German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that puppies should not be taken away from their mother and siblings prior to 8 weeks as crucial lessons are taught from the mother from the 7 to 8th week period. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to taking the puppies away from the mother at a later age such as 10 or 12 weeks?? Will the puppy have learned more lessons in that additional time period?? Or would it be detrimental to the "Bonding" process with a new family leaving the puppy longer than 8 weeks with its mother?? Thanks! Rob R

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
*IF* the mother is an awesome dog mom, meaning she was an exceptional doggie rule teacher, staying a couple extra weeks would not hurt as far as bonding with their humans. Look at the successful rescue dogs have bonded even as adults. If I knew I would not have a chance for proper and GOOD puppy socialization I think leaving the pup with Mom and some siblings would not be a bad thing. I happen to have a dog that IS awesome at teaching puppies to be good well rounded dogs. He has had a paw in raising every dog in my Paq except Lakota. I credit him for raising my pups and young adults to be all that they have become. (Love ya Chimo
)

If the mom is a nervous, reactive or aggressive mom than I would not leave the pup any extra time. (Actually I would not get a pup from a mom like that but that is me).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts