1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
^ yup.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
While having AKC papers obviously doesn't mean your dog is well-bred, NOT having papers of any kind is a pretty good indicator that they're not exactly the product of a well-run, well-thought-out breeding program.

Pro's- Basically guarantees your dog is purebred. Eligibility for shows, etc.
Con's- there aren't, except for people who laud their dogs as being "AKC registered" like it's an achievement.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Guarantees you have a purebred.

You can do AKC shows and trials.
:thumbup:

Also, you can research your dog's genetics back as far as you want and it gives you information on health clearances of the relatives and other very useful information

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
How do you do that?
Either use pedigreedatabase.com. If your dog isn't there, you can add it and make all the connections using the pedigree you have from the AKC. You can also contact the AKC and for a fee they will send you bigger and bigger generational pedigrees of your dog, or any dog you ask about in your dog's lines.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Full AKC registration means I can UKC reg and do UKC events/titles, USCA registration for USCA breed survey, participate in SV shows through the USCA or WDA, DNA on file through AKC, etc.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
How do you do that?
When you register your dog, assuming you have documents from the breeder, the pedigree can be part of the registration package from AKC.

Or, if you have the pups parents names, sometimes you can just plug them into Pedigreedatabase.com and pull up your pups parents lineage depending on how many of their lineage had been registered there. Sometimes depending on the lines, you can go pretty far back.

·
Registered
519 Posts
It's pretty cool to say you can and have traced your dog back to the very first german shepherd in existence. You can't do that without registration papers.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's pretty cool to say you can and have traced your dog back to the very first german shepherd in existence. You can't do that without registration papers.
Does it matter is it doesn't have a full name like Von something? Like this is my first pup to have papers and I have no idea what the use of them is besides proving he is purebred..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Does it matter is it doesn't have a full name like Von something? Like this is my first pup to have papers and I have no idea what the use of them is besides proving he is purebred..
Personally i dont care...as long as my puppy is healthy and happy.
I think those german names are good only if u care much about pedigree for breeding etc

·
Registered
838 Posts
The AKC does more harm than good for breeds. People think all they need are registration papers and the dog is breedworthy. Some of the best working dogs in the world are not registered. Same goes for the SV. At least they have breeding requirements but look at the decline of the breed.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Sadly, a piece of paper will not guarantee that you have a purebred.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
i agree with chip, akc allows anyone with a check to register their litter. if you are not planning on doing AKC events, save your dollars.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Sadly, a piece of paper will not guarantee that you have a purebred.
But it's a start on ALL the things we need to look for when researching for a RESPONSIBLE breeder.

My goal is to up my chances on getting the best temperament and health of the breed of my choice. And if I'm spending a penny to get that, it's only going to a breeder I have researched that has the same GOALS as I do and take their responsibility to each and every puppy they breed for the life of the dog.

These breeders USE the registries!!! If you know the parents of the dogs and people and can do the research on the lines/health/temp then it's a great history that can help with your program. Plus many registries include the titles (so you know there is some type of health/brains and possibly age in conjunction with different titles) and OFA health.

So for me, it's not just the fact there is a title on my puppy, it's the titles all all the lineage and how a responsible and informed breeder uses them that's important.

A title is just another of the tools a great breeder has to use to help improve and work on their lines.

---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/choosing-breeder/137533-things-look-responsible-breeder.html

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
How is that?
You have less than honest folks out there. They are breeding for the profit and not for the breed.

A litter of puppies can have several different sires, or a single sire. As long as the litter owner has papers on a bitch and someone has papers on a sire and will vouch that the dog was the sire, the litter can be registered. Doesn't mean it was.

Wanted to add: Exactly right Maggie!!! This is one of the main reasons I'll only go to a responsible breeder. They could play the name game, but it's to their benefit not to. They are putting their name behind each pup.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It depends on how you look at it. Many puppies are sold with limited registration - they're registered, but the breeder doesn't want them used as breeding stock. So if the owner decides down the road to breed the dog anyway, the offspring can't be registered. You could get a great GSD from a BYB, but it won't be registered. And you'll know that, like others have already mentioned, you're not supporting a "reputable breeder" but just someone who wanted to breed their dog despite the fact that the original breeder didn't intend for that dog to be bred. That's my understanding of it anyway.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you are interested in competing in AKC events like obedience, rally, or agility, you can get an AKC PAL number to compete. If you want to compete in confirmation, you have to have papers from the breeder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts