German Shepherds Forum banner

Where does your dog fit in on this poll?

• My dog has no health or temperment issues

Votes: 41 47.1%
  • My dog has health problems (allergies, HD etc.)

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • My dog has temperment issues (reactive, aggressive, nervous etc.)

Votes: 33 37.9%
  • I am not sure if my dog has any issues

Votes: 7 8.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been here for quite awhile now and as time goes on it seems as though most here have dogs with issues. I am looking to see just how many people here have a GSD with no health and/or temperament issues.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
Actually, most don't have issues. What you have to realize is that you're just going to see more questions/threads about dogs with issues than you are about dogs without issues. Like...there's just no reason for me to post questions about my dog since I don't have any issues with him to ask a question about.

So, in summary, my dog is perfectly healthy with no temperament issues. Hips/elbows tested and good, also GSDCA temperament tested, and working on obedience titles.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Echo has both health and temperament issues (allergies and weak nerves).

I think that online forums may always be skewed towards more people having dogs with issues, as people come on specifically seeking advice, rather than those with no issues coming on just to share stories, etc.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping that there are lots here with perfectly healthy GSD's and that they come here to read and do not post as often. I myself have had two GSD's, Floyd RIP had multiple problems and now Gus who has no issues of any kind. They couldn't be more opposite.
As a family we were always stressed somewhat with Floyd mostly worry. He didn't eat well, had EPI, allergies, Dog Aggressive, weak nerves so he did not recover from negative experiences, I could go on and on. He was a big responsibility from waking up to going to bed each night.
Gus however has been so very easy. LOVES his food, no allergies, no health issues to date, no temperament issues, doesn't react to negative situations at all. Stress free and what a difference and impact that has on our family.

I am curious to see what the results show.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
No health issues, in a few months he'll be going for his official OFA's, otherwise healthy as a horse and never had a sick day in his life.

Temperament: rock solid in all aspects (crowds, fireworks, gun, elderly, children, never shied at anything so far). Biddable even when in drive and will cap when needed and loves to learn. He does have a lower threshold when it comes to dogs however, he will bark at most if they're within a 5' radius but responds easily to redirection and a correction if needed and will settle. Knowing the breed standard now I don't think he's completely out of the ordinary in that way but my goal is 100% neutral all the time. It's a work in progress ;)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Every once in a while we have icky poop, I'm guessing due to digesting something that shouldn't be digested of at least that is my conclusion. Robyn gets eye boogers every now and then, which I would think is environmental allergies. I don't consider either health issues and both dogs have great temperaments and solid nerves.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Lucky- he has really weak hocks ,and not the best hips but he is almost 12 we think and he's healthy and pretty mobile . He has some fear issues however he is pretty manageable. Daisy lousy nerves but lived to be just shy of her 13th birthhday. She was happiest with her family in her yard and her couch wth an occasional romp in the local park's pond. Neither have or had allergies. Chevy, healthy little girl, great w/ humans but has some allergies . Appears to have nerves of steel however is dog aggressive with unknown dogs. She bite the dog statue at the vets. Thunder great to the point of almost being too friendly with humans. A saint with toddlers. I have never had a dog with serious health issues or rather chronic ones so I cant really say what that would be like . I have to say though Thunder and Chevy's reaction to humans is a blessing. Lucky is much calmer w/ them around in his reaction to folks coming in and out of our house. I didnt vote yet but will say temperment issues with all three. Dog Reactivirty w/ all three and minor health with all three.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I'm probably going to vote the first one, however, a question:)

When you say no health issues, are you referring to a health issue that is on going? Such as allergies, IBD, Sibo, bad hips, that type of thing..

Reason I ask,,my dogs have gotten 'sick' at times, such as Masi had some mystery illness in the spring and almost died, but I wouldn't say it is something that is ongoing.She's always been otherwise "healthy"..I'm assuming you mean an "ongoing" health issue..(maybe I answered my own question LOL)..

Temperament, I'd say Masi has pretty normal temperament for a gsd..She's no social butterfly that's for sure, but I think, in my opinion her temperament is what a gsd should be.. OK, I'm voting number one:))

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Niko, although very healthy, does have some temperament issues. He is very sharp, a bit underconfident, and can be reactive. He is also dog fear aggressive, mostly due to bad puppyhood experiences.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I didn't vote in the poll, but out of my three dogs, only one has allergies and her temperament is not the greatest, but with maturity she's ok...I just can't have her around young children because I haven't been able to train out the reactivity to them. Who wants to subject their child to a reactive GSD?
None of my dogs have sensitive guts or digestive issues at all. And none have HD. One has a bad dentition, should have been corrected when she was young(if I had her as a pup, I would have gotten her braces!)

·
Registered
478 Posts
I am so lucky. Other than terrible behavior with recall if she gets out, my guy is perfectly healthy and has a great temperament.Of course he is young and who knows what might show in the future?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Quax will be 6 months on November 3rd so no temperament issues that we are aware of.... our first WL puppy so not sure what to look for at this age. Only real behavior problems are when we are unable to give him enough exercise, which we recognize and do not label as a problem or his fault. He is having a skin/allergy issue we have been trying to identify by eliminating items in his diet....not seeing improvement so made an appointment with a dermatologist for next week. Sure hope it helps....I read so many threads that say many results are inconclusive. I also suspect some bahavior / puppy tantrums could be due to he is itchy and miserable at times. :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm probably going to vote the first one, however, a question:)

When you say no health issues, are you referring to a health issue that is on going? Such as allergies, IBD, Sibo, bad hips, that type of thing..

Reason I ask,,my dogs have gotten 'sick' at times, such as Masi had some mystery illness in the spring and almost died, but I wouldn't say it is something that is ongoing.She's always been otherwise "healthy"..I'm assuming you mean an "ongoing" health issue..(maybe I answered my own question LOL)..

Temperament, I'd say Masi has pretty normal temperament for a gsd..She's no social butterfly that's for sure, but I think, in my opinion her temperament is what a gsd should be.. OK, I'm voting number one:))
Yep I was thinking same as you, ongoing issues that really shouldn't be there in any dog...not just GSD's.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Although I haven't been able to afford the testing we are fairly confident that our girl is allergic to chicken and I suspect all poultry/fowl.
We got her at 7 weeks. She's only seven months now so we don't know about her hips/elbows yet. We did notice after we got her home that she had a funny spot (quarter sized)where her fur wasn't the same as the rest or her fur. She still has it and it has grown with her. The skin in her left armpit is different...it looks like scar tissue. And, on the left near her armpit she has a defect in her ribs. All birth defects we assume. But none seems to affect her overall health that we now of.

Temperament: I think she has weak nerves. She can act fear aggressive toward some dogs but if allowed to meet them she is all fine and puppy plays. Sometimes she is super submissive with dogs. Again, she isn't mature yet so who knows what she will turn out like. Training and management 24/7.
I feel she could have better temperament but at the same time I know it could be a whole lot worse. I love her with all her imperfections.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Jaxx has no health OR temperament issues. I mean, if you count barking at dogs when they are outside of our fence that are "playing" with him by running along the other side back and forth with him then he does. I haven't actually seen that many dogs here with health/temperament issues, well at least compared to how many don't :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My dog and i are working on many behavioral and medical conditions!

Behavioral:

1.) Cat drive and cannot calm down- she scrambles and whines and scratches to get to them.
2.) Separation Anxiety (seems to be getting better than when i first got her though) :)
3.) Fear Aggression to strangers- still working on this one, its very hard to find the right people who want to do it and also for people who can do it, because i ask people not to look straight into her eyes and they do it anyways, etc. So there is however, some improvement! :) But there are set backs, like going to the vets,etc.

And i know im forgetting some other behavioral problem, i think its time for bed.. haha

Medical:
1.) At first, Diarrhea most of the time (is all good now)
2.) She has something wrong.. HD, pano, or something (going to be getting x-rays soon to find out whats going on- as she cant run at this point.
3.) Usually a new thing at least once a month is found i feel like! Always something with this girl..

*sigh* I need a vacation.. Anyone want to trade dogs for a day? :) haha jk I still love her and would miss her immediately after she left!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Roxy has no health issues that I am aware of. Vet says she appears perfectly healthy for a 9 month old german shepherd.

as far as behavioral? -- all sounds like we are right on track for what normal german shepherd puppies behave like. Sometimes she is brilliant and other times her brain goes to mush. But she's perfect to me and that's what matters. :)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Woolf is healthy. Xrays done a few weeks ago showed good hips, no sign of HD. No allergies unless you consider fish based food makes us open the windows an allergy. Only time we see any limping is when he rounds a corner to fast and smacks his paw, then we see the sad eyes and paw held up, hold some ice to it for a few minutes and he is ready to go again. Nah, he isn't spoiled lol

Temperament - Woolf is my troubled child. Genetic probably, definitely early environmental. FA - DA and can be HA, huge improvement on that. With some maturity at 3 yrs, he has developed some coping skills that doesn't include the cujo dog he was. He is a work in progress.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Both of my girls have "Issues". One is reactive to thunder/lightning and the other is very slow to transition. Neither would have been good PTSD dogs, but make excellent pets.

Wheelchair Bob

1 - 20 of 43 Posts