German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Sage is a medium energy level (for a GSD). Yesterday we went hiking. Did about 8 miles with lots of climbing (that was not fun :crazy:) and Sage was not at my side but walking/running ahead and back to me, off leash at times playing in water, jumping, etc..

Had about a 1hr 45min ride back home where Sage layed down most of the way but did not sleep. When we got home he went out to potty and brought me his frisbee. I only tossed it a few times but he would have kept playing. Came inside to relax (I was beat). Sage took a nap. He still got up ready to go anytime I got up. Still had energy to play and would have if I had the energy. He was fine relaxing though (thankfully!!)

My mom thinks this means he's a high energy dog because her Boxer would have slept in the car and slept at home and not moved an inch all night and still be tired today. Today you would not know that Sage had such a good workout yesterday.

I thought this was pretty normal for a GSD but he's my first one so is that correct? I like him just the way he is and will be looking for similar energy level in a future GSD.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sasha used to sleep during the day. She never seems to sleep while I'm home during the week. She probably sleeps all day while I'm gone. On the weekends, she never sleeps if I'm around. She used to. I'm not sure what's normal. I sort of miss the young pup that would pass out. She doesn't seem to have an off button.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
How old is Sage?
How much did he sleep today?
He seems 'normal'. My dog grabs her frisbee and brings it to me
when she has been out running around.
Your dog may be medium/high. Mine is medium/medium.
She can really SLEEP and she can really GO.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've noticed that with mine. She plays hard.... she sleeps hard. She does most everything with gusto except eat. She makes all of us snicker at her... she always lays down and picks at her bowl.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog sleeps a lot. we can go for 5 mile
walks in the woods. on a 5 mile walk i stop
2 or 3 times. i throw my dogs ball for him a lot.
my dog is active when outdoors but laid back in the house
(unless i get him started). :)

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How old is Sage?
almost 28months old. He slept about 8 1/2hrs last night.

On a typical work day he gets at least 3hrs of exercise. An hour before I work, at least an hour with my 'dog walker' while I'm at work, and at least an hour when I get home from work. He used to not be able to relax if he got less than that but in the last 8 months or so he's been able to relax inside a lot better. 1 rainy day where he doesn't get to do much doesn't make him bonkers anymore.

I know some of that has to do with him being anxious... or what's the word I'm looking for? nervy? If we pretend he's solid nerved with an off switch a medium energy dog would be much the same "work" right?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
How old is Sage?
He seems 'normal'. My dog grabs her frisbee and brings it to me
when she has been out running around.
Your dog may be medium/high. Mine is medium/medium.
She can really SLEEP and she can really GO.
New writing style huh? LOL, I like it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My GSD had a mad time running after a grey hound today, she had no chance of catching it, but the grey hound tired in about a minute and half of tearing around meanwhile my girl showed no signs of tiring. When the GH went to lie down in the grass puffing and panting she ran back to me with her ball in her mouth and kept running full pelt after the ball and kept retrieving for a good 30 minutes... gsds are built for endurance, it becomes really apparent when you can compare there energy levels to other breeds of dogs.. not saying that there aren't other types of dogs that wouldn't outstrip a gsd in endurance, but they are definitely up there alright:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts