German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Wow! That's really cool! I had no idea, I just thought it was for fun, I know GSD herd by circling, like an invisible fence, can they do the things that border collies do? Like moving the sheep through openings? I know nothing about this stuff

My friend has her GSD competing in open border collie trials. Not that every GSD will go that far, but it is certainly possible to do border collie type AKC and AHBA events and do well at them!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just went to the website for the person who gives lessons here, she is an AKC judge and AHBA herding trial judge, sent her an email to see if I can have Anna tested, sounds really cool! I'll keep you guys posted

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Did an instinct test for my dog just this past wed. Like you I wasn't sure what he would do, especially after the way he pulled and cried to get to the sheep when he saw them at the fence. I was nervous. The facility had us sign a waiver and noted we were responsible to pay for any hurt sheep.
Once inside the ring the first few seconds he ignored the sheep and tried to eat the sheep droppings! Which the tester said was normal lol. The tester took the long line and brought him close to the sheep, which started to move away from him. When he realized he could chase the sheep he got really excited a little too excited. The tester used a stick with a milk jug attached to it and pointed it at him, which he ignored and tried to run around, duck under and jump over it to chase the sheep. He got the hang of it really fast that he was to stay on the outside and not keep the sheep up against the fence. He did try to nip them in the butt a few times but didn't bark at all. The tester/trainer brought him back in, off leash, after doing some more tests for a free lesson and went over his herding style and how he would do some tending lessons with him. He didnt want to stop herding and the trainer had to tell him thats enough, twice before he came to the gate to be leashed. The tester trainer, which is also a judge said he did excellent for the first time ever seeing sheep. I'm so glad I tried it even though I was nervous. We are starting weekly lessons friday.
Please let us know how ur experience goes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did an instinct test for my dog just this past wed. Like you I wasn't sure what he would do, especially after the way he pulled and cried to get to the sheep when he saw them at the fence. I was nervous. The facility had us sign a waiver and noted we were responsible to pay for any hurt sheep.

Once inside the ring the first few seconds he ignored the sheep and tried to eat the sheep droppings! Which the tester said was normal lol. The tester took the long line and brought him close to the sheep, which started to move away from him. When he realized he could chase the sheep he got really excited a little too excited. The tester used a stick with a milk jug attached to it and pointed it at him, which he ignored and tried to run around, duck under and jump over it to chase the sheep. He got the hang of it really fast that he was to stay on the outside and not keep the sheep up against the fence. He did try to nip them in the butt a few times but didn't bark at all. The tester/trainer brought him back in, off leash, after doing some more tests for a free lesson and went over his herding style and how he would do some tending lessons with him. He didnt want to stop herding and the trainer had to tell him thats enough, twice before he came to the gate to be leashed. The tester trainer, which is also a judge said he did excellent for the first time ever seeing sheep. I'm so glad I tried it even though I was nervous. We are starting weekly lessons friday.

Please let us know how ur experience goes.

That sounds so cool! I'm scared, hahah they sent me the schedule and the waiver to sign about injured sheep :/

They don't have any open slots until September, hahah I'm scared even thinking about it and it's so far away, she better not hurt any sheep >:[

·
Super Moderator
5,637 Posts
I think you'll be fine. Sage grabbed the one sheep by the butt, but didn't hurt it. Just got a mouthful of wool. She's all about chasing, but managed to pull her brain together to listen.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts