feet soon if I don't change my through to a down finish. Just want to confirm:

He can go from 0 to 100 in seconds. But he is also mellower and more tuned in to me.

You're talking about your WGSL here right? I find the same thing even though he is only 5 months. Very tuned in to me and mellow.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can use any word you like as the verbal cue for any behavior you want. As long as it makes sense to you and you're consistent about what you expect when you say it, that's the most important thing.

What you're describing as your "through" command is what we typically call "line up" in flyball, except that we don't want a sit. If we're having someone restrain our dog for a recall or we're getting ready to race a heat we use the command to get our dogs into position and ready to go. From there, the handler will either grab the dog by the hips, or hold the collar and sometimes also put an arm under the dog's belly, which is how I held Halo.

Place is good if you want your dog to lay down somewhere in particular, like mycobraracr describes. To me, "down" means the dog should lay down immediately where they are, place would mean go to your place and lay down. I don't actually use a place command, my dogs learn "go to bed" means to go into their crate at night, and I use a "mat" command to go to a mat on the floor which can be anywhere. But again, it doesn't really matter what word you use, just pick one and train that.
Here's my silly girl lining up at flyball practice:

Very pretty dog! So, in competition, it does not matter what you call the command?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts