German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look on Kenya's hip, see that darker circle? What is that? I noticed it about a month ago, thought it was greasy spot, but it has only become more pronounced and she has been fully bathed. She only has it on the left side. Kinda cool, huh? (sorry these are just candids, not good stacks)

June 1

April 28

Feb 24

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Is it just the fur that's dark? The skin underneath looks ok? I know coats can still change overtime but that resembles a crop circle. Has she been alien abducted recently??

Obviously there's no pain or anything going on or you would have mentioned that.

I've never seen anything like that.

Lu

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally Posted By: luanneIs it just the fur that's dark? The skin underneath looks ok?
Don't *think* so, but we will check tonight. She did have a skin issue/reaction this past month, but that was confined to her belly/privates.

ETA: If it matters, she is 4 years old.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes Kenya must have the Dark Mark!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Maybe that is her birthmark!
Could be huh? Sometimes you can't see them on people until they older. I will go hunting for Ruby's tonight!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Originally Posted By: Liesje
Originally Posted By: luanneIs it just the fur that's dark? The skin underneath looks ok?
Don't *think* so, but we will check tonight. She did have a skin issue/reaction this past month, but that was confined to her belly/privates.

ETA: If it matters, she is 4 years old.
The reaction was to the fertilizer/weed kill in the grass right? Maybe it's residual from that but seems strange that it's in a circle like that.

OH wait...your pictures are showing this appearing over months.

Yeah, let's take a look at the spot in class tonite to see what the skin looks like underneath.

Lu

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I *think* that reaction was b/c of the idiot who can't read and sprayed my lawn with POISONS while I was in Florida (she got all these tiny little spots, like little zits or blood blisters, then after a while the skin just flaked off and now it's basically gone).

If I have time, I may groom her tonight before class. She has SchH tomorrow and the TDI test on Sat. I don't mine "doggy" looking and smelling dogs, but I'd like her fluffy and shiny for her therapy eval.

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
how many times has she blown her coat since you've had her? maybe its always been there and just shows up seasonally when her coat is thinner.

i think its cool!

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure b/c honestly I don't even know if she blows coat. I've had her almost a year, and I brush her maybe once a week (more often right now b/c it's hotter and we are doing shows). She has a pretty short, tight coat, but not really dense. I've never seen it get "clumpy" (like around the neck/chest) like I see on most other GSDs.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Don't know if this is sort of the same thing here, but I have a pic of a circle on kelso as well. I noticied it awhile back (this is a recent pic, 17-18 months) At first I thought he had something on him, or his hair was matted. But after further investigation it is just a whirl of hair on him, sorta like a cowlick.

As you can see I had not brushed him and he has wonky hair anyways
Image uploading. Refresh page to view
and he has longer hair than your girl, but on his legs it is very short and this is where the circular cowlick is.
He is darker than Kenya so maybe her circle just shows more? Or maybe they arent the same thing at all
Just thought I would post this pic, I marked it with arrows

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
After further review of Kenya's hind quarters....it's just darker fur. Very cool that it grew in a circle like that!

Lu

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally Posted By: luanneAfter further review of Kenya's hind quarters....it's just darker fur. Very cool that it grew in a circle like that!

Lu
LOL, we inspected it last night. I groomed her again (full bath in a professional tub, high velocity air dry, brushing, making sure that spot was clean). There's no skin condition underneath, no pattern of hair growth (it lays flat), it's just.....a circle! We're stumped...

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Clear as a bell what it is to me.

A beauty mark!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Just a genetic fluke I guess? Brenna has a couple herself.

She has a light spot on her black thigh (near her knee)

and a wonky hair tuft on her ear.

The one on her thigh drives me nuts since it looks like she is blowing her coat but no amount of brushing will make it go away. lol

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
i am thinking maybe it is a sable thing?? Kelso has the thigh thing and the behind the ear thing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts