German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***This is a thread for those who have decided to wait, not for those who want to do it at 6 months, or think it should be done at 6 months.

It has been established on this board that most members feel it is a good idea to neuter a male dog after maturity.

If you are going to do it, what is the ideal age?

Two?

Three?

Will waiting until he is three make any difference, and if so, what is that?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If someone us going to wait, then you might as well wait until the dog has "evened out" and is displaying their true temperament and personality let alone size and physical features. Just like humans...that could come early or late depending on the dog.

Anything past 3 would be ideal. I know Finn had a personality change and a body size/shape change after 2 and even changed a bit more after 3.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
I'm not sure of the ideal age, but I do know that my intact male has developed much more structurally between the ages of two and three years. and is changing even more so now between 3 and 4 years.

Aprox 15 months

1v2 years by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

2 years

2v3 years by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

3 years

3 years by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Almost 4

4/24/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard it affects emotional development, as well.
That neutering before maturity results in a dog who is in a state of perpetual adolescence, mentally.

Gatordog, those pics are very illustrative, thank you.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Physical characteristics are not my only concern.
(Paraphrasing from the study of Golden Retrievers at the University of California, Davis.)

Joint disorders and cancers are of particular interest because neutering removes the testes, interrupting production of certain hormones that play key roles in important body processes such as closure of bone growth plates.

The study revealed that, for hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament tear, lymphosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma and mast cell tumor, the disease rates were significantly higher in males that were neutered either before the age of 1 or after the age of 1 compared with intact (non-neutered) dogs.

Specifically, neutering before 1 was associated with an increase in the occurrence of hip dysplasia, cranial cruciate ligament tear and lymphosarcoma in males and of cranial cruciate ligament tear in females. Late neutering was associated with the subsequent occurrence of mast cell tumors and hemangiosarcoma in females.

In most areas, the findings of this study were consistent with earlier studies, suggesting similar increases in disease risks. The new study, however, was the first to specifically report an increased risk of late neutering for mast cell tumors and hemangiosarcoma.

The study showed a 100 percent increase, or doubling, of the incidence of hip dysplasia among males neutered before 1.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
What is your reason for wanting to neuter your dog? I believe it is largely a marketing ploy for vets and a way for irresponsible dog owners to prevent unwanted pregnancies. It doesn't make dense to remove a healthy organ. The only exception I can think of is in humans in which women have had genetic testing and determined they carry the genes for a particular type of breast cancer.
The only other thing neutering might help is if your dog is marking with urine in the house. It's kind of like pulling all your teeth because you might get a cavity.
Studies do not prove causality and are often biased and methodologically flawed.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is your reason for wanting to neuter your dog?.
He is having prostate problems. He is only 1 1/2.

Vet says neutering is the best solution, and so does the breeder.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I have heard of some studies where castration increased a dog's risk of prostate cancer by a factor of four. I think it is hard to find a good vet. Are there any universities with veterinary programs near you. Why not just treat the prostate?

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard of some studies where castration increased a dog's risk of prostate cancer by a factor of four. I think it is hard to find a good vet. Are there any universities with veterinary programs near you. Why not just treat the prostate?
We are.
http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...e-enlargement-anyone-use-proscar-success.html

I started this thread to find out about late neutering. Just in case treatment doesn't work. I am concerned because he has started to have problems so early, and prostate problems can lead to some very bad things. It is a very difficult are a to treat, as antibiotics can't get in there very well.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I am becoming more and more opposed to castration and wish there was more discussion on K9 vesectomy.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I'm not sure of the ideal age, but I do know that my intact male has developed much more structurally between the ages of two and three years. and is changing even more so now between 3 and 4 years.

Aprox 15 months

1v2 years by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

2 years

2v3 years by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

3 years

3 years by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Almost 4

4/24/13 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr
I think the difference in body debth between ages two and three is significant in these photos. How much is related to lack of castration, I cannot say.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am becoming more and more opposed to castration and wish there was more discussion on K9 vesectomy.
And yet, breeder says to neuter.

Prostate problems do develop in intact older dogs, as they do in humans.

So, what is the solution?
I was going to do it at three, because everyone in the know (breeders, people who have had extensive GSD experience, vet, who was pro waiting) said to do it then.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
345 Posts
My two cents.
Our boy is just over six months now. We are going to put of neutering as long as possible. Our next goal is eighteen months. If he continues to be well behave, and is healthy at this age, out goal will be three years. We will test everything again at this age.
It is amazing hour everybody is geared toward this six month neutering age. Until you actually start researching the pro/cons.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts