German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Thanks...you seem to understand.

What you suggested is what I've been doing. Not only that but putting her full food bowl on top of her crate to keep it out of reach and build her appetite. I've seen her look up at it when she is hungry but I don't budge from her feeding times.
This is your first GSD, yes?

They can be picky eaters unfortunately, it's best to just stay the course and let 'em learn "eat or starve are your choices". I've gone down the "Shepherd Chef" route after my wife spoiled her rotten (okay I'll admit I may have been slightly involved LOL), and I finally threw up my hands and went back to the basics. I also made her work for her entire meals for a couple days, like laid a scent track with her dinner. That helped a lot.

Trust me it gets way easier not to care, faster than you think. They're not political prisoners on a hunger strike, they'll eat eventually.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Plus one on adding a little canned food. We had a working line, large and active female. She would eat twice a day, and started out pretty readily eating dry kibble. She really liked Royal Canin GSD. Around age 6-7, we added a little canned food. I forget the reason. She never really went on eating strike or outright rejected the kibble. Maybe we were giving her a pill, though she didn't take a lot of meds for most of her life. Whatever the reason,she quickly got pretty spoiled with that. She'd look at you as if to say, you haven't finished it yet, until you spread a spoonful or two of canned over the kibble. But with that spoonful or two mixed in, she'd wolf the kibble right down.

And unlike a Newfoundland and a Golden we had earlier, this shepherd would not steal food off the countertops, or really get into anything she wasn't supposed to have, despite having the run of the house. So she also spoiled us, you could say. We reduced the kibble ration a little to offset the canned. She never got anything close to fat and was always very active.

Current four month old pup gets Fromms Gold, with some fresh meat mixed in occasionally. She will eat the kibble moistened without the meat.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts