German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned GSDs and love them. But for some reason, I have always had the desire to own a Doberman. I try to read everything I can (here and the dobe forum). I can't decide! GSD (which I know and love and am familiar with) or Dobe (beautiful but unknown)?

Opinions, pros/cons......talk to me, please!

·
Registered
14,028 Posts
Both!!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I wanted a GSD, a Rotti and a Dobbie, but my MIL would have been scared of the later two, and she is a nag so we just kept what we know and love.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i love GSD's but i like all dogs. there's definitely other dogs i would own. i really like those red Dobes. so, what's the new Dobie pups
name, male or female?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I don't have a puppy yet. I need to wait a bit. I have two other dogs that are both seniors. I am filling my time by doing lots of research.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It sounds like you really want the Doberman to me. Get what you really want and don't settle. Just make sure you do all the research before you get whatever you get, but it sounds like you already knew that.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Ditto what Lucy said!

But be careful! In my deed restrictions, GSDs are not labeled under "dangerous dogs" but Dobes are in there along with anything that remotely resembles a pit bull. It's probably not an issue at all, lol, but just saying

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
One of our volunteers, who has been a long time GSD fanatic decided to try a Dobie for a change.

They love their Dobie and would never give him up, but now they have a Dobie and three GSDs! They have adopted two of three GSDs from us after they got the Dobie. They will always have GSDs, but this will probably be their only Doberman.

I had a stray Dobie here for about two weeks and I could not get over how much body contact they like. None of my dogs are very snuggly, so it was strange always having a dog leaning against my leg!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, I don't mind body contact. I have a toy poodle. She sleeps in my armpit, tries to sit on my lap in the bathroom, has actually jumped into the bathtub with me (very unexpected, now I watch her like a hawk......I had to blowdry her and everything!)

I am just trying to figure out the differences in personality/temperment, training, how they mature, male or female.

Which is more "stable", which is more "mellow".....

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
so, what's the new pups name "going to be"? is it "going to be a male or female"? you are so going to get a Dobe pup?
all of that research leads to a pup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't know! I hate to say this.....it kinda depends on which of my seniors passes first (my toy poodle is female, big mixed breed is male). I have actually had very few males dogs, prefer females.

I have not made up my mind though, Doggiedad. Seems easier to find a well-bred GSD than a Dobe.

I dream of carpet without clumps/balls of black fur........

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Dobe shed small fine hairs I have been told, not clumps likes GSD's but they do shed. They also get cold. But you live in a warm climate so that is not a factor.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
AOL used to have an extremely active Dobe message board which I loved reading. It's almost dead now, but they still have a couple people posting who know alot about the breed.

One thing you should explore is that I've read that male Dobes are same sex aggressive. There are exceptions - one's living next door to me that gets along fine with their ultra-hyper male Aussie/Border Collie mix male. Some can be very mouthy.

I can't find the information, but I have read that certain skin problems are color related with the Dobe - true? false? - something you may want to reasearch.

In case you haven't checked, the DPCA's website has a wealth of information. The site includes rescue information and breeder referral.
http://www.dpca.org/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I don't actually have experience with GSD puppies! When I was married (I was in the Air Force) my then husband got a GSD puppy and I was stationed elsewhere.....so I didn't experience puppyhood. And the other GSD I had was adopted when she was two. She had gone back to her breeder because her owner had a heart attack.

I am just really trying to get an idea of what will be right for me AND ensure a happy home for a new doggie.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts