German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got a 8 week old puppy, we want to start her off right with the right kind of food. We have read so many different things online we are not sure what to believe anymore. So can anyone point us in the right direction. We are already feeding her 4 times a day small meals.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they were feeding her adult dog food, wet at least thats what they gave us when we got her... we switched to prunia pro plan for puppys grain free (wet) but we have read that due to certain common hip issues you should look for food that has things in them for joints etc. I guess we are looking for the best grain free dog food as we want to be sure she gets what she needs early etc. We read that we could give her dry food instead of wet food as well. So i guess we are looking for advice. Sorry I am all over the place with my response.

·
Super Moderator
6,968 Posts
Unless I were considering a raw diet (which I feed to my adult)... I wouldn’t bother with canned foods. I’ve never found it to be economical and it often has just as many additives and preservatives as dry. Dry kibble formulated for large breed puppies generally have everything you’re looking for as far as controlled growth and joint care... the are many other things that are just as critical if not more in protecting their joints (genetics, exercise, spay/neuter decisions, etc).

Grain free diets are controversial at the moment (due to DCM concerns), for some they always have been.

That said, for grain free I like Acana, for grain inclusive I like Fromm gold.... ultimately the best food is going to depend on your individual dog and your budget.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unless I were considering a raw diet (which I feed to my adult)... I wouldn’t bother with canned foods. I’ve never found it to be economical and it often has just as many additives and preservatives as dry. Dry kibble formulated for large breed puppies generally have everything you’re looking for as far as controlled growth and joint care... the are many other things that are just as critical if not more in protecting their joints (genetics, exercise, spay/neuter decisions, etc).

Grain free diets are controversial at the moment (due to DCM concerns), for some they always have been.

That said, for grain free I like Acana, for grain inclusive I like Fromm gold.... ultimately the best food is going to depend on your individual dog and your budget.
Thank you for that info

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like the saying "feed the dog that's in front of you" ie there's no standard answer but understand how many kcal a puppy needs at each stage and look for that on your puppy food. Feeding 3X per day up until 6 months is optimal imo

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
We tried Fromm's with Agis, at first it seemed to go well, but by around 5.5 months we were past that honeymoon, and after wringing out hands over his pickyness - he would never finish his food! - while we were away and ran out of food (oops), we went into the local town. Their pet store didn't have Fromm so we picked up Acana (which we fed before the DCM thing) and Agis went CRAZY for it!

With that said, our other two are on Fromm's and doing well.

We do supplement taurine for Agis (picked up powder from the local pet store) as the lack of taurine seems to have been implicated in dog foods potentially causing DCM. Agis is still loving Acana about 4 months later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts