German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting to post this for awhile and finally have the time. We have our 5th GSD, so we are familiar with the breed. Mason was born in June 2018; not yet neutered and from von Schneiden Fels. We love him and he is a pretty good boy. We were doing working dog training for awhile, but last year I had to stop because my dad got sick and I went away to live with him. My trainer has some thoughts but I am not going into that here. We will probably neuter close to two years old. When we reserved the puppy, I asked Jeff to find one similar to our previous dog from the same kennel (a 2010 male) because my son was 6 at the time and that dog was great for him. So Jeff picked a puppy and told us, "he's a cuddler and he talks a lot" - and he does!

What I am curious about is this. I cannot walk anywhere without Mason jumping up and following me. If I go to pee, he wants to see what I am doing. When I get out of the shower, he wants to lick the water off me. When I am getting dressed, he has to sniff my socks. and my underwear. and my jeans. and my shoes. and so on and so on. NOTHING seems to be off limits in regards to personal space. If you aren't careful when you are getting dressed, you might get a cold nose up your butt crack. It's like he has to be up in your business, ALL THE TIME. Now I appreciate that he's affectionate, but sometimes it feels like the bad husband from "Sleeping with the enemy" - just not abusive. He is very play driven, but will leave his food and walk away from a bowl of it to "see what I am doing in the living room now" - so oftentimes I have to take the food away so my other dog doesn't scarf it down. (My dad's dog, she's an Aussie and she is an opportunist.) Mason was like this before she came here, too. My trainer did make the comment that a German trainer would describe him as being, "busy in the head". :)

Let's start with this much - ask questions, or give ideas.

·
Registered
807 Posts
That’s my dog. He’s a German Shepherd. I didn’t think they came any different. Only mine licks water off my leg while I’m in the shower. 😂

It’s part of their nature to monitor you all the time. If you don’t like it, shut the door or teach him a down/stay while you’re busy. I don’t like my dog in the kitchen while I cook. One shake and his fur goes a flying! So put him in a down/stay outside the kitchen and he stays there until I’m done.

·
Super Moderator
5,468 Posts
You described Russell perfectly. Always up my butt. Scarlet is to some extent, but not like Russ. I would jokingly say to him “stop looking at me”. Everyone should have a dog with such engagement, lol. Makes it super easy to train them.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Crate him when you shower and dress. You can also teach a place command or down stay. I would also crate when you feed him so he can just eat and not worry about where you are since the option to go look for you is not available. It's up to you to establish the boundaries you want.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I agree with Bramble. It's up to you to set boundaries. Being cuddly and affectionate is one thing. You have just been letting get him away with unwanted behaviors for too long likely because you like his cuddly, lovey side. But that doesn't excuse annoying, pushy, unwanted behavior. He's smart...you're smart...up your training and just don't allow what you don't like.
My dog is pretty velcro but I don't let her lick me after a shower. As a puppy she one time actually jumped in the tub with me while I was taking a bath. That happened one time. I wasn't having a tub mate...thank you very much. She started getting in the habit of checking on us while we showered as well. Poking her nose in the shower curtain. It only took a few times of telling her out, keeping her out of the bathroom to stop that behavior. We can shower with the bathroom door open and she plunks herself down just outside the door now and leaves us alone. It's training plain and simple.

·
Registered
987 Posts
It is an issue of obedience. Teach your dog an incompatible behavior and make the behavior reliable. When you go to get dressed, teach the dog to down until you are through and then give the release command. You will initially need to teach the long down away from where you are doing things and just focus on teaching the down and holding it. A dog can't be all up on you and in the down position at the same time. This can be a stepping stone to eventually teaching the dog what "no" means which is also part of the problem.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lex is not allowed upstairs where the showers/tubs are, if she would she would be doing the same thing. She knows her boundaries. Doors closed and strict No!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I understand the "I need to get back to basic training" and make him start down/stay now most of the time. It wasn't too bad before when we were training each week.. and it was always ME who took him to training - not my son or husband. When I was away for 5 months, NO ONE trained him - he probably forgot most of the stuff he was learning and he probably got into some bad habits. I should say I don't dislike the velcro dog; it is nice and I get this is their way. But like I might be sitting doing something else and a wet nose will suddenly come poke my elbow; then again, he's coming to ME because I "listen" to him. I might see if he has to go potty, or see what he wants. Maybe the men ignore him and he just knows, "I will get HER to pay attention to me!" He also just casually walks past me and HAS to tap me with his nose. Like, "he, I am here...."

I think I am only going for CGC and BH with this guy; our trainer doesn't think he is hard enough for any IPO. (With handling my dad's estate now, I am doubtful of the time I have for that now, anyway...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts