German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Another vote for the sense-ation. Put on for walks/outings then taken off once we're back home and never had a problem with rubbing. Same goes for his tracking harness only for tracking never had a problem.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a front hook harness on my 5 month old gsd and love it. He doesnt pull with it and I can control him without any harsh corrections. I dont experience any rubbing off of fur. However, the harness is only used when out of the house. He doesnt wear it in the house, or in water. Wet harnesses will rub them raw.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I really DISlike the front hook harness (like Easy Walk) as it contorts my puppy's spine so much that I think it's doing more damage than good. I'm very interested in checking out the Sense-ation or Freedom harness.

That said- I DO like using a harness. He hits the end of the leash so hard- especially a flexi-lead or 33' training lead that I'm afraid he's doing real damage to his throat/neck on a flat collar.

[EDIT]- Opps. Looks like Sense-ation is also a front hook harness. Looks like I'm going for the Freedom harness.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I agree that harnesses will TEACH a dog to pull. It seems innocent enough when they are tiny puppies, but once they grow into a big exuberant teenager/adult, it's not fun to have them pull you everywhere you go. Harnesses are for specific things, mainly, when you WANT a dog to pull (protection, tracking, pulling a card or sled).

I do like the front-hook harnesses, they do seem to keep most dogs from pulling. But most of all, I like collars. Martingale for pups, prong for older pullers. :)

It's not good to leave a harness on the dog all the time, because it will wear off fur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts