German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it was just my shih tzu she used to bark at night and chase the squirrels and possums away, then along came maltipoo. He took over the job and my old shih tzu just continued sleeping. Now I have noticed that its my 4 month old gsd pup that runs outside and barks at the squirrels and the other two dogs stay in their bed. The gsd has a really deep loud bark and im sure he is waking up the neighbors. Is this a ritual of dog packs? the last one in has to take the night watch lol? I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why this happens.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I don't know why dogs bark into the night. Maybe it's there way of saying this is our territory.

I do discourage my dogs barking at regular noises around the house/neighborhood. They will still bark at strange new noises. Now if they bark I will go check what they are barking at and thank them for raising the alarm but reassure them I am not worried about it.

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Reasons could be different. He could be bored, barking at some imaginary enemies. He could be simply curious if some other dogs answered him, he is conversing about good weather, full moon and his moods. Whatever the reason is, it would mean he doesn't have enough of exercise during the day.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Neither of my GSD's are barkers. I still haven't heard the male bark at the window or if someone knocks. He just doesn't bark, unless we are out and he's sees a dog. If my female barks then I know something is not right, because that is the only time she barks.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Whatever the reason is, it would mean he doesn't have enough of exercise during the day.
It may be so but i don't think it is related. A dogs ears never sleep. You can tire a dog out but his guardian instincts are still intact. If it becomes alert it's not gonna turn around and say, 'I'm too tired to go check that noise', it's gonna be out there barking and investigating.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Reasons could be different. He could be bored, barking at some imaginary enemies. He could be simply curious if some other dogs answered him, he is conversing about good weather, full moon and his moods. Whatever the reason is, it would mean he doesn't have enough of exercise during the day.

David is right my gsds never bark unless there is something to really bark about

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you're allowing them to bark. do you correct them when they
bark? if you're sure your GSD is waking up the neighbors you
should stop him from barking.

When it was just my shih tzu she used to bark at night and chase the squirrels and possums away, then along came maltipoo. He took over the job and my old shih tzu just continued sleeping. Now I have noticed that its my 4 month old gsd pup that runs outside and barks at the squirrels and the other two dogs stay in their bed. The gsd has a really deep loud bark and im sure he is waking up the neighbors. Is this a ritual of dog packs? the last one in has to take the night watch lol? I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas why this happens.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
correct him for being a dog? :crazy: A bored one? really...

Im pretty sure hes not bored, because its usually around 11 pm or later and he's usually sleeping lol.

I have noticed that other neighborhood dogs bark before he gets up and takes off through the doggie door. I usually leave it open so all my dogs can go to the bathroom at night. but lately I have to get up , bring him in and close the doggie door.
I have to note we have a cat hoarder 3 doors down, ( about 15 outside cats) lots of squirrels as everyone has fruit trees on my block and lots of possums. Im sure all the dogs are barking at the same squirrels etc.

I dont have a problem with getting up and bringing him in. i was just wondering why the other dogs have left it up to the gsd now. It used to be my shih tzu and then the maltipoo took over and now it seems they both stay lying down and let the gsd go look for the bump in the night.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
you're allowing them to bark. do you correct them when they
bark? if you're sure your GSD is waking up the neighbors you
should stop him from barking.
I get up and bring them inside and close the doggie door anytime I hear them. I dont physically correct any of them for doing it because what if it was for someone trying to break in? I just make sure they are not outside barking to wake any of the neighbors up.
I hear dogs barking all the time in my neighborhood , (I live in Los Angeles) almost everyone on my street has a pit bull or some large dog and about 80% of them live outside 100% of the time. its a nice area but we do have a few houses where 3 or 4 families live in the one house and have several dogs. One of those houses has at least 3 full grown pit bulls and they are always having puppies and they live outside barking at everything. The other dogs barking doesnt bother me though, im used to it, but I dont like my dogs doing it because i think about my neighbors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts