German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so everyone knows Elle!?!? She is 2 years old, although in the pic, she was slightly younger. She was adopted from a high kill shelter at 8-10 weeks old, aparently she was a part of a litter that was not wanted....ANYHOW....The people at the h/s said she was GSD, dobbie, chow mix.......But tonight as I was watching animal planet, I realized she looks more of a mix with a Rottie, look at that snout, her chest.....Not that it matters, because she is loved no matter what, but I'm curious...What do you think? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
With the ears and shape of the head, I would have guessed there is some Shar Pei in there.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
Looks like a GSD Rottie mix I knew except the color is wrong (too light). Why did the shelter assign that mix to her? Sometimes they actually KNOW what the mix is - like Mom was a GSD, Dad was a Chow-Dobbie mix...

·
Registered
681 Posts
The head says beagle to me.

She does -save the coloring- closely resemble a mix I had. He was Lab/GSD/Chow. He was one solid color, the same as your girl has on the top of her head. He had the same tail curl too.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhereLooks like a GSD Rottie mix I knew except the color is wrong (too light). Why did the shelter assign that mix to her? Sometimes they actually KNOW what the mix is - like Mom was a GSD, Dad was a Chow-Dobbie mix...
I just don't think they knew. Probably more than likely the pups were dropped of after hours, but IDK. When we first got her, she was almost all black except the face, which was a dark brown that got lighter, she really does not look like the same dog. All I know is that she's healthy (except a little on the heavy side, we're working on that). She LOVES everyone and almost everything, and very smart.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
With the ears and shape of the head, I would have guessed there is some Shar Pei in there.

That was my first thought too. Shar-pei/ Beagle,- although from the pic she looks to big for beagle
. The head-including the tongue color and tail set is very shar-pei'ish though.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
She a purebred 'Somer' dog... a unique 'somer this and somer that. And a sweet looking one too.

·
Registered
9,147 Posts
Originally Posted By: ReichsmomThe head says beagle to me.
Ditto, I see beagle in there too.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Hm, and hopefully you don't take this wrong...... I'm hoping she's lost alot of weight since you last took the photo. It's hard to judge breed with the extra weight filling her out so much.

How tall is she? How much does she weigh?

I'd say a Lab/GSD mix.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally Posted By: Sean Rescue Mom
Originally Posted By: ReichsmomThe head says beagle to me.
Ditto, I see beagle in there too.
I kind of think he bark sounds like a beagle/GSD...When she goes into a full all out bark, there is a howl mixed in there.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeHm, and hopefully you don't take this wrong...... I'm hoping she's lost alot of weight since you last took the photo. It's hard to judge breed with the extra weight filling her out so much.

How tall is she? How much does she weigh?

I'd say a Lab/GSD mix.
I'm not taking it the wrong way...I do know she is (How can I say this nicely?) well, fat...I'm not sure how tall she is, but she does weigh 95lbs, so she has gained weight since that photo, she is on a diet, and has lost a big 3 lbs in the last month. Her vet has taken all her treats away, she gets no table scraps, and she must be walked/ran every day (she hates it, and lets you know, she complains the entire walk). I'm not sure what more to do for her, I can't just stop feeding her, I hate seeing her overweight, and some of it's my fault, but she was also a very fat pup when we got her. I'm not trying to justify it, I really am not.

Her most recent photo......(I love the way she sits)

·
Registered
964 Posts
I am trying to get a few extra pounds off my boxer. I know how difficult it is. My husband sabotages my efforts by giving her treats. He is in denial regarding her weight.

I try to explain that TRUE love is doing what is best for the dog. Ava weights 78 pound and would be best at 70. Even slightly thin because she has bad knees.

Good luck with the weight. It will lengthen her lifespan.

Whatever her mix, she is adorable. Such a happy face.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
you're taking to good of care of her (spoiling her with all of that good food and treat). lighten up on her meals some. as far as what kind of dog she is, she's a cute one and their right up there with the pure bred, working, show, import, East, West, Schutzhund III, tracking dog, guide dog, herding dog, detection dog, guard dog, companion dog, agility dog, obedience dog, lots of type dog, UKC, AKC, I CAN C, Westminster, Crufts, and all of those letters you see after and before a dogs name dog. my imported fancy schmancy shepherd sits like your dog so she probably has alot of imported fancy schmancy type in her also.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
besides her 'weight' she is very healthy, thanks for all the replies...I wish you all could see how fast she can run even though she's pudgy. Her tail wagging OMG, it's SO funny, instead of going from side to side, it goes around and around and so fast that it makes her body wiggle, that's why we call her ELLO JELLO, because she reminds me of a big bowl of jello when she goes into her tail twirls.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaedchenWith the ears and shape of the head, I would have guessed there is some Shar Pei in there.

That was my first thought too. Shar-pei/ Beagle,- although from the pic she looks to big for beagle
. The head-including the tongue color and tail set is very shar-pei'ish though.
I'd say chow more than shar pei.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well her appetite and activity level would suggest beagle.
My beagle is 25 lbs but gets the recommended amount for a 20 lb dog and that's with no treats allowed. That's just to maintain her weight!

I do see Shar pei and maybe dobie, maybe GSD, maybe husky...Lots of maybes.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Oh I should add, to stretch her meals out maybe put them in a puzzle type of toy. I put Mollie's in a purple saucer shaped thing and she has to knock the toy around to get food out.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I also see beagle, but maybe because of the color to me-I am not sure.

Jennifer-post in the food or health section for some really good tips on weight loss. People will swoop in with some easy ideas you can use. Post the pictures, too. I think she might lose that cute sit after weight loss-my guess is she is compensating/trying to keep some pressure off her joints that way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts