1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I'd imagine its a pressure issue? Maybe I'll try to be the first lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
The sport trends towards Mals because they are not the thinkers that GSD's are. The level 3 trial is one in which you are given the routine the day of the trial. It involves multiple attackers coming from various directions and various changes to the obedience routine. The handler and the dog must react and choose the targeted helper as there may be 3 helpers in bitesuits coming at the team. On the obedience side, you have to do a routine that may not have been practiced together as a whole. GSD's are capable of participating but certainly excel in very routine driven sports. I just got involved with my GSD in PSA as having participated in Schutzhund, I just wanted to try something different. Most who participate will tell you a Mal will just do what's asked whereas a GSD may think, "have we done this before". At least that is my best understanding. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sport trends towards Mals because they are not the thinkers that GSD's are. The level 3 trial is one in which you are given the routine the day of the trial. It involves multiple attackers coming from various directions and various changes to the obedience routine. The handler and the dog must react and choose the targeted helper as there may be 3 helpers in bitesuits coming at the team. On the obedience side, you have to do a routine that may not have been practiced together as a whole. GSD's are capable of participating but certainly excel in very routine driven sports. I just got involved with my GSD in PSA as having participated in Schutzhund, I just wanted to try something different. Most who participate will tell you a Mal will just do what's asked whereas a GSD may think, "have we done this before". At least that is my best understanding. Good Luck.

Huh! Thanks for the insight. I wish there was PSA near me. I really want to check it out. I guess it would really affect those that pattern train. I don't but then again my trainer did PSA for a bit so maybe that's something they picked up from it.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Honestly it might be a popularity issue. I wouldn't know where to go to train PSA but there are 8 or so SchH clubs within a 3 hour drive from me (and three of these clubs also have people who have done SDA and are decoys or judges hence why I've done that too).

·
Registered
740 Posts
It is much less a popularity issue as it is other "problems"..

Witz summarized it extremely well!

I have seen several GSDs over the years compete in PSA and have only seen fewer than I can count on one hand that can withstand the environmental distractions and pressure from the decoys at the upper levels.

I certainly hope that changes and always hope more people with GSDs try it. I have a dog in my club I believe can do it ( he is SchH3, PSA1) and I have a young dog I will compete with after we are done with IPO :)

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Maybe it's a regional thing then. Here I've had dozens of people ask me about PSA and I don't know what to tell them. I have no idea who's doing it or where they would go. I'd love to try myself! Honestly I think just as many people ask me about PSA as Schutzhund any other sport but if no one's doing it and there are no good clubs.... (same thing with SDA)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi all,

This thead leads into a question I was going to post. I'm 5 weeks away from picking up my pup and already have a recomendation for Schutzhund club from my trainer who I plan on contacting in the near future. I'm also intrested in PSA, I've been to the PSA site and can't find any club lists. Does a list exist? That site is horrible.
I see there is a trial in Maryland on the 1st of June but thats also when I'll be traveling to pick up my new pup.

This same trainer had suggested 10 years ago when I had first started obediance with my Pitbull to check out PSA but he's lost contact with many of the members and doesn't know where to send me now. I live in Maryland and will travel to NOVA, and PA to train.

Back to the Shutzhund and this can be ignored if its "cross contaminating" and my feelings wouldn't be hurt. I was reffered to Mid Atlantic Schutzhund club, any other suggestions? for the same MD, NOVA, PA region? I live close to Baltimore.

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Same here. Nothing under 2 to three hours and no SDA in NY at all. From what the President of SDA has told me, the nearest one would be New Jersey.... thanks but no thanks.

We have one working dog club in Syracuse. Last year, the decoy was traveling all around the country plus the training times just don't work for me and I'm not going to drive one and a half hour, take my dog out for maybe 10 minutes and then drive back home.

I'm just not doing that any longer, period!

If I drive over an hour, I want to get some work done. Let me take my dog out two or three times, if I get at least half an hour, hour work in, that's great but not just 10 minutes.

Gotta say, that is what I loved about the Hampton group. Your dogs really got worked and sometimes you took your dog out more than just once.

PSA... I don't even know where to start looking for that.

Edit: 5 and a half hours. Not going to drive that for training unless I'm going to stay for a week!

Club List: http://psak9.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Clubs_WebVersion_April18.pdf

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
I don't think this is a dog problem. It's a RESOURCE problem! There are just no resources out there so a lot of people probably don't even bother going for the 3 or just don't have the Resources. It's getting frustrating in IPO... it's a plain and simple resource problem. How you going to train if no one is doing it?

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
The resources for schutzhund are so hard to find - PSA is nigh onto impossible...there are usually little clusters of clubs - perhaps they cluster because of drama and politics causing rifts and new clubs to be formed - then you have hundreds of miles until you find another one....basically I would have to go 200 +/- miles to find something that might be drama free and get good training.

Yes, many people rely on pattern training and I think that the person as well as the dog would have problems with a 'simon says' type of test.....your mindset will have to be more open and the dog actually trained to respond to you rather than trained to do specific actions to specific stimuli. I think my old male could have done it.

Lee

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hi all,

This thead leads into a question I was going to post. I'm 5 weeks away from picking up my pup and already have a recomendation for Schutzhund club from my trainer who I plan on contacting in the near future. I'm also intrested in PSA, I've been to the PSA site and can't find any club lists. Does a list exist? That site is horrible.
I see there is a trial in Maryland on the 1st of June but thats also when I'll be traveling to pick up my new pup.

This same trainer had suggested 10 years ago when I had first started obediance with my Pitbull to check out PSA but he's lost contact with many of the members and doesn't know where to send me now. I live in Maryland and will travel to NOVA, and PA to train.

Back to the Shutzhund and this can be ignored if its "cross contaminating" and my feelings wouldn't be hurt. I was reffered to Mid Atlantic Schutzhund club, any other suggestions? for the same MD, NOVA, PA region? I live close to Baltimore.
Hi there!

I actually manage the PSA website and am quite involved in the sport (my fiancé is the founder of the sport), so I would be happy to help you navigate the site, answer any questions you may have, etc.

There actually probably the most clubs of any region of the country located in the NOVA/MD/PA area, so you're in pretty good shape. :)

Please feel free to contact me!

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
I found the list - it is a bit buried instead of having a button of it's own! - a few in MD - the OH one is Cincinnatti - so nearly 5 hours away....there is only one PA and not close to here either...the WVA one is not close to WPA border - nothing within 4 hours at least...

Lee

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't think this is a dog problem. It's a RESOURCE problem! There are just no resources out there so a lot of people probably don't even bother going for the 3 or just don't have the Resources. It's getting frustrating in IPO... it's a plain and simple resource problem. How you going to train if no one is doing it?
It is really a combination of resources and dogs.. trust me.

PSA has grown exponentially from when it first began 12 years ago. Statistically (based on entries/trial and total entries per year), it is actually the largest bite suit sport in the country, by a long shot.

There are clubs all over the country, but unfortunately it is true that they are scattered and not at all as plentiful as schutzhund clubs. We all know this is the US and not Europe.. schutzhund clubs have never been as easily available here as they are in Belgium or Germany because it is a gigantic country. Many people I know travel 2+ hours one way to their schutzhund clubs. You can't really expect a sport with significantly less membership to be any more readily available than that.. can you?

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Who said I'm expecting anything. But they can't expect people to drive hours upon hours and charge astronomical prices on top of that either. Sorry, my husband is a little SPC in the military. Can't do it!

I don't care what others can afford or what they cannot afford. I know what we can afford and we can't afford SchH, PSA OR SDA. It's as simple as that. It's not doable for us.

It's great when others have the means and resources to do it. Others don't... doesn't mean I expect anything to change. It won't, it might only get worse because numbers are declining and soon the Club has to rethink it's strategy.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
In MI there are several IPO clubs, but many are clustered in one area on the East side of the state(German settlers!)
On my side(West) there are none....so yes I travel at least an hour 2xs a week for one club and two hours once a week for my club. No SDA, PSA clubs though there is interest ~ many IPO clubs do SDA/PSA type scenario's, not just the IPO style.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am going to look into PSA this summer. I think Dante will do well in it. Schutzhund bores him. We shall see. I know this means more driving for me though, audio books!!!!! :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts