German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is IPO? How can a dog start IPO and what do they look for ina. dog? I have a 5 month old German showline who has a high food, tug and prey drive.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Google:

Schutzhund (/'ʃʊtshʊnt/, German for "protection dog"), currently known competitively as IGP and previously as IPO, is a dog sport that tests a dog's tracking, obedience, and protection skills, and evaluates if a dog has the appropriate traits and characteristics of a good working dog.

What is the difference between IPO and Schutzhund?
In today's modern format, there is virtually no difference between Schutzhund and IPO. Both were developed for the same purpose. IPO is the International standard, and at one time had a different set of rules as determined by the governing body of FCI.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
What is IPO? How can a dog start IPO and what do they look for ina. dog? I have a 5 month old German showline who has a high food, tug and prey drive.
It is a breed test with 3 phases. Protection, obedience and tracking. Look up the Canadian schutzhund club and look for local clubs.

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google:

Schutzhund (/'ʃʊtshʊnt/, German for "protection dog"), currently known competitively as IGP and previously as IPO, is a dog sport that tests a dog's tracking, obedience, and protection skills, and evaluates if a dog has the appropriate traits and characteristics of a good working dog.

What is the difference between IPO and Schutzhund?
In today's modern format, there is virtually no difference between Schutzhund and IPO. Both were developed for the same purpose. IPO is the International standard, and at one time had a different set of rules as determined by the governing body of FCI.
what does a dog need to start ipo?

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
what does a dog need to start ipo?
Well, first, find a club. Your dog should be evaluated by the club training director. Look up the Canadian schutzhund club and look for local clubs.

Your dog will be eval'd. there are three phases so expect to spend a lot of time training. And it's an expensive sport to start out. Once you know a little and have accumulated equipment, it gets easier. At 5 months, you should start foundation in obedience and tracking. I wouldn't get to concerned about protection yet.

Your dog needs drive and solid nerves. Hunt drive for tracking. IGP tracking is very obedience based but they still need the desire to hunt and find. Obedience - your dog should want to work. Dogs that are higher prey are easier to train in obedience than dogs higher in defense. Protection - prey drive and a full grip will take you far. I have one higher in prey and the other higher in aggression. It is a journey figuring out the one after 6 years with the other.

this sport puts stress on dogs. Your dog needs to be able to work thru that stress. I'm not talking about beating your dog. But the precision and duration that is required can put a lot of stress on some dogs.

So go find a club and see where it takes you :)

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, first, find a club. Your dog should be evaluated by the club training director. Look up the Canadian schutzhund club and look for local clubs.

Your dog will be eval'd. there are three phases so expect to spend a lot of time training. And it's an expensive sport to start out. Once you know a little and have accumulated equipment, it gets easier. At 5 months, you should start foundation in obedience and tracking. I wouldn't get to concerned about protection yet.

Your dog needs drive and solid nerves. Hunt drive for tracking. IGP tracking is very obedience based but they still need the desire to hunt and find. Obedience - your dog should want to work. Dogs that are higher prey are easier to train in obedience than dogs higher in defense. Protection - prey drive and a full grip will take you far. I have one higher in prey and the other higher in aggression. It is a journey figuring out the one after 6 years with the other.

this sport puts stress on dogs. Your dog needs to be able to work thru that stress. I'm not talking about beating your dog. But the precision and duration that is required can put a lot of stress on some dogs.

So go find a club and see where it takes you :)
how do you know if a dog is weak or strong nerved? and do they need to have very high prey drives or somewhat of a prey drive? And how do you know if a dog wants to work?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
how do you know if a dog is weak or strong nerved? and do they need to have very high prey drives or somewhat of a prey drive? And how do you know if a dog wants to work?
The dogs don’t need to have high prey drive. Some of the best digs aren’t actually prey monsters. High prey drive makes them easier to train in certain situations, and allows you to start working them earlier. All shepherds want to work in my opinion. Bear started out paying zero attention to tugs, sleeves, decoys, or anything else. He now whines and drags me to the field to work. If you use mostly positive methods, your dog should enjoy working. Once most dogs learn what is expected and what they are allowed to do, they absolutely love protection work. As for nerves, I guess I would ask how stable your dog is? How does he handle new experiences? How easy is it to rattle him?

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dogs don’t need to have high prey drive. Some of the best digs aren’t actually prey monsters. High prey drive makes them easier to train in certain situations, and allows you to start working them earlier. All shepherds want to work in my opinion. Bear started out paying zero attention to tugs, sleeves, decoys, or anything else. He now whines and drags me to the field to work. If you use mostly positive methods, your dog should enjoy working. Once most dogs learn what is expected and what they are allowed to do, they absolutely love protection work. As for nerves, I guess I would ask how stable your dog is? How does he handle new experiences? How easy is it to rattle him?
he wants to play with every human he sees, he also walks on a than ledge that is a foot long before falling into the pool. i have another dog who is afraid of the vacuum but my gsd loves to chase and bite it. he is reactive to dogs though. What do you mean by rattle him? He also loves loves loves loves his flirt pole.

·
Registered
Fonzie, German Shepherd
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
he was afraid of certain staircases but only to go down them, he would cry cuz he wanted to go down but was able to sprint up. he's pretty calm in the house. he is a little barky but I blast music and he doesn't care. he sometimes barks at himself in the mirror. he likes to explore and eat everything off the floor.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where in Canada are you located? I can suggest a club. I am in SW Ontario just outside of Toronto.

·
Registered
580 Posts
If you have to ask this question, you’re safer just going to the club and letting them see your dog. They’ll know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
he was afraid of certain staircases but only to go down them, he would cry cuz he wanted to go down but was able to sprint up. he's pretty calm in the house. he is a little barky but I blast music and he doesn't care. he sometimes barks at himself in the mirror. he likes to explore and eat everything off the floor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts