German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We use the furminator about once every 2 weeks but we are looking for something to use everyday.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
I use the furminator 2-3 times a week

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Originally Posted By: AllisonSI use the furminator constantly.
Do you have any problems by using it constantly. I've been afraid of hurting the coat since the directions only say use once a week? I love that thing and it's the only thing that really gets the shedded undercoat out and quickly. (Phoenix is not patient enough for me to brush him for longer than 5 minutes)

Usually I only use the fuminator once a week as per directions. The rest of the week I use either a pin brush or a slicker brush.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I wouldnt use a furminator daily, I wouldn't use it more than once a week. For daily use something like a slicker brush, boar bristle brush, or pin is better. Once you get a regular grooming routine going you don't pull out that much hair on a daily basis and much of the grooming is to bring the oils on the skin through the coat.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I was worried about damaging the coat on Link also since he is only 10 months old. Lin, is the boar bristle brush something you get at the pet store? I know he acts like the slicker brush is irritating him.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Lin. My daughter uses one on her hair.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Originally Posted By: Link's Mom I know he acts like the slicker brush is irritating him.
Phoenix acts the same way and I found that pressing too hard with the slicker brush can be irritating for him. If I do it lightly, but still with enough pressure to get the undercoat, he's better with it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Lin, I know it's not my thread, but thanks for that link. I'm willing to give that thing a try. I like the slicker brush to get the undercoat between furminator sessions.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have a T-pin brush from Chris Christensen. I love it. It's a little pricier than the cheap ones you get a Petco, etc, but the quality is great. It's a pin brush w/round tips, and it glides really well through the coat. I pretty much stopped using our regular pin brush, as it's harsher on the coat and skin both. This one is great. (Unfortunately Kodee got a hold of it and chewed the wood handle. I still use it, though!) Kodee is coated, so it works great on long-hairs, too.

Well worth the $24 or so. I have a boar bristle brush, but the bristles are so close together it just glides over the top of the coat - doesn't seem to do much good. JMO.

Here's a link to some Chris C. stuff:

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/c...istensen_TBrush

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The boar bristle brush I use is a human one, it has 2 lengths of bristles so I've found it works really well. I have a slicker, pin brush, greyhound comb, and furminator too. The only one I don't really use is the pin brush! Oh, I also have a zoom groom but I usually only use that for baths,

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I just found this cool rubber mitt thing that I've been using on both D and our LH kitty. Larger rubber nubbies on 1 side and smaller,tighter nubs on the other. Both animals LOVE it! D will lean into me as long as I will keep brushing him and Mr. Bojangles stretches out and each side so I can get to his belly. He sounds like a little motor boat, he's purring so hard
I really like it because it gets the oils to the surface and all the hair stays in the nubbies so we can relax on the couch and brush the animals at the same time. When you go to "empty" the mitt, all the hair comes off in a sheet.

This is similar to what I have at home, except you just slip your hand into mine. No extra thumb bit.

I also use a shedding blade when it's coat blowing time.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Originally Posted By: LuvsDieterI just found this cool rubber mitt thing that I've been using on both D and our LH kitty. Larger rubber nubbies on 1 side and smaller,tighter nubs on the other. Both animals LOVE it! D will lean into me as long as I will keep brushing him and Mr. Bojangles stretches out and each side so I can get to his belly. He sounds like a little motor boat, he's purring so hard
I really like it because it gets the oils to the surface and all the hair stays in the nubbies so we can relax on the couch and brush the animals at the same time. When you go to "empty" the mitt, all the hair comes off in a sheet.

This is similar to what I have at home, except you just slip your hand into mine. No extra thumb bit.

Is this what you meant?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lin
Originally Posted By: LuvsDieterI just found this cool rubber mitt thing that I've been using on both D and our LH kitty. Larger rubber nubbies on 1 side and smaller,tighter nubs on the other. Both animals LOVE it! D will lean into me as long as I will keep brushing him and Mr. Bojangles stretches out and each side so I can get to his belly. He sounds like a little motor boat, he's purring so hard

Is this what you meant?
That's exactly it!! I found mine at Big Lots

1 - 20 of 20 Posts