German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WHAT is this??????

I just noticed it now, when I washed him after our hike.

Its in his groin area, kinda on his inner thigh/by his man junk.

It seems to be bothering him, he doesnt like me touching it, and nibbles at it.

I have some panalog ointment, should I put that on there? (nystatin, thiostrepton, neomycin, triamcinolone acetonide)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Looks like a rash or something from some plants that irritated skin? Lara peed in a pile of weird plants that she hadn't played in before and got a bunch of red skin like that near her lower belly and it went away the next day, but not sure what yours is D:

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Katie it looks to me like he's just been scratching. Men like to scratch there ya know...:p

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm having trouble really seeing what it is in the picture well enough, can you describe it some? Is there a lump or just a red area? If there is a lump is it hard? Is the area hot to the touch?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought maybe hot spots but I have no idea what they look like. And as for the puppy pyoderma, he's been having bad pyoderma since I had him, but it has never looked like that. Never been that big! But, maybe? I use the panalog for that, so Ill see if it clears it up. If not, I think I'll take him in just in case. He was in the brush today while hiking, so just want to be safe.

And it isnt really lumpy, or hot, but he hardly let me touch it, and it was right after his bath. Meh boys.......Michael, he is always 'scratching' there LOL.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try and get a better picture, he's about to pass out.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took him to the vet today since it wasn't getting better with the panalog. It's a staph pyoderma. Got diff ointment, hope it goes away and he leaves it alone so he doesn't get the cone of shame put on.

He's a ham and was working his charm with everyone. He gets such special treatment there LOL

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Could be a staph infection too. Staph in dogs is not as bad as in people and some antibiotics will knock it out if that is what it is.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what it is selzer :) staph infected pyoderma. He got some antibiotics and it should clear up.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I hope he kicks his staph infection soon Katie.

I'd say if the second ointment doesn't work it may be time for something oral. You don't want this to spead past his skin.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Michael! Yeah I know, he's has such bad puppy pyoderma too, on and off. And well now it's this, and it's obviously bothering him because he won't leave it alone. I hope it goes away, I'm gonna keep him out of the mud, brush, water etc for the week.. :(

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
It is the same thing. Pyoderma is caused by staph.
When Hans was little, the spots were small, and now that he's older they get larger.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is the same thing. Pyoderma is caused by staph.
When Hans was little, the spots were small, and now that he's older they get larger.
hm. Well they gave me different medicine, I guess. The one I normally use for his little outbreaks wasnt doing anything. How old is Hans? The vet said it was cause his immune system is not strong enough yet......wondering if the pyoderma will ever go away. :(

Well thanks, I didnt know it was caused by staph. Ugh coulda got this medicine way cheaper at my work and avoided a vet visit but rather err on the safe side.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
What did they give you? Cephalexin?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What did they give you? Cephalexin?
Mupirocin ointment. They had previously (months ago) given me Panalog for the pyoderma.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Ok, haven't heard of that.

Let's hope this clears him up.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
Ok, haven't heard of that.

Let's hope this clears him up.
It's Bactroban.
I hope it clears it up.
I just looked at Hans and he will probably need to go to the vet. It's red and he's licking at it. I think he aggravated the rash by doing this.
He seems to be very sensitive to grass, especially weeds. :(
Ugh, I hate this skin stuff!

His age is in the link at the bottom of my signature.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Selzer, hope it clears him up too. Poor boy is obviously bothered by this rash. :(

It's Bactroban.
I hope it clears it up.
I just looked at Hans and he will probably need to go to the vet. It's red and he's licking at it. I think he aggravated the rash by doing this.
He seems to be very sensitive to grass, especially weeds. :(
Ugh, I hate this skin stuff!

His age is in the link at the bottom of my signature.
Oh, so he's a few months older than Berlin. Well more like half a year. UGH thats how Berlins is, very red, hes been licking/nibbling it, which is aggravating it more. He had the one huge rash yesterday, then today had another one. I hope this stuff clears it up as well......I have a feeling the brush and mud and rainy weather might have made it worse, his underside gets so muddy.

I am so sick of this skin stuff....:( I wish the pyoderma would be gone for good! Every time I think it is, another flare up happens. The medicine will get rid of the one rash, and then another one will pop up a few days later.

Do you do anything for his pyoderma?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts