German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just commented on another post and never thought to ask this. What is your favorite and most hated vacuum cleaner experiences. I know we all have dog hair problems. but i wanted to know from your experiences what is your favorite cleaner for suckin up that nasty dog hair all over the place. :confused:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/2835325635_d6f381f769.jpg
:DI for one got a great deal on a rainbow vacuum cleaner at an auction (actually my mother found it and i convinced her to let me have it.) i love this thing it NEVER cloggs and always cleans wonderfully. plus i dump the water (no dust) after every room and get clean water. so i get to see the dirt from each room so i know i did something. :D

I also have a little eureka with a little canister filter and i hate it. it never sucks up very much clogs constantly and then it costs fifteen dollars for a new filter.:mad:

I also have a dirt devil upright with a bag, but it holds so very little and even thought it sucks ok it gets the hoses clogged all the time. worthless!:mad::mad:

the only other one i like is i have an OLD kirby that has no filter bags so it spews dust whenever i use it. although it never clogs and has GREAT suction!!:crazy:

what's your favorite?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I have a dirt devil reaction, bagless and love it! over 2 years and still going strong.

I had an Orek (spelling?) thing broke before it was paid for! definitely my vote for "WORST VACUUM EVER"

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Five dogs, no carpet and a Shop Vac.

I had a Rainbow growing up and it worked great. I would do one again. I used to gack when my mom made me pour out the water though.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Filter Queen! It really is the best vacuum made. HEPA filtration is only down to .3 microns in size, the Filter Queen products filter to .1 microns and are classified as medical devices. For most people its not a noticeable difference but its huge to allergy or asthma sufferers. The FQ is the only machine I can use without having an asthma attack from dust spit back at me, including the big names like Kirby and Dyson. The FQ also has a lifetime warranty on the motor. The one I used to have had originally been purchased by my grandmother and then handed down to my mom, who gave it to me when she bought a Kirby haha. But after a roommate "stole" it I bought one off ebay for $200.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I own a Dyson DC17 Asthma and Allergy. I bought it because it had good reviews on plenty of web-sites. I do love it a lot, it picks up hair wonderfully, always making my carpets look sooo nice. BUT the only negative thing about is that since it's bagless, I have to dump it myself after each use, and sometimes the hair doesn't just "fall out" so I have to ... grab it with my hand, getting my hand dirty. Also, the contraption that holds the hair/dirt/etc isn't so easy to snap back onto the vacuum, it takes some fiddling. Over all, it's a great vacuum, would recommend.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Five dogs, no carpet and a Shop Vac.

I had a Rainbow growing up and it worked great. I would do one again. I used to gack when my mom made me pour out the water though.
i should put a picture up when i do my next cleaning:sick: (five bowls fullof hair and black water went down the toilet last week, clogged once):eek:gotta love that thing.:wub:

:bump:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Dyson Animal. Love it! We had a very nice dirt devil (forgot the model) and we could tell the difference after just one use of the Animal.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My favorite is a Ridgid shop vac, I think it cost me 29 or 39 on black Friday at Home Depot. I picked up an attachment for it at Lowes which is like a wide sweeper with a little brush on one side, that thing sucks up dog hair like crazy and I can go 2 months or more without emptying the can.

I have heard since the shop vacs don't filter very well that they are not good for indoor use.. but I've been getting by OK.

·
Registered
885 Posts
just got the dyson animal, LOVE it! before that we had a bissel pet...i actually cleaned with the old one and then used the dyson, amazing what it picked up and what the other one missed...now if i had to do it over again i would have gotten the "yellow" one because i dont care for or use the pet brush and that was basically the only difference between the two

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
LOVE the Dyson.. just can't see paying that much for a vac. I actually have the typhoon or something lol and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I loved my Dyson, the ex got it. :( Couldn't afford a new one so I got the Bissell Healthy Home, it works well, but I rather have the Dyson.

·
Registered
76 Posts
With 5 pugs and a German Shepherd, we killed TWO Dysons. The commercial about them NOT clogging is BS.

The cyclones inside eventually get clogged with hair and dust.

The older ones you could take apart and clean. The new ones you cannot.

We are on a Kenmore Progressive Bagless Upright and they are OK, but they still last us 2 years before needing replacement.

I would truly love to find a bagless HEPA upgright that can last more than 2 years with 6 dogs.

Industrial grade. With a rotating brush/sweeper. We have mostly hardwood and tile floors and area rugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best Vacuum

Dyson Animal has been the best for me for overall cleaning and especially animal hair.
Would recommend it highly.
Rena

·
Registered
746 Posts
I own a
Dyson DC17 Asthma and Allergy. BUT the only negative thing about is that since it's bagless, I have to dump it myself after each use, and sometimes the hair doesn't just "fall out" so I have to ... grab it with my hand, getting my hand dirty.
I have a Dyson Animal. For the bagless, once you take the canister off the vacuum, hit the canister on the floor a few times before opening the bottom and releasing the "dirt." Banging in on the ground a few times, makes the debris fall so you don't have to reach up and grab it.:)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I use many vacs in my work(I clean homes) and the rainbow is one of the best(especially if you have allergies).
Riccar, would be my 2nd choice for ease as long as you have the long floor attachment hose.
The BEST~ IMO is the Beam central vac. If you are building it would be worth it to put one in.
For my home, I have a $99 Bissell(my floor attachements from my Kenmore fit it, so it works great for hard floor and carpet) I clean the filters out regularly with the air compressor. You wouldn't believe the amount of dust the filters gather.
I have a Kenmore that sucks horribly($400), and a Panasonic($130) that is ok, but I fill the bags often, prefer bagless.
I don't think the Dyson is worth the $$$.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use the Dyson Animal. I do have to blow out the canister with a air compressor now and then, but it works great.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts