German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that winter is here I was wondering what the coldest temperature you have ever experience?

Last December I was in Thompson Manitoba working and the temperature hit -68 degrees Celsius(-90.4 Fahrenheit). I never want to experience that again the sun would rise at 9:30am and set at 4:00pm it was pretty depressing. Here at home we usually get a week or two in the -40 C (-40F) but majority of the winter is -20C (-4F)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well i definitely cant say i've experience that kind of cold! the coldest i remember was -15 F when my parents and i lived in Michigan. i imagine it got colder but thats the only one i remember. i was sick most of the time we were there.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
We get -20F here in Michigan with wind chill. Our club trains outside year-round, but cancels training at 15F.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
It got to minus 20 F once when I was a kid, but I probably stayed inside that day! The coldest temperature that I ever spent a long time out in was minus 4 F in Syracuse NY one winter, I rode my bike to work 7 miles. I was pretty frozen by the time I got to work.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
Coldest is -40 degrees (the numbers coincide at -40 on both the Celsius and Farenheit scales). Here, it is business as usual: Schools and businesses are open, people are out and about. Though schools have indoor recess breaks in this cold. I work indoors, so not as bad for me as for some people that work outdoors.

The cold does not bother me that much. I go hiking and cross-country skiing on the trails around my house in the -20 to -30 Celsius range regularly - it does not bother the dogs either. Colder than -30 I keep the outdoor play/potty breaks down to about 10-15 minutes because the dogs' paws get cold. They do that funny dance where they try to pick up all their feet at the same time. :)

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
-30 Here in Boston at one point. Not actual temperature though. It was with the wind chill.

·
Registered
604 Posts
-15F at Ft. Wainwright, Alaska. Which seemed pretty cold at the time, but that -90.4F puts that to shame.

I have found that as I get older, I prefer cold weather more than hot weather. This is strange because I grew up in Lakewood, California, where a temperature of 65F sent us reaching for the parkas. :D

Is anyone else here the same?

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
I remember a miserable week when I worked at a race horse farm. The high temps were 1 to 3 degrees F. The night time temps were -15 to -20. I have worked outside most of my life, in one capacity or another, and that was the worst week I have ever spent. I had a mare decide to foal on a day when it was 0 out with a wind chill of -25. We were in a barn, but it was still pretty awful.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think it was about -20F with the windchill (without I think it was like -4 or something). Luckily in Syr we get the most snow of any other city, but as a whole our temperature aren't nearly as extreme as, say, some of the Great Lakes.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think -53C with the windchill is the coldest I've ever felt. -68C... Ugghh... That would be horrible, especially with any sort of wind. I remember my nostrils trying to freeze shut when it was only -55C.
:cold:lol one of the guys I was working with had a black beard within an hour it was totally white and frosty

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Here in MD it gets down to the single digits with lower wind chills...that's the coldest i've experienced.
OMG i cant WAIT til we are in maryland!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
-27F here in Chicago back in late 70's or early 80's. Anyone that lives north of me needs their head examined. I'm 51, work outside now and i can stand the heat much better than the cold. I hate it when it gets below 20F now, which it has been the last few days, i can't wait till i can move south!

·
Super Moderator
32,430 Posts
10F on a ski trip to Jackson Hole years ago. Our winters are very mild, we only get occasional dips into the high 20s at night. Thursday night it got down to 34 degrees, but our average November low is 45F.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
-27F here in Chicago back in late 70's or early 80's. Anyone that lives north of me needs their head examined. I'm 51, work outside now and i can stand the heat much better than the cold. I hate it when it gets below 20F now, which it has been the last few days, i can't wait till i can move south!

That might be what I remember. I went x-country skiing one day when they said it was -80F with the wind chill. There were some really cold Chicago winters when I was young. I went to the Art Museum on super bowl sunday one year and remember it was -15F, and that wasn't an unusual day.

I remember in the lower 48 states that International Falls, Minnesota, always had the coldest temperatures. Glad I live further south these days.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I usually don't count the windchill - it is not a "real" temperature, just a sensation of cold, which can vary from person to person.

·
Registered
32,042 Posts
I think -25 F before the wind chill factor a few years ago. It was record breaking cold. Usually we have a few days that gets below zero with a windchill but nothing like that winter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts