German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She is 11 months old and has been doing this since she was a puppy. At the dog park she "hunts" for other dogs and whenever she gets close to them she starts playing with them. On our walks she does this when she sees cats, well up until today I thought it was just her showing her prey drive... Today on our walk there were two teenage girls walking toward us and my dog started walking like this with a determined look on her face (like in the video) in a blink of an eye she jumped at them got really close, didnt' bite or growl I don't even know if she was agressive, should I be worried about this and how do I correect it? As soon as I saw her being in prey mode I kind of shook the leash to get her attention off the girls, and I called her name, but next thing I knew she was already near them. The girls didn't get scared or anyting and then she was acting like nothing happend... What is this about?

She doesn't show any other signs of aggression. But she has been very excited about everything ever since spring...

german shepherd trying to hunt another dog - YouTube

·
Registered
542 Posts
No big deal. It's play prey drive. The only thing that could go wrong is that some dogs, especially non-herding breeds, may not know it is play and misinterpret it. Humans typically know it's play unless they panic, and ends up in a chase. Even if it does if your dog is not human aggressive, she'll just end up playing with them unless it's a little kid who could get knocked down. My female does this and I've never corrected her for it. She has excellent recall anyway so I stop it only if the other dog gets nervous or it's a toddler.

·
Registered
10,361 Posts
I would not let her do it and as soon as she goes into hunting mode call her back to you after "Leave It". Then have her sit next to you and ask the other owner if it is OK for your dog to play with hers/his/. That way it is on your terms.
Most people don't understand this behavior, especially with little dogs. I would be worried too if I saw a dog like that approach my pet dog.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My boy does it with our friend's ibiza hound (looks like smaller greyhound) It's chase start for them. I do not let him to do it to dogs he doesn't know or on leache. If he starts "the hunt" I pop his collar and made him focus on me. It works for me, when he was younger I had to repeat it more often.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I will say it's one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Looks like what my cat does, LOL.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Most of my dogs have done that, stalk just like a cat getting ready to pounce on it's prey. In my case it's always been a play move. I actually will crouch down and stalk my dog then the get all goofy and run around. Lakota does it to Kiya when she's trying to get her to play
I'm sure for an agressive dog or in a different scenerio it might be different, you should be able to tell If your dog is playing or not.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just very surprised that she was doing that to people while we are walking and she is on a leash. So why do you guys think she did that? If she is not gonna actually kill her victim and eat them why do it?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I don't know why, but I will say if I was walking my dog and saw her do that to one of my dogs or myself, I would get upset. It's stalking. And not knowing your dog it would make me very nervous.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Masi does this alot with my other dogs, stalk, then charge up to them to engage in play..However, she does not do this to people, that I would put a stop to.

I agree other dogs may interpret her actions negatively and go into defense mode, so I'd also be telling her to 'leave it', call back, snap her out of it :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honestly thats something that I would stop. It could either lead her to get herself into trouble or lead her to hurt someone/thing. Its stalking behavior and like already stated it could be taken by another dog the wrong way very quickly. She may not mean any harm at all but its only going to take one dog to be offended and then its a fight and after the one fight who knows how it will change things. Just not something that I would want to risk. As for her doing to it people Id say thats a major NO for the simple fact that its a prey driven behavior and not something that should be targeted on people what so ever play or not.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Mine do it too. With other dogs it's okay. With Humans, I would not let her do it.

You can see Nala doing it here. She's laying down/stalking/hunting mode on Indra.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My dog does it to my other dog. Its more of a form of play to him. It never is aggressive on either end.

·
Banned
367 Posts
haha i laughed when i saw the video. i thought it was cute. but yeah i wouldnt allow it to people/dogs she doesnt know just because it could be taken the wrong way

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's harmless unless she is stalking cats or small dogs and animals. Mostly instinct. You see it to the extreme in border collies. It's intimidating to other animals and looks like a hunting stalk. Collies use it to control and move livestock and it is very effective with prey animals who have an inherited memory of being hunted.

In your video, she uses it as part of her play routine at the dog park maybe in her mind she sees herself as a wolf. If she was at home stalking a cat or even a child like this, I would call her off. People are too much obsessed with controlling everything about their dogs and it slowly but surely erodes their self confidence. Just MHO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
She's 11 months old, still very much a puppy. She's just playing. My boy did it too and it was hilarious. Chill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts