German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs are really, really good about me clipping the nails. I just got done doing all 3. I went and got the clippers and sat down on the beds with them and they all sniffed it and layed down next to me. First Max, he just lays there and lets me go at it. Then Tank, he actually kind of enjoys it and lays on his back. Then Jessie, she just lays there too but has to make a few noises. I have never got the quick (spelling?) and been doing it for years. Then its off to a treat for them for being so good

Next its Sammy my cats turn but I have to wait for my husband to get home because he holds him while I clip. Sammy is pretty good about it too, but not near as good as the doggies.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
RUN!!!!!!!

Actually I dremel and the only one that resists is Kayos. I keep telling her resistance is futile but she is not buyig that.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
LOL, too cute
Mine are the same way. They actually push the other out of the way to be " First "
And then who ever has to wait sits very impatiently and can't wait

Now my cat......
My previous one was so easy as well, but this little wild monkey thinks I will kill him

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
I have to coax Risa over to get hers Dremeled. Once I'm doing it, she's okay. Not thrilled. Not even close to enjoying it. But tolerating it. She does try to pull her paws away on occasion. After we're done, she gets a treat.

Though I wish she would enjoy it a bit more, at least I don't have to shut her kennel door to keep her from hiding on me when I pull it out!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I Dremel too. They don't put up a fight but they do squirm a little. Nothing crazy, though. I just hate how long it takes.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
Lakota pulls her back feet away but they have always been a little sensitive to touch. It has progressed with her age.

Chimo just lays there but since he hurt his knee his one hind foot is a little more sensitive to touch as well. He gently pulls it back but doesnt fight it is I use minimal pressure to hold his foot.

Tika- just kicks back on her side with her "rest" command and waits for me to finish. Every now and then she will break but only because she thinks she is done.

Rayne- "are ya done yet?" Also just lays in her "rest" position and bounces up to zip around when I release her.

KC sulks a bit when she sees the clippers. If she can she will try to sneek off to the bedroom but comes back when called a bit reluctantly. Lays down obediently when asked. Gingerly tucking her toes under her body. I ask for a rest and she will lay her head down while trying to keep her feet tucked under her body. She will occasionally pull her foot back but will lay there as I clip them. She had one nail cut short twice when she was young. I swear the quick in that toe was twice as long as any other on her feet! But all in all she is ok with it, just subtley lets me know she doesn't really want her nails done.

Kanuck..... well I tell him to sit and he does but he isn't happy about it. I snip them easily because his are all nearly 100% white. He is also the perfect gentleman and cleans up all of the "fragements" while I am working on the others.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Brady just lays there, well chomping on his treat
has no Problems with it, I started to pretend to do it as training when he was a pupper so He is fine with it.

My lab on the other hand bolts the other way hates having her paws touched

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
it's no trouble at all, they are used to it since it's been done since they were babies. Now, ask me if they like - no, I don't think so!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bianca's old owner used a dremel. She doesn't seem to mind the dremel or clippers at all. Unfortunately I also have 8 cats in the house right now so that is 148 cat nails to clip (one is polydactyl.) They mostly accept the clipping ok, I mean without biting me or clawing me but they do struggle some.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Grimm relaxes, enjoying the same "spa music" (I hum a happy tune) he hears during his blissful grooming with the brushes. There's so jerk-away reflex, so I don't grab his feet, rather I fold 'em over upside-down, like a farrier when shoeing a horse. He gets (and GIVES) many kisses. I started fussing with his feet and "pretending" to nail clip when he was a pupster.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
I could trim Morgan's nails while the kids are playing ring around the rosey infront of her. She just does not care.

Otto was good about it but he had them done at the vet a few weeks ago (while he was there, why not they don't charge, NEVER again). The girl cut more than one too short, he bled all over the office, bled all over the car... when we were at the vet yesterday, he wasn't going to let THAT girl in his ears either, they had to call in the other vet tech just to get a swab in his ear.

I have a different, BETTER, clipper so I'm hoping he lets me do it next time they need it or he's off to Robin the groomer and her dremil.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
why can I see Otto stare down the girl, saying "I DON'T THINK SO"

·
Registered
298 Posts
Naomi runs away, and then reluctantly lays down.
It is always a battle of wills but she really doesn't expect to win.
She lets me continue with "pull the paw away" each foot until we are done.
Actually it doesn't take that long, and she is oh so happy when we are done!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Originally Posted By: Amaruq He is also the perfect gentleman and cleans up all of the "fragements" while I am working on the others.
my dobie used to do that when I was done clipping her nails.

Mandalay - I dont think she realizes that the dremel is going to file her nails..lol I take it out of the drawer and she'll follow me wherever I go (usually on the bed cuz it is easier to sit there). Then I have to give her a million tiny treats to keep her busy while I am trying to keep her from pulling her feet away. Ocassionally she'll get up, but usually she just lays there waiting for her treats and trying to get her feet away from me. She is not too bad, but she does not enjoy it in the slightest.

My cats used to have soft paws on their nail...that was a blast trying to get on them! I gave up and just clip their nails now. They wont let me use the dremel on them at all.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
Toby my 13 year old never liked his nails clipped. i have to sit and be patient for a few minutes. he hides his paws underneath his body. after a while he will let me do it, but turns his head the other way........lol! like a child getting a needle shot or something, doesn't want to watch. i guess he thinks its not happening if he doesn't see it.
Neka 3 years, is fine with it, never had any problems.
Sam 10 months, doesn't like it. he lays down and rolls around so i can't get his paws. same thing with him i have to be patient for a few minutes, and be real quick when i get the opportunity. this might take some time, and or i may have to do a few call it good and do some again later. then everyone gets a yummie treat! we make a big hoopla about that.

i think the boys are worse, big wusses!!!!!!

debbie

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
We get in the car, drive to the vet, pay for an office visit, stop by McDonald's for a burger, go home. $52.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hummer is perfect.
He just lays there and lets me clip away. No fuss whatsoever anymore, but of course he gets a treat when I'm finished. I do it about every 2-4 weeks, and have been since I got him at 4 months. He used to jerk his paws away and try to bite the clippers but now he has gotten to be wonderful about it. I love my dog!

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
LOL, the funniest part is me since my eyes are getting older. I use one of those flashlights you put on your head, and I have my cheater magnifier classes (bought in packs of three from Costco
). Thank goodness there have been no pictures taken!!

Max is wonderful, he just lays there, but he knows that he will get a treat. Indy is squirmy, but at 33 lbs, I cradle her between my legs while she is on her back.

I do trim the fur on their paws first - it makes it easier to clean their paws before they come into the house.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts