German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My guess may be for a dog to come or heal on demand,for safty of dog and people.When does this start with new pups? Is this a particuller difficult thing too train,my guess may learn as gets older??

·
Registered
692 Posts
I am making a video of my 5 month old and 'leave it" Maybe I can get it up after Christmas sometime.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I would have to go with a recall command being most important. The story on the forum of a dog backing out of his collar and getting run over by a car is a good example.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leave what? what is that command?do you mean like leave another dog alone? don't eat something? thanks

·
Registered
692 Posts
Re: what is most important command for gsd to lear

Originally Posted By: ojmleave what? what is that command?do you mean like leave another dog alone? don't eat something? thanks
It can mean anything, but for example in my video I put a steak on the ground and tell my pup "leave it" he doesn't touch the steak and then I treat him for it.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: ojmleave what? what is that command?do you mean like leave another dog alone? don't eat something? thanks
That's just it, it can be whatever. "Leave it" means whatever the dog has his attention focused on that we don't want it focused on. Very handy command.

I would agree with Dianna on recall, "leave it" and emergency down being the top 3 for safety reasons. Though all require a great deal of training and thus it will take a while for the dog to be reliable. The more correct and error free the training, the quicker the dog will learn. The emergency down will generally take the longest to train.

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
that's the beauty of leave it. it being anything. I could call duchess off of running after squirrels/rabbits by leave it, leave it regarding another dog, leave it regarding a dog treat sitting on her nose, leave it for her food bowl in front of her face for 5 min.

Leave it has a wonderfully large use

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would agree with everyone - I think the "basics" of recall/come, sit and down, leave it, and stay are all very important.

Sit/down and stay are basics and very helpful in redirecting behavior as well; and a good "stay" can help in dangerous situations (like when a jar broke in the kitchen the other week and Charlie was in a corner - no way for him to move without stepping on glass, and I was so glad he knew how to stay and we've worked on that so that we could get that floor swept up while he sat and watched!)

Leave it is important so that your dog won't be overly curious and pick up everything he can to "investigate," from magazines to MY dinner to the paper towel on the counter (or is that just Charlie, lol), or anything else that he/she shouldn't have

Recall/come could save your dog's life if he or she is starting to run into the street. To me, that is reason enough to work on that command every single day and make it a joy for your dog to come to you every time, right away!

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
"Leave it" to me means, "Get your mouth off it, get your paws off it, get your MIND off it, turn around and walk away from it, it is not your concern."

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I couldn't narrow it down to one or two commands. For me, I'd have to say it's 1) a reliable recall 2) Leave it and 3) Stay. Probably in that order. All three can be lifesavers.

Originally Posted By: ojmMy guess may be for a dog to come or heal on demand,for safty of dog and people.When does this start with new pups? Is this a particuller difficult thing too train,my guess may learn as gets older??
I've always started working on recall the day I bring them home. It can take patience with a new pup - their little brains are all over the place. There's so many new things to investigate! But my philosophy has always been that if you wait until they get a bit older before you expect them to catch on, you're more than likely allowing bad habits to take root in the meantime. For me, it seems easier to start teaching from day one than to expect them to all of a sudden start getting it when they're older.

·
Registered
692 Posts

Originally Posted By: GunnersMomI couldn't narrow it down to one or two commands. For me, I'd have to say it's 1) a reliable recall 2) Leave it and 3) Stay. Probably in that order. All three can be lifesavers.

Originally Posted By: ojmMy guess may be for a dog to come or heal on demand,for safty of dog and people.When does this start with new pups? Is this a particuller difficult thing too train,my guess may learn as gets older??
I've always started working on recall the day I bring them home. It can take patience with a new pup - their little brains are all over the place. There's so many new things to investigate! But my philosophy has always been that if you wait until they get a bit older before you expect them to catch on, you're more than likely allowing bad habits to take root in the meantime. For me, it seems easier to start teaching from day one than to expect them to all of a sudden start getting it when they're older.
I actually had a much more reliable recall at 10 weeks then I do at 20. In puppy class he would come running back to me when I called while he was in the midsts of a puppy play fight. Now, i have a hard time getting him to come when he is chasing a leaf lol. I agree, start early.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

Yes for me in this order - Recall, sit/stay, leave it.
All can be life savers.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

For me the most two important are Recall and Leave it, my pup eats and chases everything!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts

Originally Posted By: Axxel
Originally Posted By: GunnersMomI couldn't narrow it down to one or two commands. For me, I'd have to say it's 1) a reliable recall 2) Leave it and 3) Stay. Probably in that order. All three can be lifesavers.

I actually had a much more reliable recall at 10 weeks then I do at 20. In puppy class he would come running back to me when I called while he was in the midsts of a puppy play fight. Now, i have a hard time getting him to come when he is chasing a leaf lol. I agree, start early.
LOL. Yeah, moving leaves are pretty irresistable. I still have that problem, occasionally, with Riley and he's 17 months old. If I hadn't drilled it into his head from day one that he has to come when called, it would be an uphill battle at this point. At least now he's only momentarily distracted.

·
Registered
683 Posts

The MOST important for me would be a reliable recall. Seen too many dogs get away from their owner for some reason or another and in harms way with no chance of them ever coming when called.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts

For me, ANY command (whether it be a dog's name, recall, leave it) that STOPS the dog from what he is doing and directs his attention to you. So I guess I lump my recall/leave it into one.

Second I guess would be a down. And by down I mean one that can be commanded from any position or out of motion and the dog remains down until released. That's been pretty handy for me.

·
Registered
654 Posts

I agree with everyone thus far in regards to all the basic commands being incredibly important.

That said, personally, for my one extremely high drive (esp prey drive) and rambunctious girl, I would have to say the "down" command is a priority one, closely followed by a solid recall. Actually, for my boy, I would say "down" was also a biggie (particularly when we first got him)... if anyone has ever heard of having to do 50 downs a day for some dogs (in addition to NLIF) he was one of them!

My two cents, but I do also think that the most important command for a dog may also depend on the kind of dog one has

And my definition of a down is the same as Lies' 100%

1 - 20 of 29 Posts